Options

sounds that are soothing to you... but may be odd to others

CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I sleep with the window open (all year round) and I have rediscovered a sound that soothes me... Tractor trailers on the highway...that hum they make as they speed.

I have just moved to basically where most of the highways meet outside of Philly... And the sound of this calms me at night. I assume it's because my first apartment was also next to a highway...and that was such a good time in my life.

Is there a noise that you like that possibly others find odd?
"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    My cats purr really loudly, and it helps me sleep
  • Options
    I agree with the noise. Grew up next to a city hospital so I need noise when I sleep.

To get a good night's sleep I need my heavy duty industrial metal fan going.
    So peaceful
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I agree with the noise. Grew up next to a city hospital so I need noise when I sleep.

To get a good night's sleep I need my heavy duty industrial metal fan going.
    So peaceful
    Ues I have a fan going too:)
    Yep, windows open and fan going...I like it cold and noisy:)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    For me its just noise, I can sleep okay in silence, but only if its dead silence, like out in the woods or someplace barren. Otherwise I dont sleep to well. I've lived near the main road with a highway parallel to that my whole life. That and the sound of my computer fan put me to sleep.
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,911
    I find the sound of a train whistle in the distance very soothing.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175

I'm the same way. I like the sound of trains.

Spent most of my life near a train station so. . .
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder's voice. :D
    Seriously. I've gotten some strange reactions when i say i could listen to him sing the phonebook.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,265
    i like noise. white noise especially. i sleep with one of those sound machines on all night. usually i have a big rain storm blasting.

also---how can you sleep with the window open during the winter time? do you have bronchitus?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lephtylephty Posts: 770
    i usually leave the TV on to sleep. even if i am not really watching it, its still background noise.

the other day i had Kings of Leon playing fairly loud while i was on a train and i was still able to nod off
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I need a fan on to sleep...all year long
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options

I grew up one block from the tracks. I'm used to the whistle and the rumble in the middle of the night.

I'm also told that growing up I had to have a vacuum running in my room for me to sleep. That's a weird one.

I sleep in silence now though.
    she was underwhelmed, if that's a word
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i find even the smallest sound irritating.
    to sleep i need silence.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Ah, if I hear the sounds of children being tortured, I sleep like a baby.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,265
    i find even the smallest sound irritating.
    to sleep i need silence.

if im sleeping in complete silence, i can manage---but complete and total silence never seems to happen. there is always some noise that wakes me up. so i always opt for a rainstorm to drown out the little irritating sounds
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Ah, if I hear the sounds of children being tortured, I sleep like a baby.
    You sleep like a baby being tortured?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    For me its just noise, I can sleep okay in silence, but only if its dead silence, like out in the woods or someplace barren. Otherwise I dont sleep to well. I've lived near the main road with a highway parallel to that my whole life. That and the sound of my computer fan put me to sleep.

My lady has to have dead silence with everything off lights that is. I'm the opposite I need a light to NOT stub my toe in the night and any source of sound. When we get together we find other ways to get to sleep. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    monks chanting in the mountains of tibet on cd.
    sitar music.
    iron butterfly, that one song they do.

the mating call of the....tasmanian devil ;)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=SU44KwIfBXM
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294

Yeah, it reminds me of staying at my grandparents' house when I was a kid. They had a train track right just off the backyard. I live near a big commuter/Amtrak hub now. It may be my favorite sound in the world.
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    the sound of my dogs gently snoring...the whimper when they dream....the deep "sigh" of their contentment.

the sound of the train near my house....the bells as the gates drop....the lonesome whistle....the rumbling of the wheels on the tracks as 100 cars roll by.

I've missed barn life as of late. Miss the sounds...the sounds of the horses eating...happily munching on hay...the nicker they'd give when you'd open the door to the barn....flick of tails....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I need almost complete silence to fall asleep. A fan in the summer is fine cause it's constant. But I usually have to have the window shut all year round cause below my window is a stop sign on the street and shitbox cars idle at it when they come to a stop, then accelerate and their engines sound like jet planes to me. Other than that, I sleep like a baby.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    snoring...from some sleepy squirrels.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Crows squawking in the morning.

they wake me up. :p
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    LongRd. wrote:
    Crows squawking in the morning.

they wake me up. :p
    Sometimes I seriously want to kill the crows for that very reason! ;) They can be very, very loud. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    I've always loved the sound of ticking clocks, when the house is silent. It sends me off to sleep. Remember when you were a kid and you heard that sound at your Gran's house? Aaaaahhh... lovely.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison