Options

Anyone know anything about traffic court? need a little help

bobbyd3bobbyd3 Posts: 89
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
So I got into a minor fender bender on halloween, I bumped the car in front of me at a red light. So im in NY and I got a mandatory following to close ticket.
I plead not guilty on the ticket mailed it back and have to go to traffic court on monday for it.

I have a perfect driving record, not so much as a parking ticket in the 12+ years ive been driving and their was no damage to the other car, I had minor mark on my bumper from their hitch.

I am just not sure on what to expect as Ive never been to court before. I was planning on just going in saying I have a clean record etc... and hoped to get it reduced so I dont get any points but Im not sure if that will do any good.

If anyone knows how traffic court works please share what I should/shouldn't do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bobbyd3 wrote:
    So I got into a minor fender bender on halloween, I bumped the car in front of me at a red light. So im in NY and I got a mandatory following to close ticket.
    I plead not guilty on the ticket mailed it back and have to go to traffic court on monday for it.

I have a perfect driving record, not so much as a parking ticket in the 12+ years ive been driving and their was no damage to the other car, I had minor mark on my bumper from their hitch.

I am just not sure on what to expect as Ive never been to court before. I was planning on just going in saying I have a clean record etc... and hoped to get it reduced so I dont get any points but Im not sure if that will do any good.

If anyone knows how traffic court works please share what I should/shouldn't do.

My situation was different from yours I got a speeding ticket and went to court get the points off

Same deal though, clean record no priors

What they did was slammed me with a Sur-Charge from the state of NJ of $250 on top of my ticket

So in the end I ended up paying $400 for a $95 ticket !

There was another charge they gave me for court costs I believe that's how it got to $400

Not sure how NY works may be the same
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    If it's anything like here, you'll end up with costs on top of your fine. It sticks in the gut, but once they issue a ticket...they expect it paid. They're bastards.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Yeah, at least from my own personal experience...it would've saved alot of time and hassle to pay the damn ticket. I know it sucks...but that's how the system works.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    jamie uk wrote:
    If it's anything like here, you'll end up with costs on top of your fine. It sticks in the gut, but once they issue a ticket...they expect it paid. They're bastards.

Yup....exactly!! LOL!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    bobbyd3 wrote:

reduced to what? does it get any lesser than following too close? you're going to make this more expensive and they will probably be a bit pissed at you for wasting their time when you clearly did what they say you did just so you can go in and beg for some leniency just becos you haven't had a ticket before. it sounds like you're just trying to bullshit them. you hit someone in your car. it sucks, and maybe it was minor, but you can't just pretend it didn't happen.