Options

Philadelphia Defeats Scotland

Comments

• Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,141
    Hey guys lets see what the mayor of Philly is up to :) .......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqWcuwb6og&feature=related
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,771
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Hey guys lets see what the mayor of Philly is up to :) .......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKqWcuwb6og&feature=related

I can't see youtube videos at work...what is it?
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    ...Never heard that one....The quintessential "Philly accent" relies on a lot of "oh"s...if that's the phonetic way of pronouncing it...Like instead of boat, it's "bo-oht". If that makes sense or instead of bathing suit...it's baidin suit.....A professor from Penn has directed his entire studies towards it....Has a lot of influence on the Baltimore accent too....It's less to do with the "New Yorker" way of speaking...That's why Sly Stallone's accent in Rocky disappoints me.

I think it's pretty interesting, but then again I'm a homer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_accent

This is pretty cool too...

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

My result was Northeast and as Philadelphia as a cheesteak! Even though I damn that stereotype!!

And it's said "Phillufya"
    That is an awesome quiz.
    They pegged me for North Central (Minnesota) and that I'm probably mistaken for Canadian a lot.
    Funny though, unlike their description, I think the characters in Fargo sounded ridiculous ;)
  • Options
    I can't see youtube videos at work...what is it?
    Good video too.
    Title is Philly's Finest Crackkheadss' and it's some old guy dancing around picking up garbage
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Good video too.
    Title is Philly's Finest Crackkheadss' and it's some old guy dancing around picking up garbage

Nice.
  • Options
    Nice.
    Street cleaning a la interpretive dance!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Street cleaning a la interpretive dance!

I'd say, "I wish I could see this," but I'm sure I very often see this outside my house anyway.
  • Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    Rygar wrote:
    Easy now! Other than saveuplife, whom I'm not sure if he's kidding or just has no sense of humor, we're all just kidding around here ;)

Trouble reading sarcasm?

Must be the Canadian thing... I heard they can't read up there.
  • Options
    saveuplife wrote:
    Trouble reading sarcasm?

Must be the Philadelphia thing... I heard they can't read here.
    Et tu, brute?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    even the Romans couldnt defeat the Scots... i see no reason to suggest that a city full of fat crack addicts will defeat us. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    even the Romans couldnt defeat the Scots... i see no reason to suggest that a city full of fat crack addicts will defeat us. ;)
    They're a very clean people.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

You underestimate a crackhead's ability to go without sleep. They'd wait until you drunks passout then steal your money, maybe pee on you too.
  • Options
    saveuplife wrote:
    You underestimate a crackhead's ability to go without sleep. They'd wait until you drunks passout then steal your money, maybe pee on you too.
    He does have a point.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,250
    Rygar wrote:
    Surprisingly, that isn't as fast as "y'all" comes to an American.

i have never uttered that phrase at any point in my entire existence.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    saveuplife wrote:
    We say you's in the Northeast. We also don't say hola. Get it straight.

yep, not a "you's" guy either....you mean northeast philly?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Absolutely not! I say you's and I can't stand Northeast Philly. Northeast Philly can eat it hard for all I care. No offense to those in here from the NE...but seriously...eat it...hard.
  • Options

Nah, NE of the U.S. I don't say you's often either. But, we def don't say y'all.

The y'all is just not who we are.
  • Options
    saveuplife wrote:
    Nah, NE of the U.S. I don't say you's often either. But, we def don't say y'all.

The y'all is just not who we are.

the "you's" thing is something i always associated with ne philly....and i am not a huge fan of that area either. what do i know, i'm from radnor! hahaha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    look at the tough guys arguing about how you say words... in Scotland you'd all (y'all) be cremated by now.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    the "you's" thing is something i always associated with ne philly....and i am not a huge fan of that area either. what do i know, i'm from radnor! hahaha

Yeah, you's is definitely NOT a northeast Philly thing....I almost take offense to that.

You's is more of a South, Southwest, DelCo thing.
  • Options
    i have never uttered that phrase at any point in my entire existence.
    The statement was just as valid as the 'eh' to Canadians ;)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,251
    Philly is still a dump.

...that's right.

:D
  • Options
    Yeah, you's is definitely NOT a northeast Philly thing....I almost take offense to that.

You's is more of a South, Southwest, DelCo thing.

yeah it is. i know a bunch of people from up there who say "you's" all the time. my roomate in college went to archbishop ryan and always said it.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I vote scotland.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dunkman wrote:
    look at the tough guys arguing about how you say words... in Scotland you'd all (y'all) be cremated by now.

While they debate whether or not they say you's ... do you think we should point out that is one thing they would have in common with the Scots as youse say it all the time! :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I vote scotland.

Yeah I'm gonna have to vote for Scotland too.;) The fact that they are arguing over who says you's sealed the deal.:D

Absolutely not! I say you's and I can't stand Northeast Philly. Northeast Philly can eat it hard for all I care. No offense to those in here from the NE...but seriously...eat it...hard.

You guys are claiming that Philly is so awesome, and argue with Dunk about him saying he's surprised there are some bad parts.... and then you start talking shit about Northeast Philly.:confused: I don't get it.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    would rather check out Scotland than Philly.
  • Options
    Trailer wrote:
    You guys are claiming that Philly is so awesome, and argue with Dunk about him saying he's surprised there are some bad parts.... and then you start talking shit about Northeast Philly.:confused: I don't get it.

we're from here. we're allowed to rip on the northeast.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    we're from here. we're allowed to rip on the northeast.

Exactly. It's like when black people use that word - "Hey, man, that's OUR word!"

Anyway Jeagler, I'm sure people in the northeast say it, but it's not the only place. And my problem with the NE is that they wanted to be annexed from the rest of the city a while ago, and wanted to be called the Greater Northeast. Bullshit on that.
  • Options
    Exactly. It's like when black people use that word - "Hey, man, that's OUR word!"

Anyway Jeagler, I'm sure people in the northeast say it, but it's not the only place. And my problem with the NE is that they wanted to be annexed from the rest of the city a while ago, and wanted to be called the Greater Northeast. Bullshit on that.

oh i didnt realize they wanted to be annexed from the city. lol thats kind of stupid
    chinese-happy.jpg