George Bush is buying me Pearl Jam tickets!

indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
edited March 2008 in The Porch
So I HATE Bush and Republicans in general, and I was determined to foil this ridiculous "Economic Stimulus Refund" by paying off credit card debt. Now though, George Bush is buying me Pearl Jam tickets!!! I'm gonna use that money to replace what I'm paying for tix. That seems like a worthy Anti-Republican cause to me! ;) So FUCK YOU GEORGE BUSH, I'm giving my money to Pearl Jam!
I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    I thought the same exact thing the other day. Thank you Bush! I am going to buy my plane tickets and pay for my hotel with my tax rebate :D
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Not to be the Devil advocate but you are actually doing exactly what they want you to do with the money: put it back into the economy. So if you want to screw the Bush save it... But either way, they still are paying for a semi-anti bush rally =)
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh
    2006: Camden I & II, Continental II (NJ)
    2008: Camden I & II, DC, MSG I & II (NYC), & EV: NYC II
    2009: Spectrum last 2 nights
    2012: EV: Orlando I & II, Ft. Lauderdale I
    2013: Brooklyn I & II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale & Miami
  • DeadpoolDeadpool Posts: 155
    Couldn't have said it better lateralus. Here is just another example of ignorance when it comes to the economy and finances. I can't stand Bush but at the same time why keep spending when you area have debtor obligations.
  • mdg164mdg164 Posts: 206
    So I HATE Bush and Republicans in general, and I was determined to foil this ridiculous "Economic Stimulus Refund" by paying off credit card debt. Now though, George Bush is buying me Pearl Jam tickets!!! I'm gonna use that money to replace what I'm paying for tix. That seems like a worthy Anti-Republican cause to me! ;) So FUCK YOU GEORGE BUSH, I'm giving my money to Pearl Jam!

Wow the ignorance just drips from your post. You are not screwing Bush, you're screwing your country. I'm not going to get in to your hating Bush or the Republicans. I'm not going to ask if you studied political science in college, or ask whether you opinions are based on your parents views, what TV tells you, or what your favorite band tells you. I could have guessed your political views if you would have stopped at "credit card debt." But do you realize that a little over one year ago:

1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
    2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
    3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%. (basically full employment)

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006, we're seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
    2) the cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3 a gallon;
    3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
    4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
    5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
    6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it! But it turned out to be a change for the worst. Thanks Nancy Pelosi!
    09/02/00 09/05/00
    04/25/03 05/02/03 5/3/03 6/24/03 6/28/03 7/5/03 7/6/03 7/11/03 7/12/03 7/14/03
    09/28/04 09/29/04 10/01/04 10/02/04
    09/28/05 09/30/05 10/03/05
    5/24/06 5/25/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/01/06 6/03/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 7/22/06 7/23/06
    6/20/08 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Pretty funny
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • bryionakbryionak Posts: 27
    Not to split hairs but it is really people with large incomes, corporations, and your children and/or future generations that are buying you PJ tickets. Thank them. They don't get thanked enough.
    1994-4-08 Fairfax, VA GMU Patriot Center
    1996-9-24 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    1998-9-18 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    2006-5-30 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2008-6-22 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2010-5-13 Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
    2022-9-14 Camden, NJ 
  • mdg164 wrote:
    Wow the ignorance just drips from your post. You are not screwing Bush, you're screwing your country. I'm not going to get in to your hating Bush or the Republicans. I'm not going to ask if you studied political science in college, or ask whether you opinions are based on your parents views, what TV tells you, or what your favorite band tells you. I could have guessed your political views if you would have stopped at "credit card debt." But do you realize that a little over one year ago:

4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it! But it turned out to be a change for the worst. Thanks Nancy Pelosi!

are you fucking kidding me? this is all the fault of the democratic congress ... in just a little more than a year? the administration that's been in place for the past 7 years had nothing to do with any of this?

wait ... is that you, karl?
    Give way to nature ...
  • actually Bush is screwing YOU!! this "economic stimulus" shit is really only an advance of your taxes for next year.

seems not to many people know this.
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    with the country already being bankrupt and in a recession, i'm wondering where the money for this program is coming from?

are we borrowing it from another country? are we just magically creating it out of thin air?
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    can't we...can't we all just get along??? Please, can;t we all just get along?
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • DPrival78 wrote:
    with the country already being bankrupt and in a recession, i'm wondering where the money for this program is coming from?

are we borrowing it from another country? are we just magically creating it out of thin air?

we're borrowing it. NPR had a great report about this a few weeks ago.
    Give way to nature ...
  • PJ N DCPJ N DC Posts: 183
    mdg164 wrote:

You are 100% correct! Way to go Donkey's!
    92 - (Lollapalooza)
    96 - Columbia,MD
    98 - VA Beach
    00 - VA Beach, Columbia, MD
    03 - Pittsburgh, State College, PA, Bristow, VA, Scranton, PA
    05 - St. Johns, Newfoundland, Pittsburgh, Newark, The Vic
    08 - Washington, DC (EV Solo), VA Beach, Washington, DC
    09 - Philadelphia (EV Solo) & Philadelphia (Spectrum Shows)
    10 - Bristow, VA
    12 - Philadelphia (Made in America Festival)
    13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Charlottesville, VA, Charlotte, NC
    14 - St. Louis, MO
    16 - Hampton, VA, Philadelphia 2, New York City 1&2
    18 - Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    22 - LA 1 & LA 2, Hamilton, ON, Toronto
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    actually Bush is screwing YOU!! this "economic stimulus" shit is really only an advance of your taxes for next year.

No, you're getting this confused with the "rebate" from a few years ago. This is completely tax-free and is not an advance from next year's return.

It's a dumb idea, and wont' do shit for the economy, but there are no strings attached.
    jwillmo wrote:
    No, you're getting this confused with the "rebate" from a few years ago. This is completely tax-free and is not an advance from next year's return.

It's a dumb idea, and wont' do shit for the economy, but there are no strings attached.
    Um, if there are no strings attached and this is, "FREE MONEY", so to speak, explain to me why this is dumb? Just curious!!
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    dirtyT wrote:
    Um, if there are no strings attached and this is, "FREE MONEY", so to speak, explain to me why this is dumb? Just curious!!

We're borrowing the money from the Chinese I believe. Borrowing money is our problem.

The gov't can't control itself and neither can our society. ie...people mortgaging homes they couldn't afford.

Hillary, Obama, and big brother will all save the dumbasses that can't do a simple personal budget though. Thank God for the government! :eek:
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    dirtyT wrote:
    I was speaking from the economy's perspective. Obviously, from my perspective it's awesome. But I feel like the camerman at the wedding in the Godfather, and W is Sonny Corleone throwing a few bucks at me as I pick up my smashed camera.
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    jwillmo wrote:
    I was speaking from the economy's perspective. Obviously, from my perspective it's awesome. But I feel like the camerman at the wedding in the Godfather, and W is Sonny Corleone throwing a few bucks at me as I pick up my smashed camera.

Nice analogy!
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • RATS36RATS36 Posts: 14
    The guy above that actually supported his ideas with facts is right on!!! Ignorance in the country is the equivalent of a plague. While I don't want to get into a political debate, I think it's hilarious the lemming mentality of the majority of this forum. Lets just regurgitate what Ed tells us and what our parents rant about so we don't have to think for ourselves. I am a huge pj fan, but I don't agree with all their political views. After all, the best part of living in the United States is that we can agree to disagree free of persecution!!! Pearl Jam is to be commended for actively taking a role in supporting what they believe; people on this forum should follow that lead, and not just adopt someone else's view as their own!!!!
  • DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    we're borrowing it. NPR had a great report about this a few weeks ago.

great. so we'll just end up having to pay it back WITH interest later on one way or another.

this $600, like any other federal reserve-issued money, is nothing but a bill.

i'll have to check out that NPR report.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Well said!
  • I don't think it's fair that whenever anyone's view is in accordance with Ed's, it's immediately dismissed. I tend to agree with some of Ed's political leanings, but my views were arrived at by studying philosophy, economics, and political science. The fact that I dislike what Bush has done while in office does not mean that I am simply following what my parents or anyone else believes, it means that in this situation, my opinion tends to agree with the majority, which makes it easy for the minority to dismiss as not being well-founded.

That being said, as a recipient of this little gift from Bush I still think it's a bad idea, because the last time I checked giving away large sums of money isn't the best idea when there is a massive national debt.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
    jwillmo wrote:
    I know, sorry. Just being dumb!!! All love!!
  • RATS36RATS36 Posts: 14
    Then take the money, and if you have student loans, use it to pay off some of the interest. That way you are using their money to pay them back, or better yet, if you have children, open a money market account and start a college fund. That will save your child from having to borrow from the government to go to school and deprive them of getting your child's interest on student loans.....since everyone on here is so anti government!!!!
  • jwillmo wrote:

i'm not confused,you're being lied to (as usual)

http://functionalambivalent.typepad.com/blog/2008/02/can-this-be-tru.html?referer=sphere_related_content

http://www2.oanda.com/cgi-bin/msgboard/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001598

http://www.libertyforum.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ll_chat&Number=296060147&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=21&part

also they print this money out of thin air with no backing(gold,silver)that's the reason for the hyper inflation taking place which is going to get much worse (see post war Germany)
  • i didnt want to post in this thread but i cant take ignorance. Ok, if you think the country can be bankrupt sent into depression in 1 fucking year, you're borderline retarded! Maybe this little war and the over 1 TRILLION dollars that has been wasted on it is why the economy blows donkey dick?

What alot of people dont understand about gas and oil is they are pubicly traded commodities. So the rich assholes across the world drive these prices up not a dem congress. Yes the weak dollar is a huge factor as is supply and demand. But seeing how demand has fallen over the last three months and prices are still rediculous i think its pretty safe to say investors are driving the prices up.

Understand i'm not making this a democrat vs. republican thing. I think they are all scumbags who care about the bottom line which just happens to be "their pocket". I'm saying this is hands down the worst president and cabinet in U.S. history. In all honesty i will probably vote for Mcain when election time comes around. Obama has 1 year under his belt and Hilary is a lying sac. Nice job leaving John Edwards at home again, idiot democrats.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    i didnt want to post in this thread but i cant take ignorance. Ok, if you think the country can be bankrupt sent into depression in 1 fucking year, you're borderline retarded! Maybe this little war and the over 1 TRILLION dollars that has been wasted on it is why the economy blows donkey dick?

What alot of people dont understand about gas and oil is they are pubicly traded commodities. So the rich assholes across the world drive these prices up not a dem congress. Yes the weak dollar is a huge factor as is supply and demand. But seeing how demand has fallen over the last three months and prices are still rediculous i think its pretty safe to say investors are driving the prices up.

Understand i'm not making this a democrat vs. republican thing. I think they are all scumbags who care about the bottom line which just happens to be "their pocket". I'm saying this is hands down the worst president and cabinet in U.S. history. In all honesty i will probably vote for Mcain when election time comes around. Obama has 1 year under his belt and Hilary is a lying sac. Nice job leaving John Edwards at home again, idiot democrats.

I agree and since I consider myself a Reagan Republican...W is and has been an utter disaster. The growth in the size of the gov't (ie spending) has been ridiculous. I also don't believe Hillary or Obama's promises to save everyone will help this economic situation. At some point we have to stop borrowing from the Chinese to pay for everything.
  • fraidknotfraidknot Posts: 38
    I, like many others here, am going to say "i didnt want to post here... but...", The topic was too tempting... I love the blame bush crowd, they make such interesting arguments... "There is a reduction in US cases of Aids amonst gay men, and and George bush is behind it, with Halibutron, because they are forcing gays out of the military in a secret covert plan to blow up a building..."

ok, so no one really said that, but its just insane what ill-informed folks will say. Heres the basics... if you do your best and are able to succeed by your own efforts you should be rewarded... when the government makes it less possible to succeed, or restricts your success by taxes or laws, you are in America... The only place on earth that can call it self a democracy and have a "Free economy" but still tax and ridicule those who succeed for doing so. If you are rich, good for you, if you are poor, sorry..., but lets all pay the same share because its not my fault you are either poor or rich...

Oh and please, feel free to buy your tix with the extra money... thats what they want you to do, and there isnt a damn thing wrong with it... I am going to Vegas, because the economy is SOOOOO bad...
  • mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    actually Bush is screwing YOU!! this "economic stimulus" shit is really only an advance of your taxes for next year.

I do realize that. But I get like $7000 back every year so if they want to advance some to me now so I can go see PJ I think that is great!
    Yes I know we should claim more dependents on my husband's W2 but we would rather get a lump sum every year instead of more each paycheck.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • bryionakbryionak Posts: 27

uh, you may want to check out some more reputable sources. A few weeks back there was some confusing based on something the treasury secretary said, CNN ran with it for a few hours, leading to most of the quotes in the links you have posted.

The stimulus check is not taxable by the fed gov't. It is up to the states if they want to tax it. Most won't.

The stimulus check will not increase your tax liability for 2008 nor will decrease the amount of your refund you will receive in 2009 after you file your 2008 taxes.

These are facts.

"also they print this money out of thin air with no backing(gold,silver)"
    True (well techinically the money is backed by the goods and services of the American people)

"that's the reason for the hyper inflation taking place which is going to get much worse"
    uh if you think hyper inflation is going on then you don't know what hyper inflation is. current inflation can be explained by the current accounts deficit and the increase in energy costs
    1994-4-08 Fairfax, VA GMU Patriot Center
    1996-9-24 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    1998-9-18 Columbia Maryland Merriweather Post Pavilion
    2006-5-30 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2008-6-22 Washington, DC Verizon Center
    2010-5-13 Bristow, VA Jiffy Lube Live
    2013-10-29 Charlottesville, VA John Paul Jones Arena
    2022-9-14 Camden, NJ