Options

Rednecks and Guns

eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I tried posting this in the MT section but it didn't gain any traction. Perhaps y'all will enjoy the story better... I don't thinks it's really a political thread anyway.

So, I spent Thanksgiving in the middle of nowhere Wyoming as that is where my wife is from and I got a not so subtle reminder about hillbillies and guns. My wife’s sister drug us to a party and within minutes of arriving, several wasted rednecks are handing me all sorts of firearms (shotguns, handguns, assault rifles, etc.) There are also children running around all over the place while the drunken idiots play with guns. It isn’t long before they are all bitching about the new communist, nigger, muslim who will stop at nothing to take their guns away. A few even make some not very veiled Timothy McVeigh style threats about government people/buildings and fertilizer bombs. They looked at me like I was just ignorant when I asked them if they didn’t think Obama had more important matters on his plate than taking their guns away.

I felt like telling them the smart thing to do would be to not talk about killing government folks to people you just met, but I didn’t want to sound like I was second-guessing their brilliant plans.

I swear these rednecks give us educated anarchists a bad name…

Oh, and I like guns (especially that AK-47 with the 75 round drum) just not in the hands of morons.

Finally, probably this thing that stuck me as just sheer comedy was that every single on of them gave me the same message when handing me a gun - "that guy breaking in your house is going to have a suprise coming when he sees this!" Which had me thinking two things:

A. The people I have met in Wyoming don't even lock the doors to their cars or houses. I'm not sure how big a concern someone breaking in really is.

B. If you treat strangers anything like you treat me, then you probably already handed them your gun to show off anyway, so I can't imagine that it will do much good.
Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    eyedclaar wrote:
    B. If you treat strangers anything like you treat me, then you probably already handed them your gun to show off anyway, so I can't imagine that it will do much good.
    This point is most hilarious.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    That's why I stay away from redneck hillbillies!
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I feel those kind of people give Americans a bad name... Their like the semi retarded, poor nephew who lives with his grandparents in the attic... or the basement in this case...
    So im prejudice against rednecks, anybody wanna give me a grounded reason not to be? Besides that their my fellow man... :D

EDIT: Im talking major rednecks, not the normal ones... They're ok...
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    eyedclaar wrote:
    It isn’t long before they are all bitching about the new communist, nigger, muslim who will stop at nothing to take their guns away. A few even make some not very veiled Timothy McVeigh style threats about government people/buildings and fertilizer bombs. They looked at me like I was just ignorant when I asked them if they didn’t think Obama had more important matters on his plate than taking their guns away.

This reminds me of a family I know who were voting for McCain. This is was their main reason for not voting for Obama. I was thinking the same thing as you, like he has a lot more pressing issues to attend to. But Im not really a supporter hunting or guns in general.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Snake wrote:
    I feel those kind of people give Americans a bad name... Their like the semi retarded, poor nephew who lives with his grandparents in the attic... or the basement in this case...
    So im prejudice against rednecks, anybody wanna give me a grounded reason not to be? Besides that their my fellow man... :D

EDIT: Im talking major rednecks, not the normal ones... They're ok...

No worse than the thugs who think its their right to deal drugs, make money, and terrorize a community.... all because "the man" has been keeping him all down all his life.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    No worse than the thugs who think its their right to deal drugs, make money, and terrorize a community.... all because "the man" has been keeping him all down all his life.

Well, a lot of these rednecks are also meth heads. There are lots of high paying oil/natural gas jobs in Wyoming and the only thing to buy is meth and guns. Maybe we can somehow get the two sides to meet in a battle royale.

• Options
    Yikes. I would've gotten the fuck outta there.

A more humorous story regarding families with guns and the holidays

Last christmas I went to SC to visit my family like I do about every year and after we opened the present on christmas eve like we do every year, I saw about four people go outside so I follow suit and go with them. Turns out they were going outside to shoot off some rounds. Anyway, they decide to shoot at a brand new, shiny "Stop Sign Ahead" sign the county had just put up. I noticed something was different about the sign and the conversation went something like this.

Me: Huh. What's up with that sign, I don't remember it being that reflective since...hell...since I can remember

Uncle: Oh yea, they put up another one.

Me: Why'd they do that?

Uncle: The last one had too many bullet holes in it.
  • Options
    Yikes. I would've gotten the fuck outta there.

A more humorous story regarding families with guns and the holidays

Last christmas I went to SC to visit my family like I do about every year and after we opened the present on christmas eve like we do every year, I saw about four people go outside so I follow suit and go with them. Turns out they were going outside to shoot off some rounds. Anyway, they decide to shoot at a brand new, shiny "Stop Sign Ahead" sign the county had just put up. I noticed something was different about the sign and the conversation went something like this.

Me: Huh. What's up with that sign, I don't remember it being that reflective since...hell...since I can remember

Uncle: Oh yea, they put up another one.

Me: Why'd they do that?

Uncle: The last one had too many bullet holes in it.

Ah, the salt of the earth. Oh, and the wife and I lasted about 20 minutes at the redneck party before "remembering" there were things we needed to do.

• Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I think a couple people in the "deer attacks hunter" thread need to read this...it seems to describe them. ;)
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I tried posting this in the MT section but it didn't gain any traction. Perhaps y'all will enjoy the story better... I don't thinks it's really a political thread anyway.

So, I spent Thanksgiving in the middle of nowhere Wyoming as that is where my wife is from and I got a not so subtle reminder about hillbillies and guns. My wife’s sister drug us to a party and within minutes of arriving, several wasted rednecks are handing me all sorts of firearms (shotguns, handguns, assault rifles, etc.) There are also children running around all over the place while the drunken idiots play with guns. It isn’t long before they are all bitching about the new communist, nigger, muslim who will stop at nothing to take their guns away. A few even make some not very veiled Timothy McVeigh style threats about government people/buildings and fertilizer bombs. They looked at me like I was just ignorant when I asked them if they didn’t think Obama had more important matters on his plate than taking their guns away.

I felt like telling them the smart thing to do would be to not talk about killing government folks to people you just met, but I didn’t want to sound like I was second-guessing their brilliant plans.

I swear these rednecks give us educated anarchists a bad name…

Oh, and I like guns (especially that AK-47 with the 75 round drum) just not in the hands of morons.

Finally, probably this thing that stuck me as just sheer comedy was that every single on of them gave me the same message when handing me a gun - "that guy breaking in your house is going to have a suprise coming when he sees this!" Which had me thinking two things:

A. The people I have met in Wyoming don't even lock the doors to their cars or houses. I'm not sure how big a concern someone breaking in really is.

makes me glad i live in a civilised country :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    makes me glad i live in a civilised country :)

But what are you gonna do when that stranger walks in your front door? Huh? How are you supposed to blast that motherfucker? What, you gonna toss a caber at him? I don't think so!

America!
    Fuck yeah!
    Coming to save the
    motherfuckin' day yeah!

:)

• Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    But what are you gonna do when that stranger walks in your front door? Huh? How are you supposed to blast that motherfucker? What, you gonna toss a caber at him? I don't think so!

America!
    Fuck yeah!
    Coming to save the
    motherfuckin' day yeah!

:)

hey we're so civilised that (and this is an ancient law and very much true) that if a stranger comes to your door in Scotland, we are obliged by law to allow aforementioned stranger to use our toilets... gun or no gun.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    hey we're so civilised that (and this is an ancient law and very much true) that if a stranger comes to your door in Scotland, we are obliged by law to allow aforementioned stranger to use our toilets... gun or no gun.

What the hell is a toilet?

America!
    Fuck yeah!

• Options
    yeah in school my major (biological engineering) is lumped together with agricultural engineering for some reason. The other day in class I let slip that I voted for Obama and everyone looked at me like I had a disease, and a couple yelled about him having to pry their guns from their dead hands. Also, my first impression of several of these people was walking into a 7:30 am class to hear a few of them talking about their night of drinking the night before, and one of them mentioning he had a good time, except for the fact that when he woke up this morning he had dip and sunflower seeds in his mouth. I then vomited all over the place.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    When I roll up to those kind of parties, I usually pull out my knife and show them how it's more effective and I look cooler, more like a ninja. They don't believe me, so I cut them up and prove it to them.
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    What the hell is a toilet?

Detroit
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    The title of this thread sounds like a Country & Western song :D

We're gonna git 'er done
    rednecks and our guns
    We're gonna drink our coors
    then we're gonna drink yours

• Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    eyedclaar wrote:
    We're gonna git 'er done
    rednecks and our guns
    We're gonna drink our coors
    then we're gonna drink yours

Don't forget to shove your big boot up a turrurrists ass.
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    :D:D:D is that what they drinks coors ;)

you try rhyming Budweiser.
  • Options
    a blog from a redneck with guns...

always nice to mix a little bible reading in with your hunting...this is some weird shit, especially the part where he talks about giving his friend a hard time for being a "sympathetic/management shooter" because he wouldn't let the deer suffer...

"Buck Paradise"
    November 23rd, 2008
    http://www.matt-hughes.com/blog/2008/11/23/buck-paradise/

All last week I was up deer hunting at Buck Paradise in Canada. You talk about a great operation, I went up there with Legacy Sports. They supplied my gun, which is a .300 Win Mag. The gun came with the Nikko Stirling scope attached, so all I had to do was some fine tuning and it was ready to hunt with. The scope was last year’s NRA ‘Optics of the Year’ award winner. Had a great time with everybody up there. Grant Kuypers owns Buck Paradise, a really great guy. There’s only been one other place in my life where I always told myself that I was going to go back and that was Australia; but Buck Paradise has just made the list. We’re going to do some hunts in the future where I’m going to go up there and it will be open to the public as well to come up and bear hunt.

Along with Grant, I got to spend some time with Brett. Brett works for Legacy Sports and is moving to Illinois in the near future. So the good thing is we’ll be getting to see more of him as he’s a pleasure to be around. Brett and I are a lot alike, the one thing we’re not alike in is patience. We were going to hunt for five days and I mean five WHOLE days of hunting. You’re in the stand well before dawn and out of it well after the sun goes down. So my thought was with 5 days, I could really wait for something big. Brett didn’t see it that way. The first day, sometime around noon, Brett saw a deer come into his bait that was limping badly. Well he was already getting bored and decided to go ahead and take this buck and get it over with. Well he heard about this for the rest of the trip from me as I called him a sympathetic/management shooter. Needless to say, he took the rack of his deer home in a cooler and I don’t mean a big cooler either…

Me on the other hand, I took my time. The first day I saw well over ten bucks, but nothing monstrous so I didn’t shoot. The second day I decided to bring my Bible and read it a bit while I sat out there. I got all the way through Genesis as I would read 2 or 3 lines and look up to see if a buck was coming in. The good thing about hunting over bait is the animal is going to stay there for a little while. The second day, I saw 9 bucks. The third day I got most of the way through Exodus and saw 7 or 8 bucks. I did see a nice 8-pointer that I thought about taking.

The fourth day I realized time was running out so I know I’m going to have to shoot something here soon. I skimmed through Numbers, Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I wanted to get to some good stories, so when I got to Joshua I started reading hard and out pops a nice 10-pointer that was well outside the ears. I decided to go ahead and grab the gun and fire. So I shot, he ran about 20 yards and I got my first Canadian deer. If I had to guess, I’d say that he’d score around 140.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    dunkman wrote:
    you try rhyming Budweiser.

OK

Posse In Effect

Yes, yes, y'all - you don't stop
    You keep it on - and shockin' the place
    Well I'm M.C.A. - I got nothing to prove
    Pay attention - my intention is to bust a move
    I drink quarts and cans and bottles and sixes
    Between the turntables keep the vodka and the mixes
    I'm Mike D. - I got the deuces wild
    A list of girlies numbers that I've dialed
    I do the Smurf, the Popeye, and the Jerry Lewis
    I like Bullwinkle but I don't like Moose
    I'm schoolin' in the boys' room - coolin' by the locker
    All the girls in class know that I'm the cool rocker
    Punk in the hall - man I should of oughtta hit him
    Had the fresh rhymes and the kid cold bite 'em
    Smokin' in the boys room is what I do best
    While you were at a party - your girlfriend fessed
    I keep a pistol in my pocket so you better be cautious
    Fly around the world - but it makes me nauseous
    Mike D.'s day off everyday of the week
    I got to the party - and I did the freak
    I got a girl in the Castle and one in the pagoda
    You know I got rhymes like Abe Vigoda
    I'm a Def Manhattan killer - a rhyme driller
    A mike in my hand and a mouth full of Miller
    I got a hat not a visor - I drink Budweiser
    The turntables - up on the drum riser
    The needle's in the groove and the vinyl's on the platter
    I know that I'm fly man there's no need to flatter
    I travel around the globe - it's keeping girlies dizzy
    My name's Mike D. - now watch me get busy y'all

You're a fake wearin' sucker whose gold got rusted
    Cheaper than a hot do with no mustard
    You tried to steal my fresh and you got cold busted
    Because your crew's all soft and I'm disgusted
    I'm from downtown the city of Manhattan
    I got a lotta girlies and not one's cattin'
    My posse's in effect and we're doin' the do
    And we got more rhymes than your damn crew
    Caught you poppin' that weak and you must of been dusted
    Stuck you head in the toilet and stone cold flushed it
    Word.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    OK

i said 'you' not 'some daft singer guy' ;)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I don't go out into the country alone :)

They would see the brown skin and shoot first, ask questions later ;)

Obama isn't taking away guns, just like McCain wasn't gonna take away abortions.

We've had Republican and Democratic presidents and nothing really changes that much.
    NERDS!