Options

Mos Def Arrested While Performing 'Katrina Clap' outside the VMAs

Comments

• Options
    I just wasn't expecting this kinda shit here. If it's like this here then it could be like this all over and I wouldn't know it. I thought people, in general, had moved way past stuff like this.

I think they have. I love reading this board and chiming in on occasion, but I do not find this board representative of society for the most part. Racism certainly exists I am not denying that, but you cant say it hasnt gotten better when just 50 years ago there was more or less a black america and white america living in separate societies. Not to mention that there are millions of white kids whose heros and people they look up to in music or sports or wherever, are african americans.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    I think they have. I love reading this board and chiming in on occasion, but I do not find this board representative of society for the most part. Racism certainly exists I am not denying that, but you cant say it hasnt gotten better when just 50 years ago there was more or less a black america and white america living in separate societies. Not to mention that there are millions of white kids whose heros and people they look up to in music or sports or wherever, are african americans.

I don't think this board represents society in general either. I thought the people on here would be way above stuff like this. And it's getting worse and worse each year, the things we've overcome are creeping back in.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I don't think this board represents society in general either. I thought the people on here would be way above stuff like this. And it's getting worse and worse each year, the things we've overcome are creeping back in.

For the most part this board is above stuff like that. Most of the people that I used to disagree with seemed to be respectable people with respectable opinions, they just had a different viewpoint, which I think is good. I can understand your frustration based on this thread, but I do think we have and still are moving forward with regards to race. Its not perfect by any means, but it is better.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    is it wrong that i don't like racist people?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    the articulate genius poet known as Mos Def......

such moving words.....

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/mosdef/therapeover.html

all white men is runnin this rap shit?????

is it wrong that i dont like rascist people????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    this is amazing... this is the stats on BlackStar

Product Details

* Audio CD (June 4, 2002)
    * Original Release Date: August 26, 1998
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Format: Explicit Lyrics, Original recording reissued
    * Label: Rawkus (Uni)
    * ASIN: B000067CLT
    * average customer review: based on 100 reviews. (Write a review.)
    * Amazon.com Sales Rank: #777 in Music (See Top Sellers in Music)

The review is 5 stars based on 100 reviews... I've never seen that before... not to mention the #777 for amazon for some indie record release 8 years ago...

man, i haven't lisented to my blackstar record in a while...guess i'll have to give it a spin on the turntable later
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    They agreed to pack up and they still arrested him.

Really he did nothing that should merit more than a "don't do that; pack up".

Cops tend to have a "don't ask, just beat and arrest" policy with whatever they consider "hippies" or "protests".

yes he did, he broke the law. cops can use discretion, but in this instince you are talking about breaking the law outside an event that brings money to the city, brings focus on the city, they aren't going to play nice in this case, it's common sense.

I think it is rediculous, but it's not surprising
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Good thread. My favorite was someone calling Mos Def an "illiterate thug". Hilarious.

I'm glad he did that performance there. MTV no longer has anything to offer anyone except for souless, shitty pop music.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Good thread. My favorite was someone calling Mos Def an "illiterate thug". Hilarious.

I agree. Not everyone can appreciate such hard-hitting introspect into racial sterotypes. I'm really impressed by the "baggy clothes are always used to concel weapons" comments, spot-on analysis that's just booming with credibility.
    hate was just a legend
  • Options
    I agree. Not everyone can appreciate such hard-hitting introspect into racial sterotypes. I'm really impressed by the "baggy clothes are always used to concel weapons" comments, spot-on analysis that's just booming with credibility.

I know! My jaw just kept dropping further and further down with each new reply...

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    Saturnal wrote:

I'm glad he did that performance there. MTV no longer has anything to offer anyone except for souless, shitty pop music.

The reason it seems like they only play souless shit is because that's really all that people want?

and I think I gave a reply to that "illiterate thug" comment, but i'll say it again, They have mos def confused with W Bush
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    The reason it seems like they only play souless shit is because that's really all that people want?

and I think I gave a reply to that "illiterate thug" comment, but i'll say it again, They have mos def confused with W Bush

I don't think people necesarily want it, they're just eating what is fed to them. There's a difference between music that is part of pop culture, and music that is part of artistic culture. The fomer is just much easier to sell than the latter.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    I don't think people necesarily want it, they're just eating what is fed to them. There's a difference between music that is part of pop culture, and music that is part of artistic culture. The fomer is just much easier to sell than the latter.

I'm not sure if I fully understand this, "pop culture" is what's popular/contemporary yeah? It's mainstream. So modern america is perhaps very apathetic? indifferent? selfish? so the popular music refelects that?

Like Most mainstream music yeah? "artistic culture" is more in tune with what has always been good? timeless I guess the word is.

what happens when artistic culture fuses with pop culture? does it degrade it? I don't think it does. But then comes a good point you make about people just eating what they get fed (like bad music), why? why do they just eat it?
    I think it's so much deeper in a person, it's like people are changing for the worse from the inside, I dunno.

I mean if peal jam were a new band, would they make it like they did in the 90's? I mean if they only formed in these times, if bob dylan, cat stevens and such were not from the 70's and their music came out now, would people listen to them?

I think i've perhaps gone off a bit here.
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:
    I'm not sure if I fully understand this, "pop culture" is what's popular/contemporary yeah? It's mainstream. So modern america is perhaps very apathetic? indifferent? selfish? so the popular music refelects that?

Like Most mainstream music yeah? "artistic culture" is more in tune with what has always been good? timeless I guess the word is.

what happens when artistic culture fuses with pop culture? does it degrade it? I don't think it does. But then comes a good point you make about people just eating what they get fed (like bad music), why? why do they just eat it?
    I think it's so much deeper in a person, it's like people are changing for the worse from the inside, I dunno.

I mean if peal jam were a new band, would they make it like they did in the 90's? I mean if they only formed in these times, if bob dylan, cat stevens and such were not from the 70's and their music came out now, would people listen to them?

I guess I should re-phrase what I said. I think there is a difference in music that STEMS from pop culture, and music that stems from artistic culture.

On that note, I don't think artistic culture ever fuses with pop culture. I'd say they align from time to time, but they never fuse. I don't think there is such a thing. That's what the grunge era was...just an alignment. Those are always short-lived, and I don't think Pearl Jam would be popular today. They'd have a good underground following, but that would be the extent of it. Artistic culture is very out-of-sync with pop culture right now.
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    I guess I should re-phrase what I said. I think there is a difference in music that STEMS from pop culture, and music that stems from artistic culture.

On that note, I don't think artistic culture ever fuses with pop culture. I'd say they align from time to time, but they never fuse. I don't think there is such a thing. That's what the grunge era was...just an alignment. Those are always short-lived, and I don't think Pearl Jam would be popular today. They'd have a good underground following, but that would be the extent of it. Artistic culture is very out-of-sync with pop culture right now.

yeah true, "align from time to time" makes sense and I think we are over due for an alignment
    ---
  • Options
    I know! My jaw just kept dropping further and further down with each new reply...
    I KNOW...

cuz i do the same thing every time i read one of your replies.....
  • Options
    ignoring of course the reaction and possibility of a primarily urban, illegal gathering of people on a busy street corner where Katrina is the subject...

Nice euphemism, "primarily urban". God knows you have to be careful when a bunch of those "urban" people get together in one place.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    I KNOW...

cuz i do the same thing every time i read one of your replies.....

why is that?

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    MrBrian wrote:

I think a lot of it has to do with exposure. If you don't see these good acts then you might not know where to start. And many of these groups don't want to be comercialized on MTV so young people don't hear about them as much, if at all.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    I think a lot of it has to do with exposure. If you don't see these good acts then you might not know where to start. And many of these groups don't want to be comercialized on MTV so young people don't hear about them as much, if at all.
    Also, most people who listen to pop music really don't care what they're listening to as long as it's on MTV and everyone else likes it.

Ask 'em..

"why do you like this?"

"oh, i dunno.."
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    Also, most people who listen to pop music really don't care what they're listening to as long as it's on MTV and everyone else likes it.

Ask 'em..

"why do you like this?"

"oh, i dunno.."

But maybe with a little stimulation those chains could be broken? It is sad to see so many young people be followers these days. They've forgotten how to express themselves w/o imitation.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    But maybe with a little stimulation those chains could be broken? It is sad to see so many young people be followers these days. They've forgotten how to express themselves w/o imitation.
    I'm in high school and I know what you said is true.

I know very few people who defy that statement.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    why is that?
    well....

you have mentioned that you dont think the police would have arrested clay,jessica,elton,madonna and the rolling stones had they done the same thing.....

so are you telling me that they went overboard and arrested the genius articulate poet mos def just because he was black??

or am i wrong here??

at first i thought you were just upset because they arrested him ....period...
  • Options
    well....

you have mentioned that you dont think the police would have arrested clay,jessica,elton,madonna and the rolling stones had they done the same thing.....

so are you telling me that they went overboard and arrested the genius articulate poet mos def just because he was black??

or am i wrong here??

at first i thought you were just upset because they arrested him ....period...

Yes, I think it is because he is black. But I am upset they arrested him from a fan's point of view, as well. Hopefully, this will bring some needed attention for the cause.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Yes, I think it is because he is black. But I am upset they arrested him from a fan's point of view, as well. Hopefully, this will bring some needed attention for the cause.
    i wonder if the arresting officer was racially motivated....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539981/20060901/mos_def.jhtml?headlines=true
  • Options
    i wonder if the arresting officer was racially motivated....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1539981/20060901/mos_def.jhtml?headlines=true

Black cops doing the same thing is nothing new. They have orders and they follow them, also.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    Black cops doing the same thing is nothing new. They have orders and they follow them, also.

yes they do....arrest people who are breaking the law....

regardless of skin color....
  • Options
    yes they do....arrest people who are breaking the law....

regardless of skin color....

it's not always regardless of skin color. and this wasn't a situation where he needed to be detained.

-Oscar Wilde