Options

Colorado

marsupialmarsupial Posts: 14
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I live in Ohio. Family is thinking about a relocation to Colorado. ANyone from Colorado Springs or Denver or Ft. Collins that can give me more of a native's view? Thanks. Mostly curious about places to live, nice neighborhoods ( do not want traditional "suburbia" if it can be avoided).
I Don't Give 01/01/01; A Flying Fuck 02/02/02; What Shows 03/03/03; You've Attended 04/04/04;
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    how old are you? I moved to CO about a year ago, I live in Denver and I love it here... Right now the sun is shining(not like in the grey midwest) and it's kinda cold, but it is really nice in Colorado!
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    marsupial wrote:
    I live in Ohio. Family is thinking about a relocation to Colorado. ANyone from Colorado Springs or Denver or Ft. Collins that can give me more of a native's view? Thanks. Mostly curious about places to live, nice neighborhoods ( do not want traditional "suburbia" if it can be avoided).

I've lived in all 3 of those places! Ft. Collins has the nicest "Town feeling" of the 3. It's grown a lot lately, but is still a college town more then anything. Very nice and friendly people there. Colo. Spgs is probably the most beautiful, but also the weirdest attitude of the 3. Very conservative with lot of military & church going folk (not a bad thing, just different). They also have a hard time being a "city" and still try to stay a "town" if that makes sense? Denver is a BIG city, so you get everything that goes with that, good & bad. Lots to do here, and has lots of nice neighborhoods. Avoid the burbs unless you work there though as traffic is horrible here. Like most places though, that's true of all 3.
    Good Luck and hope things turn out well for you. And yes, we do average 300 days of sunshine/year (a well kept secret).
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    And yes, we do average 300 days of sunshine/year (a well kept secret).

I'm calling a HUGE FUCKING BULLSHIT ON THAT!!!! BULLSHIT I SAY!!! AND IT IS REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY COLD HERE!!!!!!!!
    I still love CO, but 300 days of sunshine I was told, that is NOT TRUE!
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I'm calling a HUGE FUCKING BULLSHIT ON THAT!!!! BULLSHIT I SAY!!! AND IT IS REAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY COLD HERE!!!!!!!!
    I still love CO, but 300 days of sunshine I was told, that is NOT TRUE!

It's cold today, but under a blue sky. Sunshine by no means equals warmth in this State, but 300 days of sunshine/year is true. Guess I need to find a Farmers Almanac or something?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    It's cold today, but under a blue sky. Sunshine by no means equals warmth in this State, but 300 days of sunshine/year is true. Guess I need to find a Farmers Almanac or something?
    yessir, please do... If we get 300 days a year, then the 65 days without sunshine must have happened within the last 3 months...
    It is pretty sunny right now! Feels good!
  • Options
    From the Colorado Climate Center:

How much sunshine do we get in Colorado? On average for a year, how many days does the sun shine in Colorado?

This is a question that comes up several times per year. You will find in many Chamber of Commerce publications from all areas of Colorado that we get at least 300 days of sunshine each year. The only problem is, there is no official definition of "days of sunshine" so there is no data set that you can easily turn to.
    Have you ever wondered if anyone actually keeps track of stuff like this? It turns out that for many years, three locations in Colorado have operated an instrument called a "sunshine switch" -- Pueblo, Denver and Colorado Springs. If this instrument is cleaned and perfectly calibrated (which it rarely is), it can tell you minute by minute each day when the sun was shining. We did a study over 10 years ago based on these three stations and found that for Denver if you count every day when the sun came out for at least one hour, that then you could come up with an average of around 300 "days of sunshine" each year.

But my assumption is that most people, if they heard "day of sunshine" would assume that meant it was a sunny day. The National Weather Service did establish a criterion for determining clear, cloudy and partly cloudy days based on sky cover. Any day, with an average skycover of 30% or less was considered a clear day, while if the sky cover was 80% or more (averaged from hourly sky condition reports between sunrise and sunset). Anything in between counts as "partly cloudy". Based on this definition, there are 115 clear days, 130 partly cloudy ones and 120 cloudy days, on average, each year. Over in Grand Junction the number of clear days is great (137) but the number of cloudy days is almost the same (121).

But the fact is, here in Colorado and much of the Rocky Mountain region, there are relatively few totally clear days but a whole lot of days when the sun peeks out at least a little. Therefore, we tend to brag about our sunshine -- but mislead folks along the way.

I am circling around your questions. Of course the answer will differ from one location to another in Colorado with the most sunshine occurring down around Alamosa with the least around Boulder and in the northern mountains of the state. -- In the Denver area there are probably only 30-40 totally overcast days per year, and some of them are even fairly bright -- about 300 days would have at least one hour of sunshine sometime during the day, but only about 115 days per year fit the classic definition of "clear". -- Answered by Nolan Doesken (9/03).

I guess you're right if you don't count an hour as a day. Guess I've been programmed???
  • Options
    it's still sunny...
    I am just getting annoyed, and ready to move somewhere warmer... it has been really cold lately, like in Wisconsin, and I don't want to go outside in that bullshit!
    Everytime my dog goes outside, even if it is just a 20ft walk to my car, he shivers like he's freezing!

One good thing about the cold: No cig smoking in bars, too cold to go outside, easy not to smoke while drinking... but then again, drinking sucks, especially here, where the elevation makes your hangover 10X worse!
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    it's still sunny...
    I am just getting annoyed, and ready to move somewhere warmer... it has been really cold lately, like in Wisconsin, and I don't want to go outside in that bullshit!
    Everytime my dog goes outside, even if it is just a 20ft walk to my car, he shivers like he's freezing!

One good thing about the cold: No cig smoking in bars, too cold to go outside, easy not to smoke while drinking... but then again, drinking sucks, especially here, where the elevation makes your hangover 10X worse!

Hang in there as things get much better come March. If you ski/board, there's nothing like skiing on a warm, SUNNY day! HAHA
    Drinking is good hear since it's much easier to catch a buzz. Never mind the fact I can drink like a fish at sea level. I use to be impressive in my younger days.
  • Options
    CServant wrote:
    Hang in there as things get much better come March. If you ski/board, there's nothing like skiing on a warm, SUNNY day! HAHA
    Drinking is good here since it's much easier to catch a buzz. Never mind the fact I can drink like a fish at sea level. I use to be impressive in my younger days.

Oooops, here (not hear).