Options

who is today's Albert Einstein

McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
edited April 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
so, who do you think is today's most important physicist...or astrophysicist.
-"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    Ernie Hudson
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    George Bush
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    my uncle is an awesome electrician
  • Options
    Ed Vedder

did you see that lab coat he was sportin?
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Hawking.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    billy bob thornton in armageddon.
  • Options
    McCready00 wrote:
    so, who do you think is today's most important physician .. or astrophysician.

Some punk kid hopping off a skate board wearing a leather studded jacket with a cigarette hanging from his lips.
    Deb/Bee

myspace.com/DebCharlottesville
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    long red wrote:
    Ernie Hudson

this has to be the single greatest response to a question in the history of mankind

"Tell 'em about the twinkie"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    BinFrog wrote:
    Hawking.

Its funny i was having a conversation the other day with a friend saing that hawking is like our generations Einstein.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
  • Options
    McCready00 wrote:
    so, who do you think is today's most important physician .. or astrophysician.

I think you mean "physicist...or astrophysicist."
    "Should I tell you my room is walled up? In what way might I leave it? Here is how; Goodwill knows no obstacle. Nothing can stand before a deep desire. All I have to do is imagine a door." -Schultz

Trading stories with the leaves instead
  • Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    A basement full of scientists puffing on chronic dipped in mycin potassium cyanide and liquid bubonic.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Definitely Hawking. Both looking for unity in the universe. Both great minds. Both are the only really famous physicists of the last century. It can't be anyone but Hawking really...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I don't know if there's a suitable comparison. Einstein was a humanist and all-round intellectual in many ways. He was adept in philosophising science and its implications for us as feeling beings. I don't know if Hawking, however brilliant he is, quite has that air of Everyman about him.

Outside of physics and astrophysics, a zoologist such as Dawkins tries very hard to push his militant atheism, and he receives some plaudits for it. However, he lacks that physics prof's tolerance of uncertainty, and if you lack tolerance you lack that key quality Einstein had.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    Ed Vedder

did you see that lab coat he was sportin?

Lab coat captain? :D
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    fowls wrote:
    Definitely Hawking. Both looking for unity in the universe. Both great minds. Both are the only really famous physicists of the last century. It can't be anyone but Hawking really...
    +1
    I heard Hawking speak when he was here in Seattle last year, and the guy is amazing. I say Hawking ftw
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    what alot of folks don't realize is that Einstein was nothing more than a gifted amateur when it came to physics. Beyond being a brilliant thinker, he had no formal training in that regard. Hell, he was just a clerk in a Swiss patent office. After relativity, he spent the rest of his days working on the "theory of everything." Without success. And many of his achievements were quickly forgotten and overlooked when "nuclear physics" came of age in the 1930s and 1940s.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    godpt3 wrote:
    what alot of folks don't realize is that Einstein was nothing more than a gifted amateur when it came to physics. Beyond being a brilliant thinker, he had no formal training in that regard. Hell, he was just a clerk in a Swiss patent office. After relativity, he spent the rest of his days working on the "theory of everything." Without success. And many of his achievements were quickly forgotten and overlooked when "nuclear physics" came of age in the 1930s and 1940s.

The 'theory of everything" is still a major driving force in the scientific community. String Theory ring a bell?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Toolgarden wrote:
    I think you mean "physicist...or astrophysicist."

you are right.. thanks
  • Options
    coachchriscoachchris Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada Posts: 749
    My love growing up Winnie Cooper AKA: Danika McKellar. K maybe not the Einstein of today but she is incredibly brilliant and still holds a soft spot in my heart ;)
    Adolescence in essence is all about trust.
    Leaving is for the answering machine.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    sponger wrote:
    billy bob thornton in armageddon.

:) great.
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Ron Burgundy!!! ;)
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Ron Jeremy? Well, he's got the moustache. And he knows that energy equals mass ...
  • Options
    scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    godpt3 wrote:

Uh, he did work in a patent office, but he also had a doctorate in physics (not exactly an amateur.)
  • Options
    Cuntified CCuntified C Posts: 114
    George Bush

What, so Albert Einstein was retarded?
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    this has to be the single greatest response to a question in the history of mankind

"Tell 'em about the twinkie"

what about the twinkie?

id say Harold Ramis
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    BinFrog wrote:
    The 'theory of everything" is still a major driving force in the scientific community. String Theory ring a bell?
    Indeed, but it depends on which way you look at it. Einstein worked on the theory without much success at all, which a lot of people see as tragic considering how early the great discoveries came in his career. A lot of documentaries on Einstein's life try and make him out to be obsessed with unifying science and religion by looking for the theory of everything, which I don't think is quite fair but is one way to dramatise it I guess.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    battan1120battan1120 Posts: 310
    My 5 year old daughter Lily.You should see some of the shit she does.
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!