Options

Commute Times

CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
edited December 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I grew up in a small upstate NY town and no one I knew had a commute time of more than 20 minutes. Then I move out west to California and quickly learned of people commuting over an hour and a half, each way!! I am now one of those crazy people. Almost 3 hours a freaking day driving!! So much fun after a 12 hour day.

So what's your commute times? I know some of you have to have some brutal commutes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I grew up in a small upstate NY town and no one a commute time of more than 20 minutes. Then I move out west to California and quickly learned of people commuting over an hour and a half, each way!! I am now one of those crazy people. Almost 3 hours a freaking day driving!! So much fun after a 12 hour day.

So what's your commute times? I know some of you have to have some brutal commutes.

Same as you, ugh. Except I take bus now. Gas prices and such.

Take a 6:45 Bus (after driving 10 min to it), get in office at 8:15

and same on way home.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I plain and simply couldn't exist where I had any kind of traffic ridden commute. Seriously, people would die. I'll stick to riding my bike.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    an hour each way...but it's straight down the expressway and typically no traffic. Sometimes I hate it, but most of the time I like having the time to clear my head before and after work
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    angie76angie76 Posts: 646
    My office moved recently and Im actually closer to work now. Not that my commute before was long but now it's more of a straight run. A lot of my coworkers weren't so lucky and have to drive an or hour or so.

But 3 hours a day is crazy.
    Dig a ditch deep enough
    To keep you clear of the sun
    You've been burned more than once
    You don't think much of trust
  • Options
    1 hour

but the REAL payoff is intensely rewarding
    ########################
    Celebration, the ball's in play
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    approx one hour and 10 mins each way door to door
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    15 mins by bike (April - November)
    20 mins transit (December - March)
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Approx 1 hour each way... 23 miles, so a lot of it is in traffic. :(
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    When I'm in my office back in CA my apartment is about 10-15 minutes from work. I moved there so I'm not on the 5/55/405/22 at anytime because of work. It's worth the increase in rent because of the city I lived in. So much more free time and more people get to live at the same time. :)

I purposely looked at places where side streets were my basic route to and from work. Sadly I'm on the other side of the freeway, but once I cross the freeway and get past the rushed traffic of everyone trying to get on, then it's smooth sailing...until I hit those god damn mother fucking red lights when there's no cross traffic!

Oh....sorry...so much for the less stress part! :p
  • Options
    i'm fortunate i'm not far from work! takes 30 minutes with 2 buses. if i drove it'd take 15 minutes tops, but easier to bus it and cheaper too since my work offers a subsidy for the bus pass :)
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    right now it takes me about 10 minutes with red lights...i wanted an apartment close to work. it's a bit expensive, but whatevs.

i'm scared of the drive time when i move though!! i've only heard horror stories about seattle traffic, but hopefully i'll be going against traffic when traveling to work north of the city. i have plenty of time before i really have to worry about that though :) oh well...if i can survive the random orlando traffic, i'll think seattle will be a piece of cake ;)
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    iamsampj wrote:
    right now it takes me about 10 minutes with red lights...i wanted an apartment close to work. it's a bit expensive, but whatevs.

i'm scared of the drive time when i move though!! i've only heard horror stories about seattle traffic, but hopefully i'll be going against traffic when traveling to work north of the city. i have plenty of time before i really have to worry about that though :) oh well...if i can survive the random orlando traffic, i'll think seattle will be a piece of cake ;)

When I got to Seattle I was worried too, but it's actually not bad at all. I enjoyed it. It was a piece of cake.

However...then I realized I live 5 minutes away from the most congested freeway in the United States and have driven that weekly the last 8 years of my life. So I might be a bit biased to thinking anything is easier. :p
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    I used to drive between 45-1.15 to College Park, now I drive 7-10 minutes (about two songs on the ipod) to Towson. Obviously the latter is sweet.
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    When I got to Seattle I was worried too, but it's actually not bad at all. I enjoyed it. It was a piece of cake.

However...then I realized I live 5 minutes away from the most congested freeway in the United States and have driven that weekly the last 8 years of my life. So I might be a bit biased to thinking anything is easier. :p
    when i visited a couple months ago it wasn't too bad...i think i'll be fine. it's a good thing i don't mind driving. now i just have to get myself back into the routine of leaving my house early for work...i've become spoiled by being able to leave 15 minutes before i have to work. and that's including my stop at starbucks for delicious chai tea :D
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    45 mins on the train and then a 20 minute walk.
    I live on the edge of Sydney and work sort of near the middle, hence the walk!

with traffic it would take longer than that to drive
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    The other morning, when I was walking up the stairs, the cat was in the way. I had to step over him and then proceed. Took my like an extra 2 seconds...

Love working at home....
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    iamsampj wrote:
    when i visited a couple months ago it wasn't too bad...i think i'll be fine. it's a good thing i don't mind driving. now i just have to get myself back into the routine of leaving my house early for work...i've become spoiled by being able to leave 15 minutes before i have to work. and that's including my stop at starbucks for delicious chai tea :D

Aww, yeah, being so close to work definitely spoiled me as well! When I move back to CA in a couple of weeks where I'll be staying until I get my own apartment again is about a 30-45 minute drive from my new office. So I'll have to get into that routine as well for a little while. Ugh, I'm already dreading it. :p
  • Options
    EvilMerlin wrote:
    Aww, yeah, being so close to work definitely spoiled me as well! When I move back to CA in a couple of weeks where I'll be staying until I get my own apartment again is about a 30-45 minute drive from my new office. So I'll have to get into that routine as well for a little while. Ugh, I'm already dreading it. :p
    i'm sure the fact that you are back in cali will make it somewhat tolerable :D hooray for you making it back down to the sunshine!!
  • Options
    pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    20 minutes, on a bad day a half hour. I refuse to work more than 20 miles from home...
    I could make more $$$ if I went into downtown LA or even the OC, but its not worth the stress of having to drive on the Freeways that long...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    iamsampj wrote:

When I lived in Seattle I lived on Capitol Hill and I didn't have a car. It was great! I could walk everywhere I needed to go...and when I felt like going further out I could just hop on the bus!
  • Options
    When I lived in Seattle I lived on Capitol Hill and I didn't have a car. It was great! I could walk everywhere I needed to go...and when I felt like going further out I could just hop on the bus!
    i'll be working north of the city in lynnwood...but am hoping to find a place in capitol hill. i absolutely fell in love with the neighborhood and am really excited to be able to walk most places :D
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    iamsampj wrote:
    i'll be working north of the city in lynnwood...but am hoping to find a place in capitol hill. i absolutely fell in love with the neighborhood and am really excited to be able to walk most places :D

Yeah, I REAAAAAALLLLLLY miss it!! I am thinking of moving back. I definitely want to move to a place where I don't need to drive.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    5-10 Minutes. :D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    K.LOK.LO Posts: 163
    40 minutes of driving, since the rail system doesn't go far enough north where I work.
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    An hour each way with traffic....about 45 if not......maybe 40! It sucks. It was about 5 minutes then I moved.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    2 hrs each way on a good run.... zzzzz

some nights it takes me 6 hrs to get home.... if i stop at the pub... ha
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    7 miles or about 15 to 20 minutes by car.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    Commuting to school used to take about 2 hours, since I switched to Simon Fraser University and go to their new campus in that same city it's only about 40 minutes. The difference is that, despite the two being only about 10 minutes apart, the new one is one bus literally from outside my house to campus. Zing!

I'll be at the campus on the mountain for a few days a week next semester though, and that is a bus then a train then a train then a bus up the mountain so my commute will suck again on those days.

I refuse to buy a car.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam