Need some advice...

ForestBrainForestBrain Posts: 460
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
All righty, here we go.
I have my own business and I get business from a certain person. This certain person gets a commission from the work she provides for me. Now, she gives me the numbers and addresses of these people and I have to talk to them, etc. I charged a certain amount for something, and just found out she doesn't tack on %20, but %80. These people think I'M charging that much. On top of all this, I get stuck in the middle all of the time because she has me go their houses and stuff, and they always ask if they can just go directly to me, which I can't do because I don't want to get on this woman's bad side.
Something that has happened in the past is that she tells me I charge too much. And then if the person doesn't like a certain thing and wants it changed, I have to charge more, and THEY pay for it. It's not fair or right to me.
Now, for my question, is it wrong of me to confront this woman about this? I need a business person's opinion. I want to tell her that I'm surprised she does this and it makes me feel bad for the clients.
What I do is very rare and nobody else down here can do it, so I'm the only option. I'm in a pickle.
When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nutmeg81nutmeg81 Posts: 627
    stop smuggling under-age leprechauns!!!!
    26/10/96 dublin
    01/06/00 dublin
    23/08/06 dublin
    11/09/06 paris
    18/06/07 london
    17/08/09 manchester
    18/08/09 london
  • That was helpful, thanks!
    BTW, I'm a specialty painter.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    whack her.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    can you just cut her out? It seems like you and your clients would come out better if she wasn't involved. I would at least confront her about it. If you don't say something it will probably get worse. Good Luck!!
  • Doesnt sound like you need her... you could raise your prices and still under cut hers. Dont want to rock the boat with her? Charge the mutual clients you have with her the same amount you always have and just get new clients. She sounds like a drain on your business.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • The problem is that I meet these people through her.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    The problem is that I meet these people through her.

i'm not really clear on what you are saying....are you a subcontractor to her?
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    The problem is that I meet these people through her.

but you said you're a pretty specaility so don't her clients need your services?
    do you have a compettitor she could refer her clients too?
    so you kinda have each other all strung up?

too me she ssounds kinda shady 80% is a HUGE finders fee
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • The problem is that I meet these people through her.

Not a business person per se...but I work in the law...yeah, I know...one of those.

Here's my 2 cents

First, are you under any kind of agreement with this individual?

Second, if you are engaged in an agreement with this individual, is that agreement in writing or is it purely verbal?

Third, unless you have an express or implied agreement with this person, you have no obligation to them and maybe you should cut them out. She is charging an 80% referral fee for your work. That's rediculous. If I were you I would continue the relationships with your existing clients and try to get them to refer you to new customers. If all else fails, advertise on your own, network with current and potential clients, and charge 40% more than you previously did. Without her adding on her 80% cut, you are undercutting your previous prices by 40%. More money for you. More money for your customers.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • I know, jojo!
    I used to work for her only (I was her painter), but before I ever worked for her I was a painter. I quit working for her (by the hour), but I told her I would do stuff for her (by the job) if she had the work.
    Now, I do get work from people who don't know her at all, and that has nothing to do with this. She does not have a competitor for her clients. I'm the only person who does it. It is VERY unfair to the clients, and it's ticking me off because one woman found out how much I charged, and she is nice enough to go through this woman (and pay an extra $650!) just to keep the peace. It's making me mad.
  • Not a business person per se...but I work in the law...yeah, I know...one of those.

Here's my 2 cents

First, are you under any kind of agreement with this individual?

Second, if you are engaged in an agreement with this individual, is that agreement in writing or is it purely verbal?

Third, unless you have an express or implied agreement with this person, you have no obligation to them and maybe you should cut them out. She is charging an 80% referral fee for your work. That's rediculous. If I were you I would continue the relationships with your existing clients and try to get them to refer you to new customers. If all else fails, advertise on your own, network with current and potential clients, and charge 40% more than you previously did. Without her adding on her 80% cut, you are undercutting your previous prices by 40%. More money for you. More money for your customers.
    There is no agreement at all. I'm just being nice. She is being greedy. No contracts or anything. She asked me not to do things for people without involving her and I didn't say I would, I just did the change the subject thing.
    She has me very confused because sometimes she says "this is like a family" or she uses "Friendship" to manipulate me. I'm tired of it. I wouldn't do it if I didn't need the work.
  • There is no agreement at all. I'm just being nice. She is being greedy. No contracts or anything. She asked me not to do things for people without involving her and I didn't say I would, I just did the change the subject thing.
    She has me very confused because sometimes she says "this is like a family" or she uses "Friendship" to manipulate me. I'm tired of it. I wouldn't do it if I didn't need the work.

Personal relationships are much more complicated than legal ones. That being said, you just have to do what is in YOUR best interest. If you dont think you can maintain the same amount of work without her help, then you should probably continue to utilize her. Remeber that she is charging and 80% cut. Even if you cut her loose, venture out on your own, and lose busniess volume, you could still maintain your financial position if you raise your prices.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • That's true. Thank you guys for your help! I think I know what to do now.
  • jojojojo Posts: 645
    YOUR best interest. .

yea and to be fair it's also the best intrest of your clients as well

she's basically screwing everyone over and getting the windfall for making a phone call

i would be PISSED if this was done to me think of how much work you do for your 80% of job costs and all she does is pull your card out of her breifcase

like i said SHADY
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • I agree.
  • jojo wrote:
    yea and to be fair it's also the best intrest of your clients as well

she's basically screwing everyone over and getting the windfall for making a phone call

i would be PISSED if this was done to me think of how much work you do for your 80% of job costs and all she does is pull your card out of her breifcase

like i said SHADY
    Absolutely... this woman sounds like she's neither friend nor family. She still wants to charge for work you find yourself :eek: If that isn't blatently being a BITCH and a cheat and a manipulative scumbag, I dunno what is.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I agree.

at least so go far as to insist that she disclose to everyone that what she is charging includes a "consultation" fee or something that goes to her. it's kinda like the old pearl jam battle with ticketmaster... ticketmaster was screwing people and since they didnt have to show how much of that fee went to TM, people assumed the band was setting things. tell her you appreciate what she is doing for your business, but you also have a reputation to consider and you want to make sure people know the price is not set by you.

she sounds very manipulative and i can't help thinking that for now she needs you. but if she's willing to screw other people and manipulate you with the "family" rhetoric, it seems to me that the second she finds someone else who can do what you do for a bit cheaper or a smaller cut, she's going to ditch you.

the thing is though, i don't know what a specialty painter is; but if people absolutely need you and you're the only game in town, there's no need to let this woman push you around. on the flipside, if your services are kind of a luxury (im thinking like painting house paintings people could live without) and you need her marketing and salesmanship to promote your services, you might be stuck with her.