anyone ONLY have a cell phone?

CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
edited November 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm thinking of forgoing the land line when I move.

If you only have a cell what are the pros and cons of not having a land line?
"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    I would say about 40% of America only has a cell phone. I haven't had a land line since 1998.
    NERDS!
  • Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    when i move to MA next month I'll just use my cell.
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i only use my cellphone....have for about 5 years...:)
  • I would say about 40% of America only has a cell phone. I haven't had a land line since 1998.
    1998...wow! I prefer the landline when having a long talk... and international long distance is cheaper on the land line.
    But...I'd rather save the money.
    1998...wow! I prefer the landline when having a long talk... and long distance is cheaper on the land line.
    But...I'd rather save the money.

Long distance is free on cell phones :confused:
    NERDS!
  • Long distance is free on cell phones :confused:
    i meant international.... but I don't need that any longer :rolleyes:
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    People have land lines still?
  • People have land lines still?
    yep...and why haven't you responded to the philly meet up thread....we'll be drinking;)
  • suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    I would say about 40% of America only has a cell phone. I haven't had a land line since 1998.

what? only 40% for a country like yours?

here in my country, i think 98% of the people have cell phones.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • never owned a cell phone, hope i never do. hate talking on the phone anyway.
  • suns rival wrote:
    what? only 40% for a country like yours?

here in my country, i think 98% of the people have cell phones.
    ONLY cell phone:)
    i'd say 99% have cell phones.....except my crazy date from the other night!:eek:
    yep...and why haven't you responded to the philly meet up thread....we'll be drinking;)

...good call...
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I was really reluctant to give up my land line, but finally did a few years ago when I realized I NEVER used it and it was a complete waste of money. Plus, some people would still call me there and I wouldn't get the messages since I never used the phone. Most calls I got on my land line were from solicitors though.

A few disadvantages to only have a cell:

1. If you need to call for tech support for your cell, you're supposed to do it from another phone but you don't have one.

2. I think most home security alarm systems require a land line.

3. My cell sometimes freezes up on me or calls don't go through, which never happened with my land line.

Overall, though, I think it was worth it to get rid of the land line.
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    i just assumed most everyone ditched the landline by now and went mobile...except the old people and those that don't like change.

is there seriously a pro to owning a landline?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • brainofPJ wrote:
    i just assumed most everyone ditched the landline by now and went mobile...except the old people and those that don't like change.

There is in Australia. Over here, we get charged per minute with cell phones. The more you use yer phone, the higher the bill. A lot of phones have caps on them, so you pay x amount each month, and get xxx amount of included calls. If you make a lot of international calls, as I do, it adds up. I use pre paid phone cards for international and get 5000 minutes for $20. If I used this on my cell, I'd be paying twice coz I'd get charged for every minute I am on the phone as well as using up the phone card.
    My internet is hooked up via the phone line, so I at least need a line for that, even if I didn't have the phone connected.
    Lastly, I HATE using my cell phone. The radiation or whatever worries me. They're still a relatively new thing and haven't proven themselves as far as I am concerned. If I am every on it more than a few minutes, my ear and cheekbone feels really hot and uncomfortable and I dunno, that just seems suspect to me.
  • haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    there is something about brain tumours and cellphones that i'm always weary of... i mean i have a mobile, i usually text. whenever i talk on it for a while though it starts to get on the back of my mind...

thats why i prefer to have a home phone too.
    then again i live with the parents so the home phone isn't paid for by moi.

definitely a money saver though to have only a mobile...
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    brainofPJ wrote:

We have one because I need a fax line for business. Also, in a two story house or while outside in the yard, you can hear a land line and not a cell unless you carry it with you everywhere. I'm not into having it on me 24/7. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • depends how much you like to talk on the phone...

brain tumors...yummy...

plan on getting a hands free scenario....get that thing away from your head...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • brain tumors...yummy...

you sound like my Dad.... he never puts it to his ear....uses speaker phone and screams into it!
    depends how much you like to talk on the phone...

brain tumors...yummy...

Yep put it on your belt clip and get testicular cancer :rolleyes:
    NERDS!
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I haven't had a land line in years. I don't see the need for one anymore.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I havent had a land line in 10 years
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i've only had my cell phone for about five years now. well, when i had roommates we had a land line to let people through the gate of my housing complex.

the only complaint i have with my cell phone is that it doesn't get the greatest service inside my apartment, so my calls get dropped sometimes.
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • I haven't had a landline for about 5 years... I have a cell and also a VOIP and use Skype! Skype fees are $7.95 for three months of unlimited calling in US & Canada! I picked up a cordless handset (Dualphone) on ebay for about $50.00 so I don't have to be at the computer to use the phone!
    Exercising her will to lose control...
    she lets go
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    me!! Me and my 2 roommates only have cells...no landline. I can't even remember owning a landline. LOL
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    I only have a cell phone. I haven't had a landline since about 2000.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    you need a land line for safety reasons
    when al qaeda takes out our communication satellites, your cell phone wont work.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Only a cell phone. I have plenty of minutes on my cell and never go over. Land line would just be another bill to pay that I don't need.
    Get_Right wrote:
    you need a land line for safety reasons
    when al qaeda takes out our communication satellites, your cell phone wont work.

That damn Taliban, Al-Quada and the Pope!!! We'll be screwed!
  • Both my husband and i have mobiles but i feel like we need a landline as well. Maybe i'm old school but it just seems sketchy to me to NOT have a landline and only a cell.