Options

Black kids sent to back of bus

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
By DOUG SIMPSON, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 23 minutes ago

COUSHATTA, La. - A Louisiana school district suspended a white bus driver while it investigates complaints that she ordered nine black children to sit at the back of the bus

One of her children, Jarvonica Williams, 16, said the bus driver allowed many white students to have seats all to themselves while some blacks were forced to stand or sit in others' laps.

Iva Richmond, whose 14- and 15-year-old children were on the bus, said Thursday that they previously had a black bus driver, but their bus assignment changed this year. When school started this month, the white driver told them she had assigned them seats, with the black children at the back of the bus.

Richmond said she complained to a local principal, who told the driver that if any children were assigned to seats, all would have to be.

Early last week, the driver assigned black students to two seats in the back of the bus, Richmond said.

"All nine children were assigned to two seats in the back of the bus and the older ones had to hold the smaller ones in their laps," she said.

The women said their complaints to parish school officials were not immediately addressed.

Easley said she wanted to settle the matter. She said the driver had been suspended without pay, and she would announce the results of the district's investigation at a school board meeting on Sept. 5.

NAACP District Vice President James Panell told The Times of Shreveport that he would give federal attorneys details of the situation this week.

Coushatta is a small farming town in northern Louisiana. The school district has about 1,600 students, Easley said.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Looks like someone went sleep in the early 1950's and now just woke up.......wasn't Rip Van Winkle from New York?????
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    zelda4everzelda4ever Posts: 138
    pot smokin dumbasses
    -Let's just say i was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. Thats all it was:just curiosity.

Jim Morrison
    Los Angeles, 1969
  • Options
    thats so ...silly ... i cant think of any word to describe this ....other then plain fucking dumb
    dream like your living forever
    live like your dying today
  • Options
    Quite a strange story I think,
  • Options
    I am not familiar with Northern Louisiana nor have looked up this town on the map, yet. But if it is in the "Black Belt" region, I am surprised that you could even find black & white kids on the same school bus. In the Black Belt, which covers at least parts of Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, black kids go to public schools, while most of the white kids in the region go to private academies. But like I said, I not aware of exactly where this town is located.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I wonder if, when Barbara Bush read this, she said, "I hope they're grateful the nice bus driver all assigned them a place where they can all be together, and sing. I hear they're very musical people, aren't they?"

:rolleyes:

At least this bus-driver's racist stupidity made the news. How about those really remote, shitsville backwaters, where it's been business as usual since the fifties?
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    Oye.

What the hell else is there to say?
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • Options
    At least this bus-driver's racist stupidity made the news. How about those really remote, shitsville backwaters, where it's been business as usual since the fifties?
    Actually..........they are becoming rarer to find......large population influx into the South including a huge number of immigrants (legal and otherwise) from Mexico and Central America are rapidly changing the dynamics around here. It's not a racial utopia by any definition, but name me a place where multiple races reside that is...........
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Actually..........they are becoming rarer to find......large population influx into the South including a huge number of immigrants (legal and otherwise) from Mexico and Central America are rapidly changing the dynamics around here. It's not a racial utopia by any definition, but name me a place where multiple races reside that is...........

Yeah, I was gonna say....I live in a tiny shitsville town in SC and have been all over this state, and I have never came across this kind of behavior or acceptance of it.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    tybird wrote:

Very true, also what's true is that many peoples racism is now hidden and not so open, they'll whisper the word "nigger" not scream it. The dynamics are indeed changing.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Very true, also what's true is that many peoples racism is now hidden and not so open, they'll whisper the word "nigger" not scream it. The dynamics are indeed changing.
    True....there is some merit in what you say. It is also true that the percentage of the population that does not see race as an issue is actually growing.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    True....there is some merit in what you say. It is also true that the percentage of the population that does not see race as an issue is actually growing.

Yeah, that's accurate. But america is still far far away from being a canada.
    Not that Canada does'nt have any race issues but the level is much lower than in the US.

Maybe one day.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    Yeah, that's accurate. But america is still far far away from being a canada.
    Not that Canada does'nt have any race issues but the level is much lower than in the US.

Maybe one day.
    While despite have similar origins and sharing the continent, our histories have gone very different routes.
    1) We had the bloody revolution.........you did not
    2) Half of the nation (at that time) had an economy that required and used slave labor
    3) The Empire ended slavery a couple of decades before the U.S.
    4) That Civil War thing
    5) The assassination of Lincoln began a death spiral for race relations between the ex-slaves and the white population in the South.
    6) That's because of how Reconstruction of the South was carried out by Andrew Johnson and his cronies. Most of the distrust and hate between the races in the South really grew up during this period. Most history books don't like to even mention Reconstruction because it's a black eye against the U.S. Federal government.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Glad to see the head of FEMA got another job!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    even flow? wrote:

That's way out of line, FEMA doesn't use buses in Louisianna, you should know that ;)
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    even flow? wrote:
    chopitdown wrote:
    That's way out of line, FEMA doesn't use buses in Louisianna, you should know that
    Thanks for the :D, guys.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Looks like someone went sleep in the early 1950's and now just woke up.......wasn't Rip Van Winkle from New York?????
    hahhah. I believe he was.. maybe.. gotta bone up on my folklore..

That's borderline hysterically funny.

BTW No matter how racist, if that driver had been smoking pot she wouldn't have cared about that kind of thing ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    By DOUG SIMPSON, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 23 minutes ago

COUSHATTA, La. - A Louisiana school district suspended a white bus driver while it investigates complaints that she ordered nine black children to sit at the back of the bus

One of her children, Jarvonica Williams, 16, said the bus driver allowed many white students to have seats all to themselves while some blacks were forced to stand or sit in others' laps.

Iva Richmond, whose 14- and 15-year-old children were on the bus, said Thursday that they previously had a black bus driver, but their bus assignment changed this year. When school started this month, the white driver told them she had assigned them seats, with the black children at the back of the bus.

Richmond said she complained to a local principal, who told the driver that if any children were assigned to seats, all would have to be.

Early last week, the driver assigned black students to two seats in the back of the bus, Richmond said.

"All nine children were assigned to two seats in the back of the bus and the older ones had to hold the smaller ones in their laps," she said.

The women said their complaints to parish school officials were not immediately addressed.

Easley said she wanted to settle the matter. She said the driver had been suspended without pay, and she would announce the results of the district's investigation at a school board meeting on Sept. 5.

NAACP District Vice President James Panell told The Times of Shreveport that he would give federal attorneys details of the situation this week.

Coushatta is a small farming town in northern Louisiana. The school district has about 1,600 students, Easley said.

That's terrible! I guess some people have not learned from the past.
    Support the Troops
    Go Cubs!
  • Options
    dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,285
    even flow? wrote:
    chopitdown wrote:
    That's way out of line, FEMA doesn't use buses in Louisianna, you should know that ;)
    That was too wrong not to be funny!
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace