Options

6/19/08 Camden, NJ - The Experience Of It All

OwenScottVerdeOwenScottVerde Posts: 1
edited July 2008 in The Porch
(A post from http://www.tribeofdad.net)

Pearl Jam, On The Road, Built To Last
June 27th, 2008

Several nights ago Dr. Hob, the aforementioned advocate for alternative medicine who empowered me to pollute a paint client’s meticulous garden, and myself traveled to Camden, NJ to witness the live rock and roll power that is Pearl Jam. If you have not heard of Camden, NJ, the most dangerous city in the good old United States then please read on and hear me out. If you are not familiar with Dr. Hob might I suggest going through our growing library/past posts and read “Pooh Stories without Winnie” (May 18th – Three Parter). Lastly, If you are not aware that Pearl Jam is alive and well years after the death of grunge, well then might I make yet another suggestion, give a listen to their seven studio albums since they broke mainstream with the release of the multi million selling Ten, and go see them live, if you can get a ticket. For a solid 15 years the fine gentlemen of Pearl Jam have been releasing records and touring the world to sold out crowds.

O.K. Time for a confession. I will proudly wave my geek flag high on this one; I have been a member of Pearl Jam’s fan club for years. I’m an O.G. (original gangster), and it serves me well. Through the fan club I receive very affordable tickets, seats, very, I mean, very close to the stage. The photo above was taken by me at one of their shows.

With varied guests I have seen Pearl Jam perform at least eight times. Every different guest I bring instantly becomes a convert, and is thoroughly impressed by the musicianship and passion of the band. Honestly, they improve every time I see them. In an age of one hit wonders, lip syncing superstars, company designed bands with brilliant marketing campaigns, and over priced tickets, the fine gentlemen of Pearl Jam set themselves apart by being a hugely successful group of veteran musicians who reciprocate their fan’s loyalty and enthusiasm by putting on two hour plus, emotionally driven rock and roll concerts nightly. They never repeat a set list either, never. Thought, what’s it like rehearsing for shows like that, they have over 75 to 100 songs to pull from? Skills.

Dr. Hob and I left my house at 5 in the evening and returned at 3:30 in the morning. Basically, we drove to Philadelphia and back in one long night. That. Is. A Lot. Of. Driving. The venue they played at is named after some bank, I forgot, intentionally. It’s located in a very poor, dying city called Camden. Camden is just across the Delaware River from Philadelphia, the historical city this country’s laws/principles, and structure was written in and put into practice. Sadly, Camden is not part of the same America our forefathers had in mind. It is everything but. Camden, a city made up of mostly African Americans, is a sad reminder that not everything written in the Constitution is true, not everyone is equal, and everyone does not have the same ability to pursue the American dream. Both the infrastructure and education system are in shambles. Unemployment runs rampant, and so do violent, drug related crimes. I’m no expert, or sociologist; I just know this from the newspapers, and media broadcasts.

From first hand experience, while driving through disheveled neighborhoods full of worthless real estate to get to a multi million dollar concert facility, I was reminded that there are many different Americas. If the developers that devised the Harbor Center, comprised of the concert venue, aquarium and other attractions were attempting to breathe life into this ailing city then they failed. The process of regentrification stopped at the harbor area, the surrounding neighborhoods were desolate except for the people sitting on their crumbling porches and front stoops. As a cavalcade of white people, myself being one of them, drove through their neighborhood in well kept, expensive cars, making their way to the concert, I wondered what went through their heads, their souls, their empty pockets as the influx of white folk came and went to see a fancy rock and roll show, never to return because they didn’t have to, and had lives, careers, educations, opportunities else where. I also wondered if they could hear the nightly concerts; did the music keep their small children up at night? Frankly, It’s insulting, and a part of me felt guilty. I was with a great friend, Dr. Hob, and he felt the same way.

We parked in a police patrolled parking lot, and drank imported beer. The summer night changed our somber mood by being beautiful with a refreshing late night June breeze. Hob and I shook ourselves of the blues, drank some beers, and caught up. It was great. We headed over to the outdoor arena, picked up my fan club tickets, made our way to our seats, fifth row son, fifth row, and anxiously waited for Pearl Jam to take the stage. When they did it was all worth it. When they played over 25 songs it was well worth it. Standing next to Hob, a friend of over 20 years, made the long, long drive well worth it. I realized my friendships, like Pearl Jam, are built to last. On this road of life its good to tour with a band like Pearl Jam, and a friend like Dr. Hob.

Often, the band closes their shows with a charging rendition of Neil Young’s “ Keep On Rockin’ In The Free World.” However, this night they did not. Fitting. Because in the city of Camden not everyone is rocking in the free world, they’re just surviving, barely. They closed with Yellow Leadbetter, an amazing song. Mike Mc Cready the talented lead guitarist wrapped up the song by playing The Star Spangled Banner a la Jimi Hendrix. It was very distorted and there was a lot of furious feedback. The people of Camden definitely heard that.

For My Friend – Dr. Hob – Love Reign Over Me
-Owen Scott Verde
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments