Options

Tiger Woods-the most dominant athlete ever?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    c'mon

you cant really call golfers- even the best in the world- " atheletes" ,-
    not in the true sense of the word.

:rolleyes:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    lukin2006 wrote:
    are golfers athletes? look at john daly?

Are field goal kickers athletes? are designated hitters athletes?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    solsurfrsolsurfr Posts: 202
    Tone wrote:

Rod Laver is a legend too. Lou Hoad, Ken Rosewell, Andre Agassi.

PJ Saluki mentioned Martina Navratilova - talk about an incredible record!

Rod Laver/Agassi... only men in recent history to win a major on all surfaces... Martina Navratilova... most dominate female tennis player.

Tennis is a great example of a sport with all the elements of athleticism... hand/eye coordination, technique, mental toughness, and physical agility. And like golf, there is no team to carry or hide behind. It's you and only you in the fight...
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Golf is a skill, not a sport.
    Every sport is a skill. Just because you can run fast or bench a lot does not mean you can play a sport.. Sports are more mental than not. Sure you have to be in shape and to various degrees. Just about anyone can condition themselves to have the strength to perform a sport, but only a select few have the mental skills to make it to the top.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Just about anyone can condition themselves to have the strength to perform a sport, but only a select few have the mental skills to make it to the top.

I disagree with this. I don't think it's just the mental skills that separate the great athletes from the rest.

Golf is hard but it doesn't require an excellent physique and you don't have to be in perfect condition. An athlete, however, does need speed, strength, agility... And also the mental skills.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Collin wrote:
    I disagree with this. I don't think it's just the mental skills that separate the great athletes from the rest.

Golf is hard but it doesn't require an excellent physique and you don't have to be in perfect condition. An athlete, however, does need speed, strength, agility... And also the mental skills.
    So where do you draw the line?

Say golf is 90% mental, 10% physical.

Baseball maybe 60% mental, 40% physical

Basketball 25% mental, 75% physical..

I'm going to argue an activity that requires you to use your motor skills in competition is indeed a sport.

Michael Jordan wasn't the tallest, strongest, fastest, but he had the skills.
  • Options
    I don't get how everyone is saying that Golf isn't physical. you swing and hit the ball. that's physical. it's not like playing chess...that's mental. you have to physically swing properly every single time or the ball goes wayward. is it as physically exhaustingly as playing linebacker? of course not....not even close. but it's not "mental" to have a perfect swing ever time, it's physical.

of course I understand what everyone is saying: there's no running or contact between competitors in golf like there is in most sports. Golfers just walk, stop, swing and hit the ball, then walk again. but isn't that exactly what David Ortiz does?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    So where do you draw the line?

Say golf is 90% mental, 10% physical.

Baseball maybe 60% mental, 40% physical

Basketball 25% mental, 75% physical..

I'm going to argue an activity that requires you to use your motor skills in competition is indeed a sport.

Michael Jordan wasn't the tallest, strongest, fastest, but he had the skills.

There is no line to draw. Each sport has it's toughest mental challenges:

4 and 5, 4th quarter, 30 secs to go..
    Free throws in OT with a raukus crowd
    Full Count, bottom of the ninth, bases loaded
    5ft Putt on the 18th, sudden death
    Shootout (soccer/hockey)

Each sport has it's relevant mental challenges. It is those who embrace and dominate those times that separate them from the pack... Federer, Woods, Elway, Favre, Jordan, Bird... these guys have ICE in their veins under the pressure cooker... what makes the player the best athlete... are these traits PLUS the PHYSICAL ability to overcome their opponent, challenge and maintain pure physical control either in the air, on the turn, on the pass, on the catch, on the throw... whatever.

I've always say... take the top 5 sports, take the best of those 5, and see who comes out on top... Will Tiger dunk over LeBron? Not in our lifetime... Could Michael Vick dunk on LeBron? Hrmmm... Could either of these guys make left turns for 160 laps at Dover Downs? Haha... I guess so.... Could Lebron make a 5ft putt if had the opportunity? I would say a better than average chance of sinking it... (funny to picture, I know).

Hard to compare, I know, but really the definition of an athlete is really about mind, body, and soul... not just the mind.
  • Options
    PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    Look at the last couple of No. 1 golfers in the world. Tiger is a physical specimen. David Duval was in great physical shape but lost his nerve. Golfers are learning that they need to be in shape to extend their careers and maximize their potential. There's way too much competition to be a slob and expect to win consistently unless you're just a freakish athlete, a la Babe Ruth. Sure, you have guys like Angel Carbrera (last season's U.S. Open winner) who can suck down heaters on the course and compete, but NFL QB Dan Marino (Marlboro Lights) and MLB's Mark Grace (Winston) were known puffers and they still did alright. Look at Charles Barkley, a Hall of Fame NBA player. Guy could dunk on 7-foot centers but can't hit a golf ball to save his life. People who don't believe golf is a sport aren't going to change their minds. Those of us who do believe golf is a sport won't change ours.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    Look at the last couple of No. 1 golfers in the world. Tiger is a physical specimen. David Duval was in great physical shape but lost his nerve. Golfers are learning that they need to be in shape to extend their careers and maximize their potential. There's way too much competition to be a slob and expect to win consistently unless you're just a freakish athlete, a la Babe Ruth. Sure, you have guys like Angel Carbrera (last season's U.S. Open winner) who can suck down heaters on the course and compete, but NFL QB Dan Marino (Marlboro Lights) and MLB's Mark Grace (Winston) were known puffers and they still did alright. Look at Charles Barkley, a Hall of Fame NBA player. Guy could dunk on 7-foot centers but can't hit a golf ball to save his life. People who don't believe golf is a sport aren't going to change their minds. Those of us who do believe golf is a sport won't change ours.

I think most people would agree golf is a sport... the fact that it's debatable already questions the validity of the athletes who play the game though. I think golf is one of the hardest sports I've ever tried to play but here's where I'm coming from:

- I took up golf a few years ago. Never played it in my life. The work buddies who introduced me to it have played it for probably 20 or so years maybe more... they were terribly out of shape, a couple of them smoked, and they always shot around 101, 99, 103, that area... My first year... I never broke 115.. One summer, I spent some time at a driving range, took a lesson.. and came out with those same guys and nearly beat them every time I went out and broke 100 a few times. It took me less than one summer to catch up to these guys and hang with them... as we all sucked pretty bad.

- I played cornerback for a pretty good I-AA school... was a walk on. Worked out real hard, studied tape, pretty strong, relatively fast. In competing for a roster spot, the guys ahead of me barely practiced or didn't care, barely stronger than me...BUT ridiculously fast and no matter who they covered, covered them like a blanket...whereas for me.. it was a struggle depending on who I had to matchup with... the guys ahead of me on the depth chart had what I couldn't get through practice, techqnique, bench press, whatever.... they had the PHYSICAL ability to rise above any of those challenges in front of them and laughed about it on the way back to the locker room. I would shake my head in frustration after all those hours in the gym, tape review, whatever... their athletic ability truely shined when it counted and where ordinary athletes would probably struggle. More of those guys probably would've made it to the NFL if they put in the work-effort I did when I was battling for a 3rd spot on the depth chart.... oh and BTW.. Joe Flacco was the 2nd highest rated QB in the NFL combine this year... and he graduated from the same college I did... :-) lol shameless plug, sorry.
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    go pre wrote:
    if you consider golfers to be athletes, then yes, he's dominating his "sport" unlike any other.
    haha EXACTLY!

lets not compare him to what MJ did at all! hes obviously the greatest ever to do what he is doing... but golf is more muscle memory, mental strength, and physics than physical exertion

id like to see tiger compete like MJ did with a high fever

why the fuck does tiger deserve his own gatorade if the man doesnt break a sweat playing his sport? (unless its really hot out obviously)
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Are field goal kickers athletes? are designated hitters athletes?
    no
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    .. Joe Flacco was the 2nd highest rated QB in the NFL combine this year... and he graduated from the same college I did... :-) lol shameless plug, sorry.

Flacco and Delaware knocked my SIU Salukis out of the FCS playoffs this season. I went down to the field during warmups and watched that guy flick his wrist and consistently toss the ball 40 yards. Shows what a goof Wanny is at Pitt. Flacco played for the Panthers until he decided he wasn't going to get on the field and transferred to Delaware. Were you on the Hens team that knocked SIU out of the postseason a few seasons ago? Our starting QB, Joel Sambursky, nearly got his head taken off on a hard, legal hit.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    i kinda agree with tone in breaking it down in sports catagories, as it is definitely hard to cross reference anything from sport to sport.

in terms of tennis, steffi graf would have to be mentioned then..

also golf is easily a sport, i dont know why that is even debated. if no phsyical exertion was made, then on the weekend when a mate of mine who plays football (soccer) and does some road riding and all that was complaining bout his arms being tired well then there must be something wrong with him then...

anyway i still dont think u can single out anyone at all.

another to the list would have to be andrew johns i suppose, he was pretty damn amazing
  • Options
    maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    yosi wrote:
    Roger Federer.

Yeah I agree on this one - he is pretty dominant in his sport.

And Tiger is the best golfer of all time - when his career is over, he will have broken many, many records.

And I think that other sports may require more athletic ability, has anyone here tried to golf? I did & I think my clubs almost ended up in the water along with most of the golfballs I hit.
    It is by no means easy, so you do have to give Tiger & other golfers credit.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    Im sorry , but I have to chime in on this topic. Tiger Woods is not ONLY an atelete, but is the most dominent in HIS sport to ever play the game. For all of you who think that golf isnt a sport, I want you to try walking 18 holes at Augusta National in the sweltering heat and Georgia sun all day contimplating distance, power, touch, feel, geometry, science, etc...As a golfer myself, I consider myself to be in prety good shape however these guys play the HARDEST courses in the world and shoot red numbers ( meaning under par ) . LONG STORY SHORT, GOLFERS ARE ATHLETES AND GOLF IS NOT A PUSSY SPORT. THESE GUYS ARE ATELETES AND TIGER IS BY FAR THE BEST.
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    hahahahahah

sure golf is a physical activity... but golfers are not fucking athletes. Golf is closer to checkers than basketball. All you need is a fat ass and goofy pants, right? Don't get me wrong its takes lots of dedication and skill to be good, but come on... Golf is a game; its barely, barely a sport.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options
    All you need is a fat ass and goofy pants, right?

If that's the case you should talk to my neighbor the accountant. he's probably a great golfer.....HUGE ass.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    those who say golfers arent athletes, are baseballers athlethes?
  • Options
    swede wrote:
    those who say golfers arent athletes, are baseballers athlethes?

Funny story about that. A guy named John Kruk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kruk) played for some really good Philadelphia Phillies teams in the 1990s. He was out and about somewhere and a lady saw him smoking a cigarette. She barked at him a little bit about setting a poor example for kids by being an athlete and smoking. Kruk shot back with one of the most classic lines ever:

"Lady, I ain't an athlete. I'm a ballplayer."
  • Options
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    Funny story about that. A guy named John Kruk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kruk) played for some really good Philadelphia Phillies teams in the 1990s. He was out and about somewhere and a lady saw him smoking a cigarette. She barked at him a little bit about setting a poor example for kids by being an athlete and smoking. Kruk shot back with one of the most classic lines ever:

"Lady, I ain't an athlete. I'm a ballplayer."

LOL that is actually funny as hell