Options

Here's a ridiculous notion

ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have to grade finals and have them posted in 48 hours...is there any way I could possibly read 40, 20 page papers, and have them read to the full extent that they should be?

This is a task up there with Santa Claus actually delivering gifts to billions of children around the world. Of course he always seems to forget the poor one's -to quote Riley from the Boondocks-"it's time to pay up you bitch ass nigga", but that's for another time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Procrastination is a bitch :p
    I should know, I'm writing a ten page paper for tomorrow morning, which I started a few hours ago, that's 30% of my grade. And I have a final in another class right after I turn that in.

Do you have to return the papers to the students? If not, read through 'em once or twice and give a grade on the spot. Spend twenty minutes or so on each. That way you'll only have to work roughly 14 of those 48 hours ;)
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    Procrastination is a bitch :p
    I should know, I'm writing a ten page paper for tomorrow morning, which I started a few hours ago, that's 30% of my grade. And I have a final in another class right after I turn that in.

Do you have to return the papers to the students? If not, read through 'em once or twice and give a grade on the spot. Spend twenty minutes or so on each. That way you'll only have to work roughly 14 of those 48 hours ;)
    haha...this isn't even procrastination it's the rule, and it gets to the dirty part of grading for college courses. honestly your teacher will probably look at your paper and see if it's passable which would give you approximately 20 out of 30 points, then s/he will determine where between that 20-30 you get depending on what you need for a particular grade. if you are siting at a 78 out of 90 when the teacher determines that you passed that means all you need is a 2 out of 10 for the rest to get a B and you can't get an A because 10 more points puts you at an 88 so your teacher will probably give you a 25/30 without even looking longer than 2 minutes. it's sick but true...the only problem is that i always read the whole paper to make sure the student actually did it so you can't fake it.
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    haha...this isn't even procrastination it's the rule, and it gets to the dirty part of grading for college courses. honestly your teacher will probably look at your paper and see if it's passable which would give you approximately 20 out of 30 points, then s/he will determine where between that 20-30 you get depending on what you need for a particular grade. if you are siting at a 78 out of 90 when the teacher determines that you passed that means all you need is a 2 out of 10 for the rest to get a B and you can't get an A because 10 more points puts you at an 88 so your teacher will probably give you a 25/30 without even looking longer than 2 minutes. it's sick but true...the only problem is that i always read the whole paper to make sure the student actually did it so you can't fake it.
    I don't know, this crazy bitch will probably read over each student's paper and pick it apart every which way. She has us citing our fucking notes for fuck's sake :rolleyes: I'll be glad when this class is done!!!

So are you going to grade dirty like you were explaining above? I know you said you are gonna make sure they did the assignment, but that's as far as it has to go ;)

I can only hope I get that kind of treatment for the trash I'm putting in this paper.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    wow that sucks :( good luck. Look at the bright side....soon it will all be over.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I don't know, this crazy bitch will probably read over each student's paper and pick it apart every which way. She has us citing our fucking notes for fuck's sake :rolleyes: I'll be glad when this class is done!!!

So are you going to grade dirty like you were explaining above? I know you said you are gonna make sure they did the assignment, but that's as far as it has to go ;)

I can only hope I get that kind of treatment for the trash I'm putting in this paper.
    Pretty much I read the paper to see if the student did it, then I make sure they did their citations correctly (I even posted a link for with all the refs for in-class readings), then I see if they made improvements from their first one...if it gets a check, check, check we're looking at a passing grade before I actually get into the content of the paper. So that takes about 5 minutes, then the rest depends on whether or not it makes or breaks their grade. When I first learned of this style I was appalled, but then it made sense when it makes no difference between a 70 and a 100 for a students final grade. Besides once I finish my dissertation and then i get paid more than $2500 per class I will have T.A.'s to do more than what I do...hehe.

Good luck on your paper...all joking aside I do like reading the papers just to see what my kids got out of my class.
  • Options
    WTF are you posting on here for......get to work...I hated it in college when i didn't get my grades when I expected them.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,564
    I think you are supposed to stand at the top of the stairwell, papers in hand. Give them a bit of air. The ones that land closer to the top get A's. The bottom, D's. The will of Allah, you know ;)
  • Options
    ryan198 wrote:
    ...is there any way I could possibly read 40, 20 page papers, and have them read to the full extent that they should be?

Step 1: close your internet browser and start reading

:D
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    don't read them, then grade them on a curve.