Options

"Islamic fascists"

2»

Comments

• Options
    When we talk about white supremacist movements, do we hear them referred to as "Fundamentalist Christian Facists" in the news? There are conflicting accounts of Timothy McVeigh's Christianity or lack thereof, but was he constantly referred to as "Christian Extremist Timothy McVeigh"? When learning about the KKK in school, I don't remember them being strongly identified with Protestantism, but they were. They were all about preserving a Christian nation, or some such hogwash. David Koresh was always identified as the leader of a "religious cult", not as the leader of a "Christian cult", which would have been more specific and accurate.

I definitely see how the term "facist" fits with certain Islamic groups, but I can also see how Christian groups would go apeshit if the phrase "extremist Christian terrorist" was used by President Bush.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    When we talk about white supremacist movements, do we hear them referred to as "Fundamental Christian Facists" in the news? There are conflicting accounts of Timothy McVeigh's Christianity or lack thereof, but was he constantly referred to as "Christian Extremist Timothy McVeigh"? When learning about the KKK in school, I don't remember them being strongly identified with Protestantism, but they were. They were all about preserving a Christian nation, or some such hogwash. David Koresh was always identified as the leader of a "religious cult", not as the leader of a "Christian cult", which would have been more specific and accurate.

I don't think the Branch Davidians are a cult. I also don't think David Koresh was a bad guy. Who knows though. I think the ATF fuckt up.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    When we talk about white supremacist movements, do we hear them referred to as "Fundamentalist Christian Facists" in the news?

I guess we don't, but if we did, I probably wouldn't be one of the people complaining.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    How so?

Well, for starters, you just said that the Branch Davidians weren't a cult, when the rest of the continent pretty much treats them as a classic case study of ... you guessed it ... cults.
  • Options
    I guess we don't, but if we did, I probably wouldn't be one of the people complaining.

That's great, but do see agree that certain Christian groups would... express their displeasure with the widespread use of the term?
  • Options
    That's great, but do see agree that certain Christian groups would... express their displeasure with the widespread use of the term?

Not too sure. Quite possibly, yes, although I think it would be a tad surprising to see these groups freak out at people ragging on white supremists. Maybe I am wrong.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Does anyone on the board actually have the good sense to ... you know ... be mad at the people who once again tried to kill hundreds of innocents? Or is people using terms like Islamic fascist really the pressing concern here?

well people are not happy that this type of thing was gonna happen, but remember america and israel in the same breath are currently killing thousands. I was simply trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation.

It's soooo good that people did'nt die today, oh wait they did in lebanon and iraq blah blah blah, see what i'm saying?
  • Options
    Well, for starters, you just said that the Branch Davidians weren't a cult, when the rest of the continent pretty much treats them as a classic case study of ... you guessed it ... cults.

Take a trip over to Waco and ask the residents. Ask the Sherrif, you'll get what I'm saying.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I don't think the Branch Davidians are a cult. I also don't think David Koresh was a bad guy. Who knows though. I think the ATF fuckt up.

I don't want to get into the whole Waco thing, but didn't Koresh believe that he was the Christian Messiah, or that he could open the Seven Seals and trigger the End Times, or something like that? Maybe he wasn't bad like evil bad, but that's just weird, dude.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    well people are not happy that this type of thing was gonna happen, but remember america and israel in the same breath are currently killing thousands. I was simply trying to point out the hypocrisy of the situation.

It's soooo good that people did'nt die today, oh wait they did in lebanon and iraq blah blah blah, see what i'm saying?

I do, and I don't. The fact that many people don't see the significance of the Lebanon situation does not mean that we should dismiss this one as fearmongering. I think its human nature to get more freaked out when this sort of thing hits closer to home. People in Lebanon probably didn't lose a lot of sleep on 9-11, either.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Take a trip over to Waco and ask the residents. Ask the Sherrif, you'll get what I'm saying.

A dangerous cult? Debatable. I actually agree with you on that one. But seriously ... They fit the definition of a cult.
  • Options
    A dangerous cult? Debatable. I actually agree with you on that one. But seriously ... They fit the definition of a cult.

I suppose, that's a pretty broad definition though. I think the term "cult" carries a dark tone in society.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    I suppose, that's a pretty broad definition though. I think the term "cult" carries a dark tone in society.

Fair enough. I can agree with that, and I can also agree with your earlier comment about the ATF messing that up. I was using the sociological/psychological definition of cult. Not the "baby sacrificing devil worshipping" definition that most lay people used.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I can agree with that, and I can also agree with your earlier comment about the ATF messing that up. I was using the sociological/psychological definition of cult. Not the "baby sacrificing devil worshipping" definition that most lay people used.

Ok, geil, I like real words myself, it's just hard to communicate sometimes with fake definitions.
  • Options
    Not too sure. Quite possibly, yes, although I think it would be a tad surprising to see these groups freak out at people ragging on white supremists. Maybe I am wrong.

You're not wrong, but this is what I could see happening. Pat Robertson, James Dobson, and the rest of them would flood the airwaves and call for boycotts of every media outlet that dared to defame and slander Christianity. They would accuse the liberal media of launching a secular attack on Christians everywhere. They'd say that the use of a phrase like "Extremist Christian Terrorists" would inflame hate against all Christians, when it's actually a tiny percentage of people claiming to be Christians who hold these repugnant beliefs. Falwell would condemn the white supremacist movement and say that it's a perversion of real Christian values, and that the media shouldn't use such an irresponsible and inflammatory phrase.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Ahnimus wrote:
    How so? Bush has said he is above the law. He's referred to the constitution as a "piece of paper" and nothing more. It's dictatorship, there is no other word for it. If you actually read the constitution it's designed as law for government, to keep them in line.

When he starts setting up mass killings of Americans and forcing me to worship Allah I'll start to care. If he wants to listen to my neighbor talk on the phone with a terrorist, or track money flow from terrorists in and out of the country, so be it.
  • Options
    When he starts setting up mass killings of Americans and forcing me to worship Allah I'll start to care. If he wants to listen to my neighbor talk on the phone with a terrorist, or track money flow from terrorists in and out of the country, so be it.

Mass killing of Americans would be genocide. What he is fits the definition of dictator. By the way Homeland security has been watching strip clubs and pot dealers. Not just terrorists.
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ahnimus wrote:
    What he is fits the definition of dictator.

Um, is that definition still going to work Jan 2009?
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    Um, is that definition still going to work Jan 2009?

Depends if he is still in power. If not, the new guy might be a dictator, depends on if they declare themselves above the law.
  • Options
    dictator

n 1: a speaker who dictates to a secretary or a recording machine 2: a ruler who is unconstrained by law [syn: potentate] 3: a person behaves in an tyrannical manner; "my boss is a dictator who makes everyone work overtime" [syn: authoritarian]
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Mass killing of Americans would be genocide. What he is fits the definition of dictator. By the way Homeland security has been watching strip clubs and pot dealers. Not just terrorists.

Uh oh, watch out perverts and drug dealers.
  • Options
    Uh oh, watch out perverts and drug dealers.

First of all strippers don't threaten national security, and you don't see too many Muslims at the strip club for a good reason. It's a violation of their religious beliefs. So Homeland security really has no need to be investigating strip clubs or tapping their phones.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    First of all strippers don't threaten national security, and you don't see too many Muslims at the strip club for a good reason. It's a violation of their religious beliefs. So Homeland security really has no need to be investigating strip clubs or tapping their phones.

Some of these dudes should head out to the peelers every now and then ... Might lighten them up some.
    "Screw this Jyhad ... I want one of these "lap dances". And Osama, this time please stay off the stage ... That pole is for the ladies only."
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Depends if he is still in power. If not, the new guy might be a dictator, depends on if they declare themselves above the law.

oh right right, we'll be at war with iran or north korea, he'll declare marshall law and knight himself grand poh'bah, or "they'll" rig up another good election in Ohio or Florida and do the whole above the law thang

perhaps we should consider emigrating to like Venezuela or sumthin? leave this land of tyranny and oppression to others?

you first ... I'll be RIGHT behind ya
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    acutejam wrote:
    oh right right, we'll be at war with iran or north korea, he'll declare marshall law and knight himself grand poh'bah, or "they'll" rig up another good election in Ohio or Florida and do the whole above the law thang

perhaps we should consider emigrating to like Venezuela or sumthin? leave this land of tyranny and oppression to others?

I don't live there. I'm only concerned because Canada will become Collateral Damage when the shit really hits the fan.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    acutejam wrote:

Right. You're going to leave where you can bitch on the internet and run off to South America b/c you're angry about today's politics. Life is so bad for you. Your rights are being so oppressed.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:

Only if, AND only if, the next day you are about to hijack planes and fly them in to buildings in NY city. Apparently, that's how, according to the official version of events, Muslim Extremists behave. Especially the Saudi ones.
    Oh and yeah, you tell everybody in the strip bar that tomorrow you will kill yourself and thousands of others....
    The world's greatest empires progress through this sequence:From bondage to spiritual faith; spiritual faith to great courage; courage to liberty;liberty to abundance;abundance to selfishness; selfishness to complacency;complacency to apathy;apathy to dependence;dependency back again into bondage
  • Options
    Casey1Casey1 Posts: 11
    There are many types of Muslim extremists and to categorize them all as "facists" is irresponsible...but then again, what would you expect from Bush. If you look at their basic principles, facists generally take a already existing system and bend it to their will. With that in mind, al-Qaeda could better be described as Islamo-Boshelvic group, or, a group that would wanted to completely wipe away the existing system and start over. Their are Islamic-Leninists groups. The most notable that comes to my mind is the Mujahadeen el-Khalq (MEK). The mix elements of radical Islam with Leninists-Marxists tenents. Their primary target is the Iranian government. They actually have a formidable force and could probably put up a successful fight with the right support.