Ed as a guitarist

GivenToFly982GivenToFly982 Posts: 46
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I was wondering what you guys (especially guitarists) thought of Ed's guitar playing ability. Ed obviously doesn't play on every track and I sometimes wonder if 3 guitars is overkill anyway. I don't know a whole lot about guitar, but he's obviously talented though i have heard some really good guitarists say that Ed's playing ability is pretty average at best...sometimes its kind of sloppy (although thats really a part of grunge music so some of it is probably intentional.) and he seems like he has trouble keeping up sometimes when they play live. However, I thought his guitar playing was beautiful on the Into the Wild soundtrack. Again, its way better than i could play but i looked up the tabs and those songs dont seem too terribly difficult. Anyway, i was curious as to what you guys thought.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Sometimes he can be sloppy, but he's fairly talented at finger picking. I'd say hes a pretty average player, but he does alot of nice things w the guitar.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    his tone blows these days...he should go back to using the hiwatt's
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • What he does with a guitar, he does well. He doesn't play like Mike, but he doesn't try to. No one else in the band could have written RVM or Man of the Hour though.

And I like the three guitar sound. Very full, without getting too crowded.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I was wondering what you guys (especially guitarists) thought of Ed's guitar playing ability. Ed obviously doesn't play on every track and I sometimes wonder if 3 guitars is overkill anyway. I don't know a whole lot about guitar, but he's obviously talented though i have heard some really good guitarists say that Ed's playing ability is pretty average at best...sometimes its kind of sloppy (although thats really a part of grunge music so some of it is probably intentional.) and he seems like he has trouble keeping up sometimes when they play live. However, I thought his guitar playing was beautiful on the Into the Wild soundtrack. Again, its way better than i could play but i looked up the tabs and those songs dont seem too terribly difficult. Anyway, i was curious as to what you guys thought.

I'd say Ed's songwriting ability with the guitar is better than most guitar players guitar playing ability
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Here's my take (I've talked about this before with friends): Technically speaking Ed is a pretty average guitar player. I think it's his song writing abilities that make him fucking awesome. The riffs he comes up with are simple, but lend themselves perfectly to Stone and (especially) Mike's superior guitar skills. I think RVM and Corduroy are two perfect examples.
    92xxx
  • His guitar work on Insignificance is really nice as well.
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    It's his tambourine playing he needs to work on. I mean come on ITW a la Tambourine!
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Dustin51Dustin51 Posts: 222
    I have to agree with what others are saying. He is a brilliant song writer. His melodies and rythms are amazing. He knows how to write something that sounds good. He isnt Stevie Ray Vaughn though, but thats cool. The songs he writes might be favorites out of the band members. I am mine, RVM, Wishlist, In my tree...great songs. And the Into the Wild Sountrack was pretty awesome. Interesting...but awesome at the same time.
    Be excellent to each other
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    he can write such beautiful songs with simple chords that mike solos over and stone can put in lots of fills or play along...Immortality or Sometimes..Better Man...Porch

and his solo songs rule too....Dead Man..No Ceiling...Long Nights....

fucking beautiful.

i really like his rough sloppy guitars....best seen on Interstellar Overdrive, Grievance and Not For You
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,539
    Its a good thing Eddie is not the greatest guitar player. If he were, I would not be able to play his songs. Im taking huge pleasure in learning his songs as they are all fairly simple to play and easy to memorize.

I have played guitar for 6 months now and I can already hold a Eddie Vedder cover concert:-)

Ed has made my introduction to the guitar very very satisfying. Working on guaranteed now and its surprisingly easy to play.
    I will swallow poison
  • JordyWordy wrote:
    he can write such beautiful songs with simple chords that mike solos over and stone can put in lots of fills or play along...Immortality or Sometimes..Better Man...Porch

and his solo songs rule too....Dead Man..No Ceiling...Long Nights....

fucking beautiful.

i really like his rough sloppy guitars....best seen on Interstellar Overdrive, Grievance and Not For You

Yeah, I agree with you especially on Immortality....that part of "Immagine in Cornice" when he is on stage by himself (during a soundcheck i guess) that version of Immortality sent chills down my spine....beautiful.
  • i used to have little to no respect for eds guitar playing until i found out how many songs hes written the guitar parts for...that being said, i do think three guitars can be overkill sometimes, it seems alot more songs from avocado have the three guitar effect which, again, can be overkill..but i think we are nitpicking here, this is the greatest band on the planet...
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I don't know any technical stuff. But on my uneducated guitar knowledge, I think he is good on RVM, betterman and cordouroy. So he is alright in my books
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • his tone blows these days...he should go back to using the hiwatt's

x2. His tone on the 2006 and 2007 tours was horrible. Get back to how it sounded in 1998 and 2000, IMHO.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Yeah, I agree with you especially on Immortality....that part of "Immagine in Cornice" when he is on stage by himself (during a soundcheck i guess) that version of Immortality sent chills down my spine....beautiful.

My favourite part of the dvd......

I like his guitar playing.....man of the hour and dead man are both so beautiful, and i love thumbing my way......i like his fingerpicking style......

i love how ed, stone and mike gel.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    id say he's better than we think, itw is proof of that. he is obviously overshadowed by mike and stone, but that's how pj is designed...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    The man came up with one of the best riffs the band has ever released...Sad. That makes him legit in my book.
  • I think Ed is a competent guitarist in accompanying himself, and a less than average rhythm guitarist band-wise. I just wish he would not try to solo. Those e-bow solos on Wishlist are painful to hear, and they go on and on and on....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I've been trying to learn guitar for two years and Ed is a hell of a lot better than me!

Then again, maybe if I had Mike and Stone around to help me....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    No one else in the band could have written RVM or Man of the Hour though.

Right there your talking about songwriting ability, which isn't the same as guitar-playing ability.

Eddie Vedder:
    Songwriting ability = Phenomenal
    Guitar skills = Average
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I think Ed is a great guitarist, especially considering he is a lead singer in a band and not a regular guitar player on all of Pearl Jam's songs. You can't compare Ed to Mike or Stone because Mike and Stone are the main guitar players. Into the Wild is really awesome work by Ed and I do think he really is a great guitar player!
  • Brez wrote:
    Right there your talking about songwriting ability, which isn't the same as guitar-playing ability.

Eddie Vedder:
    Songwriting ability = Phenomenal
    Guitar skills = Average

It's his ability to write with a guitar. I think it's relevant to the topic.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I think Ed is a competent guitarist in accompanying himself, and a less than average rhythm guitarist band-wise. I just wish he would not try to solo. Those e-bow solos on Wishlist are painful to hear, and they go on and on and on....

Ah, you just answered a question that haunted me for years...i always wondered what that thing was that he plays with when playing wishlist since a saw it on Live at the Garden. The E-Bow! Fascinating.
  • NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
    The man came up with one of the best riffs the band has ever released...Sad. That makes him legit in my book.

second that.

and I like the e-bow on Wishlist!
    My rhymes and records they don't get played
    Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
    And if you rap like me you don't get paid
    And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    Ed's guitar playing with Pearl Jam is like Ronaldo at Real Madrid,always in the shadow of Luis Figo (stone) & Zinedine Zidane (sir mike)
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269

he may not be the best guitarist but fuck he is the best singer ever
    danny d
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    you should check out not for you from snl

i think that just about shows edwords gauitar plaing
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • I think he is great ,he isn't the best guitarist but he play very very good...
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    smile05 wrote:
    Ed's guitar playing with Pearl Jam is like Ronaldo at Real Madrid,always in the shadow of Luis Figo (stone) & Zinedine Zidane (sir mike)

I've never heard of Real Madrid.

I'll have to check that band out.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    It's his ability to write with a guitar. I think it's relevant to the topic.

I see what your getting at.
    And before his first step... He's off again...