Options

DVD question--for you knowledgeable folks

Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
I have a question for all the tech folks in here.

I have a 37" Olevia HDTV that goes up to 1080i, with a DVD player that goes up to 480p (with components). For the time being, I don't want to invest in HDDVD or Blu-ray because I don't want to end up with whichever one loses (plus the players that play both are way too expensive). I do think HD and Blu look incredible, but I won't take the plunge yet. I am happy with the picture my DVD player puts out, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up an upconverting DVD player and an HDMI cable? The price is reasonable for those machines, but how much of an improvement is it over the 480p player I have now?
I love my female wife...
we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I have a question for all the tech folks in here.

I have a 37" Olevia HDTV that goes up to 1080i, with a DVD player that goes up to 480p (with components). For the time being, I don't want to invest in HDDVD or Blu-ray because I don't want to end up with whichever one loses (plus the players that play both are way too expensive). I do think HD and Blu look incredible, but I won't take the plunge yet. I am happy with the picture my DVD player puts out, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to pick up an upconverting DVD player and an HDMI cable? The price is reasonable for those machines, but how much of an improvement is it over the 480p player I have now?
    It depends how good your TV handles the upconversion. All LCD TVs have upconverters in them. They have to in order to scale the image to their native resolution.. but some are better than others. If you have a TV with a shitty upconverter, you probably want to get a DVD player that has a good one.

If your TV is an LCD it is probably running at 768p. 768p TVs have to scale everything that comes into them. That have to slightly upconvert 720p and de-interlace and downconvert 1080i. I have the same issue and I've spent some time googling stuff about it on the internet.

All upconversion does is fill in for the missing pixels when expanding the picture. Some do it smoother than others.
  • Options
    pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Rest assured Bluray is not going anywhere, take the plunge!
    You will thank me. & it will upconvert your DVDs
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Options
    pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    Ooops, double post
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06