Options

cycling to work

ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
edited May 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
here is a story our local news did about my commute to work. read it or watch it.
http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=8326905
live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    thats brilliant!! well done :):)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Very nice
  • Options
    mwbeck10mwbeck10 Posts: 274
    ajedigecko wrote:
    here is a story our local news did about my commute to work. read it or watch it.

Good story....This is my second season bike commuting to work (April - October), about a 20 mile ride round trip. My road bike is one of the best investments I ever made.
    10/27/00, 10/28/00, 10/20/01, 12/8/02, 6/1/03, 6/2/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 10/25/03, 10/28/03, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/5/08, 4/7/08, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/16/08
  • Options
    harrymanbackharrymanback Posts: 435
    slow news day in Kansas?
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    lksammktlksammkt Posts: 127
    Alot of threads on roadbikes. I am getting one this weekend. I can't wait! I am also looking forward to not sitting in traffic in 100 degree weather!
    Good article -

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Freedom_From_the_Grind__Become_a_Bike_Commuter.htm
    I just keep moving on....
  • Options
    CobbelstoneCobbelstone Posts: 35
    So you guys all commute on road bikes? I find that interesting.

I use a [semi] cheap hybrid even though I have a road bike because a) road bikes are pricey, and I don't want to destroy it on a pothole or get it stolen b) I don't want to put a rack on my road bike c) the light nature of it makes it harder for riding over potholes, curbs, etc d) clipless pedals are scary in traffic! (and a pain in the ass for stopping every 100 feet at lights)

I relegate my road bike to riding for fun for long distances.
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    that's great.

I wish I didn't commute 80 miles a day
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Nice!!!

I watched AND Read!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    good job keith!!! :)

Lizard wrote:
    Nice!!!

I watched AND Read!

you're quite the multi-tasker :p
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    that's awesome dude!!

Although u might wanna turn on them classroom lights. All your students are gonna need glasses in a few years. ;)
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    And you didn't give us a shout out???
    ;)

Awesome story.
    :)
    Good for you!
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    seems to me, that you are ahead of the times. it is good to read about someone doing something about a situation, rather than just complain.
  • Options
    I used to do that when I lived mid town. I racked up 2000 miles in one summer on my mountain bike. I went everywhere on that thing. Then it got stolen, and I moved prohibitively far.....then my dog ran away and my gold fish died.

j/k about the last two.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    Good job.

We have lots of cycling events in WA state, including one that goes "around' the state. I think they change the route on that one each time they do it.

I need a bicycle. Mine was stolen during our last move. I don't need it for going to work, 'cause I only live 1.5 blks away. But, the last time I rented a car and paid for gas, I realised I don't even want to deal that shit for little weekend road trips.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Good job.

We have lots of cycling events in WA state, including one that goes "around' the state. I think they change the route on that one each time they do it.

I need a bicycle. Mine was stolen during our last move. I don't need it for going to work, 'cause I only live 1.5 blks away. But, the last time I rented a car and paid for gas, I realised I don't even want to deal that shit for little weekend road trips.

I'm looking for something light and dirt cheap. Like $200 cheap, so when it gets stolen again I wont' care all that much. It's going to be a tough search, I've been spoiled riding a Scott carbon fiber bike...finger light. Basically you buy a nice bike these days for someone to steal it faster.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    I'm looking for something light and dirt cheap. Like $200 cheap, so when it gets stolen again I wont' care all that much. It's going to be a tough search, I've been spoiled riding a Scott carbon fiber bike...finger light. Basically you buy a nice bike these days for someone to steal it faster.

Shit, I'm gonna go even cheaper, to start at least. We have a place that sells refurbished bikes for like $50. They are located just a couple of blocks from the cop shop, so I hope that means they're legit. :o
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    Shit, I'm gonna go even cheaper, to start at least. We have a place that sells refurbished bikes for like $50. They are located just a couple of blocks from the cop shop, so I hope that means they're legit. :o

Even better. I just want something that doesn't weigh like 35-40 lbs, and looks like it came out of a 1980's Sears catalog....but then again it just makes me stronger, and I probably won't have to lock it...hehe

I might look into that option myself.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Even better. I just want something that doesn't weigh like 35-40 lbs, and looks like it came out of a 1980's Sears catalog....but then again it just makes me stronger, and I probably won't have to lock it...hehe

I might look into that option myself.
    your example of an 80's style bike made me smile. i remember when i had that style of bike, as well. and i would think you are correct on no person wanting to steal a bike that weighs that much. who knows....maybe someone will see you on a bike in the condition you described and leave you a better bike....or maybe not.
    also....several people i work with are now motivated to begin biking 1 or 2 days a week. it is a start.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    don't get me wrong - it's cool that you're in a news piece but the fact that someone commutes to work on bike is a story in it of itself is sad to say the least ...
  • Options
    Good job.

we have an annual event also, called bike across kansas "bak". it happens each june during the first or second week. i have yet to do that trip.
    and good job to you..as you are fortunate enough to live so close to work.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    don't get me wrong - it's cool that you're in a news piece but the fact that someone commutes to work on bike is a story in it of itself is sad to say the least ...
    i agree....it is sad that something as simple as cycling to work is news worthy...but at the same time it is good to see that our news and national news are taking the time to get the message out that people are making a change.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i agree....it is sad that something as simple as cycling to work is news worthy...but at the same time it is good to see that our news and national news are taking the time to get the message out that people are making a change.

is it really that rare for someone to ride to work where you are??
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    is it really that rare for someone to ride to work where you are??
    it is rare. i have been cycling to work for 4 or 5 years now. i have not seen another cyclist. i see many kids riding to school but rarely an adult.
    how about you? is it common in your town?
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Nice job!

But did you put the moves on Rebecca Gannon???? :D
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Nice job!

But did you put the moves on Rebecca Gannon???? :D
    good call and even better observation. i am sending you a pm.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    it is rare. i have been cycling to work for 4 or 5 years now. i have not seen another cyclist. i see many kids riding to school but rarely an adult.

i'm in toronto - peeps ride all year round here although definitely majority only during spring to fall ...
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    ajedigecko wrote:

Where are you from?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Good work brother! Only takes me 15 minutes to walk to work and I do at least 3/4 days out of the week.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Where are you from?
    wichita, ks. how about you?
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Good work brother! Only takes me 15 minutes to walk to work and I do at least 3/4 days out of the week.
    good work to you, as well. it is good to live close to work.