Options

"Inland Empire" by David Lynch

GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Saw this movie on big screen on wednesday this week. What a movie!
I want to talk about it with anyone who'd like to share his or her thoughts on it. Maybe there is nothing to explain or to interpretate but it impressed a lot and I can't keep it to myself...

I really can't make an interpretation for the WHOLE movie. For example, I saw "Lost Highway", which appears to me as a collage of subconscious parts of at least one mind or the minds of the people that are involved in the story and these parts come to life as sceneries or persons...maybe.
And I saw "Blue Velvet" which is pretty easy to take, although it scared me a lot...almost the same feeling that I got after watching one night the first "Dogma" movie (what's the English title? In German it's "Das Fest" - "The fest/party/...")...that was the SECOND time I watched, but this time, like it was for "Blue Velvet" I was watching it alone...a feeling of deep loneliness, a mixture of fear and depression...

...concerning "Inland Empire" I felt a little like this at some points...the pictures and the language are so powerful...it's like he (Lynch) took the whole crap of one's subconscience (maybe a collective "hurt womanhood" ... and "manhood", too?) and formed it into the shape of a surrealistic nightmare which basically includes transformations ... historical, interpersonal, perspectivally ...

a movie in a movie in a movie in a mind of a mind in a mind?

Your thoughts! I'm pretty curious...
#Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    GetALife wrote:
    Saw this movie on big screen on wednesday this week. What a movie!
    I want to talk about it with anyone who'd like to share his or her thoughts on it. Maybe there is nothing to explain or to interpretate but it impressed a lot and I can't keep it to myself...

I really can't make an interpretation for the WHOLE movie. For example, I saw "Lost Highway", which appears to me as a collage of subconscious parts of at least one mind or the minds of the people that are involved in the story and these parts come to life as sceneries or persons...maybe.
    And I saw "Blue Velvet" which is pretty easy to take, although it scared me a lot...almost the same feeling that I got after watching one night the first "Dogma" movie (what's the English title? In German it's "Das Fest" - "The fest/party/...")...that was the SECOND time I watched, but this time, like it was for "Blue Velvet" I was watching it alone...a feeling of deep loneliness, a mixture of fear and depression...

...concerning "Inland Empire" I felt a little like this at some points...the pictures and the language are so powerful...it's like he (Lynch) took the whole crap of one's subconscience (maybe a collective "hurt womanhood" ... and "manhood", too?) and formed it into the shape of a surrealistic nightmare which basically includes transformations ... historical, interpersonal, perspectivally ...

a movie in a movie in a movie in a mind of a mind in a mind?

Your thoughts! I'm pretty curious...
    Very very complex film. I do love it though. Like everyone else, I think I'm still struggling to come up with a complete explanation for it, but I do think it is generally about method acting and how that affects both the subconscious and conscious self. And I do think it is the Polish woman's story, not Niki's. There are many things in Niki's world that always reference the Polish woman's world, but not the other way around. I'll post my notes on the movie later when I get home.

Glad someone else is wanting to discuss it!