edited March 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
i got one last november, and i have a flu now :mad:

vaccine fucker!

i feel like i've been beaten up :(
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760
    they say their are so many different strands of the flu ,that the flu shot does not work on all flus .
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

BUFFALO wrote:
    they say their are so many different strands of the flu ,that the flu shot does not work on all flus .
    yep i've heard that too. i still say F it though, cuz i feel like shit :mad:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    i got one last november, and i have a flu now :mad:

vaccine fucker!

i feel like i've been beaten up :(

that sucks chiqui for this i don't have any help ,i get a flu shot every yr for at least the last 6 and i haven't got the flu once yet as i knock on my wooden head :) feel better soon ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    And two of the three strains (so I hear) mutated before they even got the shots to the public, so..

Oh, and the 'bathroom' flu isn't covered, as it isn't a flu.

uh, on topic, that sucks. Stay in bed, drink all kinds of stuff, *insert advice I'm sure you've heard a million times here*.
    Speedy recovery.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    that sucks chiqui for this i don't have any help ,i get a flu shot every yr for at least the last 6 and i haven't got the flu once yet as i knock on my wooden head :) feel better soon ...
    yeah i've gotten the shot too the past 3 years and have been okay, it's been so long since i've had the flu :( thanks, i hope to get better soon. just feel like death warmed over!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    And two of the three strains (so I hear) mutated before they even got the shots to the public, so..

Oh, and the 'bathroom' flu isn't covered, as it isn't a flu.

uh, on topic, that sucks. Stay in bed, drink all kinds of stuff, *insert advice I'm sure you've heard a million times here*.
    Speedy recovery.
    yeah i heard about the mutations. guess i got unlucky this time around!

thanks for the advice and well wishes, i need to get to the store to get some more throat comfort tea and juice
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    yeah i've gotten the shot too the past 3 years and have been okay, it's been so long since i've had the flu :( thanks, i hope to get better soon. just feel like death warmed over!

oh i know last time i got the flu i had to drive home 30miles i literally had to drive laying down i still can get over how i made it home i was in bed for 3straight days ......sending get better vibes to you (((((((((((((())))))))))))))) :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    never had a flu shot

never had the flu
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    screw the flu shots....sorry chiqui....get well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y-yH_Qyipc

:D
  • Options
    never had a flu shot never go the flu...

screw the flu...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I don't do flu shots... I hear that this years vaccine is especially ineffective.
  • Options
    oh i know last time i got the flu i had to drive home 30miles i literally had to drive laying down i still can get over how i made it home i was in bed for 3straight days ......sending get better vibes to you (((((((((((((())))))))))))))) :)
    oh man i can't even imagine driving 3 miles in the condition i'm in! thanks for the vibes, and cb that carlin clip is hilarious :)

it's been so long since i've had the flu i forgot how much it sucks
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i've still got the cough, and i lost ten pounds. still, could be worse. my neighbor wasn't feeling well.

he died. he was 48 years old.
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    i've still got the cough, and i lost ten pounds. still, could be worse. my neighbor wasn't feeling well.

he died. he was 48 years old.
    damn, 48?? sorry :(
  • Options
    They never work. I've never had one and never gotten the flu (since I can remember.. I had it as a youngin'). Meanwhile every single person that I know gets the shot and the flu.

Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Yeah, a flu shot will only help you if you come in contact with that particular strain of the flu that the vaccine is built around. The vaccine basically teaches your immune system how to fight off that particular microbe, but that does you know good if you get hit by a different virus.
    Brian
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    damn, 48?? sorry :(

yeah, it's messed up. rick was a good human being.
  • Options
    brain of c wrote:
    yeah, it's messed up. rick was a good human being.
    what had happened to him?

and god i still feel miserable :( this pic sums it up for me. all achy and congested and hurting everywhere. and it's beautiful out too, at least if i was missing work it'd be nice to be out doing something fun. WAAAAAAAAH
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    They never work. I've never had one and never gotten the flu (since I can remember.. I had it as a youngin'). Meanwhile every single person that I know gets the shot and the flu.

I'm going to have to argue this. I work with the general public so I normally get the flu atleast once a winter, and a cold a few times.. This was the first year I had the shot and I haven't had so much as a sniffle.. unless its just a coincidence.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I probably had the flu when I was young, but can't remember to say one way or another.
    I know as much as I don't remember getting the flu, I don't remember getting a flu shot, either, so it's been a while for both!
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    They really do not work. I'm not sure why so many people think they need them.

I haven't ever had one and I do not remember the last time I had the flu....maybe when I was a child.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    to those who haven't had it, you are so lucky! even when i've been sick with a cold or something, i bounce back fast, but this one has me down bigtime. just has rendered me useless :(
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well B. I can't get the flu shot because I am allergic to eggs, so I'm always concerned about getting it.

This is a little info they sent out to us here at the Red Cross regarding this year's flu season.

How is it possible to have a mismatch between the flu vaccine and the strains of flu which then cause disease?
    Influenza viruses mutate (change) all the time and sometimes strains emerge and cause illness later than expected. Because it takes approximately eight months to manufacture the flu vaccine, experts have to make an educated guess as to what strains to include in the vaccine. For example, the best guess as to what strains will cause the flu in 2009 (and what strains to include in the 2009 vaccine formula) is taking place this month.
    The track record of “best guesses” to date has been good: 16 of the last 19 flu seasons had well-matched flu vaccines. That means they were 70-90% effective in preventing the flu during flu season. The last time the flu vaccine did not match very well was in 2003-2004 when the Fujian flu strain emerged. This year, a Brisbane influenza A strain and a Yamagata influenza B strain emerged which were not included in the flu vaccine.

Does this mean the seasonal flu vaccine was of no benefit this year?
    No, it does not mean that this year’s vaccine was absolutely useless in terms of protecting a vaccinated person from the flu. A vaccinated person may develop some protection against newly emergent strains, resulting in milder symptoms. Usually, a well-matched vaccine given to healthy young adults provides protection 70-90% of the time. Studies are pending to determine just how much protection this year’s vaccine is providing against this winter’s Brisbane strain. So while it is obviously that the amount of protection has been less than ideal, it is not useless either.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you're not feeling well B. I can't get the flu shot because I am allergic to eggs, so I'm always concerned about getting it.

This is a little info they sent out to us here at the Red Cross regarding this year's flu season.

How is it possible to have a mismatch between the flu vaccine and the strains of flu which then cause disease?
    Influenza viruses mutate (change) all the time and sometimes strains emerge and cause illness later than expected. Because it takes approximately eight months to manufacture the flu vaccine, experts have to make an educated guess as to what strains to include in the vaccine. For example, the best guess as to what strains will cause the flu in 2009 (and what strains to include in the 2009 vaccine formula) is taking place this month.
    The track record of “best guesses” to date has been good: 16 of the last 19 flu seasons had well-matched flu vaccines. That means they were 70-90% effective in preventing the flu during flu season. The last time the flu vaccine did not match very well was in 2003-2004 when the Fujian flu strain emerged. This year, a Brisbane influenza A strain and a Yamagata influenza B strain emerged which were not included in the flu vaccine.

Does this mean the seasonal flu vaccine was of no benefit this year?
    No, it does not mean that this year’s vaccine was absolutely useless in terms of protecting a vaccinated person from the flu. A vaccinated person may develop some protection against newly emergent strains, resulting in milder symptoms. Usually, a well-matched vaccine given to healthy young adults provides protection 70-90% of the time. Studies are pending to determine just how much protection this year’s vaccine is providing against this winter’s Brisbane strain. So while it is obviously that the amount of protection has been less than ideal, it is not useless either.
    thanks for that marsha! yeah i guess it doesn't hurt to get it, but it sure would be nice to not be afflicted with it now :(

and it's so beautiful outside too, i'm sittin by the window with my tea and kleenex and wishing i was out doing something fun :( bleh
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    You should be in bed :D definately take in as many fluids as possible and get as much sleep as possible

take care, hope it gets better soon
  • Options
    You should be in bed :D definately take in as many fluids as possible and get as much sleep as possible

take care, hope it gets better soon
    i'll make it back there soon i think...just finishing up my tea and my 7th glass of water lol thanks, i hope i get better soon too!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976

sorry chica. :(

it IS true though, the annual flu shot covers what the scientists deem the *most likely* strains for that year. how they determine that i have not a clue. so, look at you so special...managing to find and contract one the strains not vaccinated this year. :p

feel better!
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    sorry chica. :(

it IS true though, the annual flu shot covers what the scientists deem the *most likely* strains for that year. how they determine that i have not a clue. so, look at you so special...managing to find and contract one the strains not vaccinated this year. :p

feel better!
    :)
    haha i should go play the lotto then, once i feel animated to move lol

thanks, yeah i think i'm gonna go take a nap, i feel so tired
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    haha i should go play the lotto then, once i feel animated to move lol

thanks, yeah i think i'm gonna go take a nap, i feel so tired

haha, yes.....turn it around into something positive! :p

and absolutely...go nap! flu is one of those times where you are allowed, even expected to sleep and sleep and sleep!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    haha, yes.....turn it around into something positive! :p

and absolutely...go nap! flu is one of those times where you are allowed, even expected to sleep and sleep and sleep!
    oh i know, it's just hard to sleep when everything's hurting. i took some alka seltzer plus flu stuff which has been helping some, i think it's starting to kick in so hopefully i'll get some decent sleep now