The night I met eddie

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Here is the story, 7th of November 2006 after the forst Sydney show, the fiorst concert of the Australian tour. After waiting around for a couple of hours and after security told me all the band had left, i hung strong and waited. They soon drove up this big driveway, and there was someone i had admired for so many years stepping out of a van.

Ed walked straight to this guy who was in a wheel chair, this guy had bright coloured hair and spoke through a computer. Ed had met him beofore and started talking to him. Ed was saying how if he comes to another Sydney show he will "look after" him He told ed that he would be attending the Melbourne shows. Ed then said he couldnt do anything for him for the 1st and 2nd show because he was doing something with the family of some the victims from denmark.

He then went to give this guy a number but didnt have any paper. While his security went looking for some I pulled a piece out of my wallet and Ed was so greatful, and i must say i got one of the most sincerest thank you' s ever. There was something about looking ed in the eyes, it is so captivating. He then gave this guy a number and said to call the tour manager he will sort something out. (It was only a few months ago that i found out that Ed dedicated a song to this guy at Melbourne- Off HE Goes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQGN-GPZaeo (this is a link to his dedication)

We were told we couldn't take any photos or ask for autographs, and he came around to shake all of our hands. I was suprised how short he is and also i have to say how fragile he is, which is totally different from his stage presence. I told him how i have followed Pearl Jam since I was 8, my older sister got me into them and now i am hooked. He said "Thank your sister for me"

He was so nice and he seemed to hang onto every word I had to say, and really listen. I think he likes that, that everyone has a story to tell and everyone is unique. I'm probably wrong, but that is how i perceive him.

He then moved on to the rest of the group and someone asked if they could have a photo. His security said 'No if he does one, he has to do them all" Ed then said "well we could do one big one???"

We all gathered around in a group I made sure i was next to ed (maybe a little selfish, but hey once in a lifetime) and he put his arm around me.

He then left, thanked us all for hanging around, and there he went off into a dark Sydney night, which was lit up not by street lights, but by the smiles of about 20 lucky Pearl jam fans.

The couple whose camera it was said that they would email us the photo, They said it would be a couple of days because they were moving back to New Zealand.

Sadly, I never got that photo, nor my friend who also put his address down. If you are out thetre, I would dearly love that photo, While my memory is still fresh over 1 year on, It would mean the world to Me.
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You should have stolen that camera and run into the night. It's one of the few circumstances where stealing is recommended.

That's a great story, glad you got to meet the man.
  • Ooh, ooh, ohh! Can I touch you?!

Cool story, it must have been pretty great.

I hope you can hunt down those bastards that didn't email you your picture.
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Very cool story. I too hope whoever has the pic will send it to you. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Ooh, ooh, ohh! Can I touch you?!

Cool story, it must have been pretty great.

I hope you can hunt down those bastards that didn't email you your picture.

If you are a woman, Yes, if not, well i will shake ur hand with the same hand that eddie shook.

Thanks, i hope this can get enough exposure, Im trying to look on all different forums, it is killing me. Thaks for your support
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Cool story :)

Normally I find these "I met Ed" stories to be lame attempts to show off. But yours was different. Thanks for sharing it.

its alright, it was a very special night
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • That's a great story. i hope you find the person who
    took that one big group pic :)
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Cool story :)

Normally I find these "I met Ed" stories to be lame attempts to show off. But yours was different. Thanks for sharing it.

bah

i think its great. I would'n't be like hahahaha i met eddie and you didn't but just a story explaining it. I dont think anyone is showing off just extremely happy to have met Eddie.

you met Eddie before?
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    great story.

i love how everyone who was fortunate enough to meet him mentions how short he is!
  • heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    PM sent :)
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    That was a great story - I love ALL stories about meeting the band members! :)

I've heard similar stories about how EV approaches and listens to his fans, even pointing out how short he is. :D;)

It ain't about EV, but I met Boom's wife, Pinky, and she really is a great woman! We were talking about how it is really better meeting people who are involved with PJ - whether they are wives, roadies, personal security guards, and so on...

We were glad we got to meet Pinky. She's such a humble and down to earth woman.

Anyway, I hope you get that picture and share with us when you get that chance! :D

And oh, your sister totally rocks, too! :D

Happy holidays!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    short people rock harder ...:D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    heyjose wrote:
    PM sent :)

you rang ??..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Yeah ed is a real catch lol ....

What i dont understand is why everyone always talks about how "short" ed is. I mean, im only 5'4 so i guess just about everyone is taller than me so i dont know if i count :D I just didn't think he was all THAT short. I was however suprised out how skinny he is! Someone needs to feed that boy some biscuits and mashed tatoes.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Yeah ed is a real catch lol ....

What i dont understand is why everyone always talks about how "short" ed is. I mean, im only 5'4 so i guess just about everyone is taller than me so i dont know if i count :D I just didn't think he was all THAT short. I was however suprised out how skinny he is! Someone needs to feed that boy some biscuits and mashed tatoes.

But, I'm short!

I'm 5" 2 1/2....

:D

And I wouldn't mind getting rid of my fat and giving them to Ed!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    IamMine wrote:
    But, I'm short!

I'm 5" 2 1/2....

:D

And I wouldn't mind getting rid of my fat and giving them to Ed!

you really should... i'm pretty petite as far as women go and i think we might have the same waist size. Dude stays in shape, cant blame him for that. 5'2? They need to make platform concert shoes for peeps like us , that are light enough to where we can still jump around and rock out!
  • They need to make platform concert shoes for peeps like us , that are light enough to where we can still jump around and rock out!

That's the best idea I've heard in a while (I'm also 5'2")
  • Damn that sucks that you never got the picture :( I WISH I COULD MEET EDDIE!!!
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
    Damn that sucks that you never got the picture :( I WISH I COULD MEET EDDIE!!!

Sure does suck, I'm still hoping....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    i think i want to see that picture almost as much you now!!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    Sure does suck, I'm still hoping....
    how long has it been?
    I admit it...what's to say......
    I'll relive it...without pain......
    Backstreet lover on the side of the road
    I got a bomb in my temple that is gonna explode
    I got a sixteen gauge buried under my clothes, I play...
    how long has it been?
    It was Sydney 1 November 7th. It was on the biggest day in australia, Melbourne cup, I don't know if u have heard of it, it is a horse race and it is called the race that stops the nation, Because seriously everyone in the country watches it, it is ridiculous. So i had been to another racecourse that day, lost most of my money. I was wearing a black suit and a pink shirt and pink tie, Im not normally a pink guy, but the shirt was bought for me and it is a really good fit. On the way to the concert ppl were saying "how could u wear a pink shirt to a pearl jam concert? Fair enough point but man i really want that picture.

I think i am goin to keep bumping this thread, for a while,and hope ppl spread the word. I will post it up here if/when i get it.

Chers boys and girls
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    That is a really great story! You are so lucky! :D I really hope the people who have the camera email the photos to everybody! *sending good vibes*
    Lizard wrote:
    i think i want to see that picture almost as much you now!!! :D

haha fingers crossed i can show u.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I feel like I'm going to cry after reading your post.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    Here is the story, 7th of November 2006 after the forst Sydney show, the fiorst concert of the Australian tour. After waiting around for a couple of hours and after security told me all the band had left, i hung strong and waited. They soon drove up this big driveway, and there was someone i had admired for so many years stepping out of a van.

Ed walked straight to this guy who was in a wheel chair, this guy had bright coloured hair and spoke through a computer. Ed had met him beofore and started talking to him. Ed was saying how if he comes to another Sydney show he will "look after" him He told ed that he would be attending the Melbourne shows. Ed then said he couldnt do anything for him for the 1st and 2nd show because he was doing something with the family of some the victims from denmark.

He then went to give this guy a number but didnt have any paper. While his security went looking for some I pulled a piece out of my wallet and Ed was so greatful, and i must say i got one of the most sincerest thank you' s ever. There was something about looking ed in the eyes, it is so captivating. He then gave this guy a number and said to call the tour manager he will sort something out. (It was only a few months ago that i found out that Ed dedicated a song to this guy at Melbourne- Off HE Goes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQGN-GPZaeo (this is a link to his dedication)

We were told we couldn't take any photos or ask for autographs, and he came around to shake all of our hands. I was suprised how short he is and also i have to say how fragile he is, which is totally different from his stage presence. I told him how i have followed Pearl Jam since I was 8, my older sister got me into them and now i am hooked. He said "Thank your sister for me"

He was so nice and he seemed to hang onto every word I had to say, and really listen. I think he likes that, that everyone has a story to tell and everyone is unique. I'm probably wrong, but that is how i perceive him.

He then moved on to the rest of the group and someone asked if they could have a photo. His security said 'No if he does one, he has to do them all" Ed then said "well we could do one big one???"

We all gathered around in a group I made sure i was next to ed (maybe a little selfish, but hey once in a lifetime) and he put his arm around me.

He then left, thanked us all for hanging around, and there he went off into a dark Sydney night, which was lit up not by street lights, but by the smiles of about 20 lucky Pearl jam fans.

The couple whose camera it was said that they would email us the photo, They said it would be a couple of days because they were moving back to New Zealand.

Sadly, I never got that photo, nor my friend who also put his address down. If you are out thetre, I would dearly love that photo, While my memory is still fresh over 1 year on, It would mean the world to Me.

Thats a first, someone moving to New Zealand..........
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I wish I was the verb "to trust"
    and never let you down.

Brisbane 1, 06
    Bumping this for you. :)

Has anyone come forward yet? I hope they do!
    Bumping this for you. :)

Has anyone come forward yet? I hope they do!

had 1 private msg from 1 dude saying he knows the dude in the wheel chair and would he have a copy? other then that, no one else. And Bump
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • good luck with getting a copy of the photo. i'd really love to see it when you get it.
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Really nice story. I think those people with the camera behaved meanly.

About Eddie's heigth - I knew he is rather short, but i never converted ft to cm till now. And now i found out - Eddie's is my height! Funny:) And with age he's still shrinking:) :)

I guess people always do the same mistake - thinking that their idols are heigher than others. Big personality=big height.
    Anyway... i would like to have such memories. I know i will never meet Eddie, it's sad, but it's ok. Good that other people can:)

Thanks for sharing that moment:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
    bump to page one :D