Options

Budweiser Ale

HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,509
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Every couple of days I get a new 6 pack to try.

I got it tonight once I finished studying for my finals. It tastes like if Keystone made an ale...its bad.

I had Sam Adams Irish Red, liked that a lot. Tried Sapporo the other day...but the winner of the week is Pete's Wicked Ale

Before that I was on a Newcastle streak.
2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The RA's wouldn't like to see this post, especially if you live in a dry dorm...

Seriously, though, I haven't tried it, but I can't stand Newcastle. I'm on a Rolling Rock kick myself right now.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    winter lager, magic hat 9, magic hat seasonal as of late..and i didnt think the american ale was that bad to be honest.
  • Options
    Pete's Wicked Ale is my absolute favorite. Near impossible to find here on LI. The Strawberry Blonde is awesome. I'll have to look for Sam Adams Red. I love red beers, but have neevr seen the Sam Adams Red
  • Options
    They were sampling this at a local bar the other day. I thought it tasted as if they made a grocery-store generic brand of Red Hook. Once again, the big brewers think they're being hip and micro, and just fall flat on thier face. Give it up already!
  • Options
    Tom KTom K Posts: 842
    I had Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale the other night.. I thought it was really good..
    I'm heading to Colorado next monday, and I'm really looking forward to getting to Oskar Blues and also getting some Fat Tire.. If there is anyone from Colo. that could recommend some other good beer stops, I would appreciate it..
    I'm gone ..Long gone..This time I'm letting go of it all...So long...Cause this time I'm gone
  • Options
    They were sampling this at a local bar the other day. I thought it tasted as if they made a grocery-store generic brand of Red Hook. Once again, the big brewers think they're being hip and micro, and just fall flat on thier face. Give it up already!

right...like when Bud came out with the American Ale right after the foreign take over was announced.

Quick trivia question---what is currently the largest American owned and operated brewery?
  • Options
    right...like when Bud came out with the American Ale right after the foreign take over was announced.

Quick trivia question---what is currently the largest American owned and operated brewery?

I'd say Yeungling or Sam Adams probably.
  • Options
    yup, it's Sam Adams
  • Options

I got it tonight once I finished studying for my finals. It tastes like if Keystone made an ale...its bad.

I had Sam Adams Irish Red, liked that a lot. Tried Sapporo the other day...but the winner of the week is Pete's Wicked Ale

New CAstle is the most delicious liquid ever.

Sam Adams Irish Red is not one of my favorites. Its like there is sweetness added and it ends up tasting swilly. I can usually find words to describe how I feel about beers, but I'm at a loss to describe what I don't like about this one. I really like most Sam Adams beers, but not this one. Oh, and their hefinwiezen is possibly one of the worst beers I've ever had.

And on the American Ale, Bravo: you did an excellent job of desribing it. Not a quality beer, not a quality ale at all. But I'll bet it will out sell plenty because its budwieser.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    The RA's wouldn't like to see this post, especially if you live in a dry dorm...

Seriously, though, I haven't tried it, but I can't stand Newcastle. I'm on a Rolling Rock kick myself right now.

If you don't like New Castle, but do like Rolling Rock, you're on the complete other side of the spectrum as me. Rolling Rock isn't bad; its a quality lager, kinda light. New Castle is heaven.

Someone mentioned Fat Tire. I've decided I like everything I've tried from the New Belguim Brewing Co.
    I've also found that I don't like anything from the Sierra Nevada Beers.

Tried the Fuller's 1845 tonight, excellent. I'm really loving all the Fuller's beers.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873

Your first problem was buying Budweiser. What sort of selection do you have over there? If there's a lot of international stuff to choose from, the English make the best ales, the Germans make the best Lagers and Weissbiers. Polish and Czech Lager is pretty good too. I'm not much of a stout drinker but I know that there's a coupleof Irish ones that are well regarded.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    I don't like Bud, but I do like the new American Ale. It was a lot better then I thought it would be. It kind of reminds me of a Redhook ESB . . . kind of.
  • Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    I hate Bud. I pretty much only drink IPA's, although I like Belgians and Stouts too. I had the Bud Ale. It was much much better than I thought it would be, and wasn't overly carbonated like Bud. To me, it tasted like a mix between Yuengling and Sam Adams. It's decent. Better though, I didn't get the Bud Mud the next day.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Your first problem was buying Budweiser. What sort of selection do you have over there? If there's a lot of international stuff to choose from, the English make the best ales, the Germans make the best Lagers and Weissbiers. Polish and Czech Lager is pretty good too. I'm not much of a stout drinker but I know that there's a coupleof Irish ones that are well regarded.

I completely disagree that Germans make the best lagers and white beers. I haven't tried Polish lagers yet. The Czech ones are good, but some of them are pure piss, like Heineken.

Maybe I'm a little biased but Belgium truly makes the best beers (lagers and white beers and special beers).
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    If you don't like New Castle, but do like Rolling Rock, you're on the complete other side of the spectrum as me. Rolling Rock isn't bad; its a quality lager, kinda light. New Castle is heaven.

Someone mentioned Fat Tire. I've decided I like everything I've tried from the New Belguim Brewing Co.
    I've also found that I don't like anything from the Sierra Nevada Beers.

Tried the Fuller's 1845 tonight, excellent. I'm really loving all the Fuller's beers.

if you can find Fuller's Porter on tap, it's amazing

Anybody from new england going to the extreme beer fest in boston? Dogfish and the two brothers who are putting on the fest teamed up together to make a new brew only available at the fest...can't wait to try it
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,762
    All budweiser is bad. I'll only drink it as a last resort!
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    I've been on a Samuel Smith's kick lately. Oatmeal Stout...mmm...
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    My brewer pal said that he'd have to try this Bud Ale just to see what all they fucked up.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,766
    Budweiser makes a bad beer? Who'd of thought....
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    adam42381 wrote:
    I've been on a Samuel Smith's kick lately. Oatmeal Stout...mmm...

Real good stuff.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I don't like Bud, but I do like the new American Ale. It was a lot better then I thought it would be. It kind of reminds me of a Redhook ESB . . . kind of.

I don't think the American Ale is bad at all... I think most people have their mind made up about it before they even try it because it's not "hip" or "cool" to say that a domestic beer is any good. If you tell me you like Sam Adams and hate Bud American Ale, I immediately discount your opinion as a brand snob and nothing else, because I don't think you could do a blind test and tell me the difference.

Just an opinion from an equal-opportunity beer drinker. :D
  • Options

Oh I agree, I don't like bud at ALL...If I have to drink a shitty beer I'm down with Coors Light bottles, or even natty isn't bad since I'm used to it cause of college. I tried the American Ale just because it's something I wanted to try, same as Bud Light Lime, which actually is pretty good to chill on during the summer.

Someone mentioned Magic Hat...HELL YEAH! That's my shit

I wanna try this stuff called Purple Haze it's supposed to be a black raspberry wheat beer, sounds interesting
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Motown322 wrote:
    I don't think the American Ale is bad at all... I think most people have their mind made up about it before they even try it because it's not "hip" or "cool" to say that a domestic beer is any good. If you tell me you like Sam Adams and hate Bud American Ale, I immediately discount your opinion as a brand snob and nothing else, because I don't think you could do a blind test and tell me the difference.

Just an opinion from an equal-opportunity beer drinker. :D

What the hell. You've got to be kidding. To real beer lovers, just about every beer tastes different. Sam Adams and American Ale are miles apart. I was very interested to try the American Ale and have given it three tries. Its not terrible, but its not a good example of an ale either. It has a balance to it, but it also tastes like there's a bit of budwiezer (regular american beer) in with it too. If you can't tell the difference between these two... go drink a bud light or something.

I am glad that this board does have its share of people who love "real beer".
  • Options
    pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I wanna try this stuff called Purple Haze it's supposed to be a black raspberry wheat beer, sounds interesting

Eeew. I tried it on a sampler in college. If you can imagine drinking a flower/pollen, that's what it tasted like.

This week I had a Dogfish Head Punkin' Ale. Great stuff. I don't drink near as much as I used to, but since you can buy singles in NY, I try to get something different every time. Generally, I don't like the really hoppy IPAs. Much prefer a good Belgian wheat. Can't drink any of that pisswater produced by Bud and the like.
    My defaults/easy to get almost anywhere: New Castle, Guinness, Sam Adams' seasonals. Sammy Smith's and Chimay are pretty easy to find now too, but I have to wanna shell out a few more bucks.

My favorites: St. Peter's brewery, somewhere in England. The porter is my favorite bottled beer ever. Last May I got to have a ton on tap at this pub in London. Absolute heaven.
    Motor City Brewing Works' Ghettoblaster. A fine reason to visit Detroit. Seriously.
  • Options
    What the hell. You've got to be kidding. To real beer lovers, just about every beer tastes different. Sam Adams and American Ale are miles apart. I was very interested to try the American Ale and have given it three tries. Its not terrible, but its not a good example of an ale either. It has a balance to it, but it also tastes like there's a bit of budwiezer (regular american beer) in with it too. If you can't tell the difference between these two... go drink a bud light or something.

I am glad that this board does have its share of people who love "real beer".

you are exactly right. that's the same thought i had when i tried it last week. it has that sickeningly sweet "budweiser" taste to it underneath the extra bit of hops they've used to try to make it more respectable. i think it's pretty gross.

sam adams on the other hand is a really decent beer, and usually what i get if i'm at a bar with only macros.
  • Options
    Haven't tried the Bud Ale but after seeing it guessed it would taste exactly as you described it.

I try a few things every once in a while but as I've aged I've gone to more wine and beer strictly on a seasonal kick or for football etc.

BUT I do love beer still. Recently had New Belgium's 2 Below which is the best winter brew I've tasted. Most are too heavy for me. like a meal. This is nice and light in comparison.

And if you drink IPAs once you go Dogfish you never go back. Wish I could try that special brew weekapaug mentions.
    New screenname for the new site. At least for now. Previously Lackofdave
    Blogging at <a href="http://www.dadtherapy.com">Dad Therapy</a>
  • Options
    You have to love dogfish heads unique spin they put on beer. they hit some home runs this year like palo santo marron brown ale and black and blue(IMO). Even the ones that were not great such as pangaea and theobrama(IMO) were an experience.

Also i love it when good breweries get together. Avery and Russiam River collaboration not litigation ale, that was outstanding.

If you want a real good "cheap" beer this holiday season grab a case of Sierra Nevade celebration ale. Best bang per buck that i can think of.