Options

U.S. report: More nicotine in cigarettes

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
I'm not a fan of those lawsuits against cigarette companies, but this pisses me off...

By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press WriterTue Aug 29, 3:56 PM ET

The level of nicotine found in U.S. cigarettes has risen about 10 percent in the past six years, making it harder to quit and easier to get hooked, according to a new report released Tuesday by the Massachusetts Department of Health.

The study shows a steady climb in the amount of nicotine delivered to the lungs of smokers regardless of brand, with overall nicotine yields increasing by about 10 percent.

Massachusetts is one of three U.S. states to require tobacco companies to submit information about nicotine and the only state with data going back to 1998.

Public Health Commissioner Paul Cote Jr. called the findings "significant" and said the report was the first new release on nicotine yield in more than six years nationally.

The study found the three most popular cigarette brands with young smokers — Marlboro, Newport and Camel — delivered significantly more nicotine than they did years ago. Nicotine in Kool, a popular menthol brand, rose 20 percent. More than two-thirds of black smokers use menthol brands.

Calls to Philip Morris USA, the United States' largest cigarette maker and manufacturer of Marlboro cigarettes, and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., manufacturer of Kool and Camel cigarettes, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

The study tried to measure nicotine levels based on the way smokers actually use cigarettes, health officials said, in part by partially covering ventilation holes as they smoke and taking longer puffs. Traditional testing methods which do not take real-life smoking habits into account, typically report lower nicotine contents, officials said.

Of the 179 cigarette brands tested in 2004 for the report, 93 percent fell into the highest range for nicotine. In 1998, 84 percent of 116 brands tested fell into the highest range.

Smokers who choose "light" brands hoping to reduce their nicotine intake are out of luck, according to the report that found for all brands tested in 1998 and 2004, there was no significant difference in the total nicotine content between "full flavor," "medium," "light," or "ultra-light" cigarettes.

The finding means that health care providers trying to help smokers quit may have to adjust the strength of nicotine replacement therapies like nicotine patches and gums, according to Department of Public Health Associate Commissioner Sally Fogerty.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060829/ap_on_he_me/increasing_nicotine
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    the federal government should step up and warn people about the dangers of smoking. maybe even put warnings on all of the packages that are sold.
  • Options
    Uncle LeoUncle Leo Posts: 1,059
    Just another slander on good corporations that are just trying to make a buck like everyone else.

;)
    I cannot come up with a new sig till I get this egg off my face.
  • Options
    1970RR1970RR Posts: 281
    Wouldnt higher nicotine levels mean that an individual would need to smoke LESS in order to satiate their cravings?
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    Wouldnt higher nicotine levels mean that an individual would need to smoke LESS in order to satiate their cravings?

I am by no means a scientist, but I would think that if you smoke more nicotine, it would take more to satisfy your craving? i dunno...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:

No.

The body becomes accostomed to the higher amount of Nicotene. IN theory it probably means that the smoker would have to smoke the same amount but the key, as stated in the story, is that addiction is probably quicker and quitting is probably harder.

Even though I don't like tobacco companies and think they do some shaddy things...c'mon people. The information is in your face. If you start "smoking socially" there's a good chance you'll become a smoker. It's like the kid who does not believe the stove is hot and has to touch it--do these people not believe the that smoking is addictive? All smokers are smokers because of choice.
  • Options
    I am by no means a scientist, but I would think that if you smoke more nicotine, it would take more to satisfy your craving? i dunno...
    I heard you need less whiskey than beer to achieve the same buzz.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    No.

The body becomes accostomed to the higher amount of Nicotene. IN theory it probably means that the smoker would have to smoke the same amount but the key, as stated in the story, is that addiction is probably quicker and quitting is probably harder.

Even though I don't like tobacco companies and think they do some shaddy things...c'mon people. The information is in your face. If you start "smoking socially" there's a good chance you'll become a smoker. It's like the kid who does not believe the stove is hot and has to touch it--do these people not believe the that smoking is addictive? All smokers are smokers because of choice.
    Do alcoholics become addicted quicker with whiskey or wine? And is it harder to quit when you drink martinis all the time or merlot?
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    I heard you need less whiskey than beer to achieve the same buzz.

Smoking may provide a buzz to a new smoker, but in general it is not about a buzz, but about feeding an addiction. If the body is accostomed to taking in a larger amount of nicotene, it will continute to feel the need to do so. Not only that, but smoking (for some people, I hear, I don't smoke) has a psychological addiction, so people will smoke in the same situations no matter what (i.e. after a meal or walking out of a non-smoking situation).
  • Options
    1970RR wrote:
    Do alcoholics become addicted quicker with whiskey or wine? And is it harder to quit when you drink martinis all the time or merlot?

I don't know, but I believe most alcoholics have a psycological addiction moreso than physical.
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Smoking may provide a buzz to a new smoker, but in general it is not about a buzz, but about feeding an addiction. If the body is accostomed to taking in a larger amount of nicotene, it will continute to feel the need to do so. Not only that, but smoking (for some people, I hear, I don't smoke) has a psychological addiction, so people will smoke in the same situations no matter what (i.e. after a meal or walking out of a non-smoking situation).
    I would think that an acoholic who drinks gin needs to drink less than an alcoholice who drinks wine. I dont see why the same would not apply to smoking.
  • Options
    Sometimes we like to paint people with a broad brush (liberals are soft on terror, conservatives love war, or whatever).

So I will ask a question that comes from a broad brush perspective.--

Is there anyone here (smoker or non) that has the following two things:
    A. Identify self as a conservative
    B. Thinks that tobacco companies are pretty vulgur in their history of marketing to children (Joe Camel anyone?) and their artificial enhancement of nicotene.

Or do conservatives just like tobacco companies because they do what they must to make some money?

(while I think smokers make a stupid choice, I still think tobacco companies are death peddlers. And no, I don't think those two opinions are contradictory)
  • Options
    You know how General Mills could make some serious bank? They should add an addictive ingrediant to Cherios. Most people would probably eat it every day from birth. Oh forget it, the fucking "caretaker" government would probably try to put a stop to it.
  • Options
    You know, instead of you people complaining about tabacco companies, why don't you complain about idiots that SMOKE. Frankly, I couldn't care less about how much nicotine companies choose to put in. I have no sympathy for smokers (most of which will bitch about losing their 'right' to help kill other people while smoking in public). Don't blame the tabacco companies people, its time americans take a look in the mirror and realize they have themselves to blame. PERIOD.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    Reading this thread makes me want a cigarette...
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • Options
    WMAWMA Posts: 175
    I guess if you make money off it it could make sense:
    Nicotine, an element of tobacco smoke, is one of the most addictive substances that exists. It causes both physical and psychological dependence. According to the Henningfield and Benowitz Ratings, nicotine is more addictive than heroin, alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and caffeine. [10] Many smokers continue to use tobacco even though they wish they could stop. Most smokers use nicotine compulsively. About half of Canadians who currently smoke have tried to quit. [11] McGill University health professor Jennifer O'Loughlin stated that nicotine addiction can occur as soon as five months after the start of smoking.[12]

It is difficult to quit smoking due to the withdrawal symptoms which include clinical depression, insomnia, irritability, anxiety, decreased heart rate, weight gain, and nicotine cravings. The relapse rate for quitters is high: about 60% relapse in three months. Also, nicotine users are sometimes reluctant to quit smoking because they do not see any short-term damages it may cause.

It is still a shitty thing to do.
  • Options
    WMA wrote:
    I guess if you make money off it it could make sense:

It is still a shitty thing to do.

That's how they sleep at night. They say "blame the smoker" and then what they are doing is OK.

Smokers make their choices, but I know I could not live with myself if I made my living off them...particularly if I made my living helping to devise ways to make it harder to quit and easier to get hooked.
  • Options
    THCTHC Posts: 525
    I'm not a fan of those lawsuits against cigarette companies, but this pisses me off...

By STEVE LeBLANC, Associated Press WriterTue Aug 29, 3:56 PM ET

The level of nicotine found in U.S. cigarettes has risen about 10 percent in the past six years, making it harder to quit and easier to get hooked, according to a new report released Tuesday by the Massachusetts Department of Health.

The study shows a steady climb in the amount of nicotine delivered to the lungs of smokers regardless of brand, with overall nicotine yields increasing by about 10 percent.

Massachusetts is one of three U.S. states to require tobacco companies to submit information about nicotine and the only state with data going back to 1998.

Public Health Commissioner Paul Cote Jr. called the findings "significant" and said the report was the first new release on nicotine yield in more than six years nationally.

The study found the three most popular cigarette brands with young smokers — Marlboro, Newport and Camel — delivered significantly more nicotine than they did years ago. Nicotine in Kool, a popular menthol brand, rose 20 percent. More than two-thirds of black smokers use menthol brands.

Calls to Philip Morris USA, the United States' largest cigarette maker and manufacturer of Marlboro cigarettes, and R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., manufacturer of Kool and Camel cigarettes, were not immediately returned Tuesday.

The study tried to measure nicotine levels based on the way smokers actually use cigarettes, health officials said, in part by partially covering ventilation holes as they smoke and taking longer puffs. Traditional testing methods which do not take real-life smoking habits into account, typically report lower nicotine contents, officials said.

Of the 179 cigarette brands tested in 2004 for the report, 93 percent fell into the highest range for nicotine. In 1998, 84 percent of 116 brands tested fell into the highest range.

Smokers who choose "light" brands hoping to reduce their nicotine intake are out of luck, according to the report that found for all brands tested in 1998 and 2004, there was no significant difference in the total nicotine content between "full flavor," "medium," "light," or "ultra-light" cigarettes.

The finding means that health care providers trying to help smokers quit may have to adjust the strength of nicotine replacement therapies like nicotine patches and gums, according to Department of Public Health Associate Commissioner Sally Fogerty.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060829/ap_on_he_me/increasing_nicotine

and Satan's favorite corporations strike again!!!
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    How come nobody bitches when the % of alcohol in beer goes from 5 to 8 or higher? :)
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    How come nobody bitches when the % of alcohol in beer goes from 5 to 8 or higher? :)

because its printed right on the bottle...it says...8% alcohol by volume. (its not like cigarettes where nothing is printed on the box - not even ingredients...and they keep secretively raising the addictive chemical that it is made w/)

its not secretively raising the % alcohol.....
    nor is it trying to make you think its 5% alcohol when in fact...they've raised it to 8% w/o you knowing about it.
    “Kept in a small bowl, the goldfish will remain small. With more space, the fish can grow double, triple, or quadruple its size.”
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    THC wrote:
    because its printed right on the bottle...it says...8% alcohol by volume. (its not like cigarettes where nothing is printed on the box - not even ingredients...and they keep secretively raising the addictive chemical that it is made w/)

its not secretively raising the % alcohol.....
    nor is it trying to make you think its 5% alcohol when in fact...they've raised it to 8% w/o you knowing about it.

Last I checked on a pack of smokes the nic and tar levels are right there for me to read. So tell me again what they are doing any different from the brewing companies. I haven't seen what goes into a beer on the bottle. Just an alcohol level.
  • Options
    Quitting, for the most part, is mental anyways. There's a period of withdrawal from nicotine, but it's not like you need methadone to get through it. I smoke, but I go weeks and months at a time without a cigaratte sometimes. The habit is what's hard to break, not really the physical "addiction".
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Last I checked on a pack of smokes the nic and tar levels are right there for me to read. So tell me again what they are doing any different from the brewing companies. I haven't seen what goes into a beer on the bottle. Just an alcohol level.

What type of smokes?

I just checked a pack and the carton and there is nothing like that.

On the carton it does have the ingredients:

Blended tobacco, water, high fructose corn syrup, glycerol, propylene glycol, sugars, casing flavor, natural and artifical flavors.
  • Options
    WMA wrote:
    What type of smokes?

Blended tobacco, water, high fructose corn syrup, glycerol, propylene glycol, sugars, casing flavor, natural and artifical flavors.

Wow, after the tobacco, it sounds like candy...
  • Options
    Uncle Leo wrote:
    Wow, after the tobacco, it sounds like candy...

:)

anyone ever see the simpsons episode w/ the tomacco?

"I don't know what's in it...But i know i can't stop eating it"..... :)
    -Big Fish
  • Options
    WMA wrote:
    What type of smokes?

Players, Craven A, du Maurier, etc. They all have the tar and nic on them. Along with a super pic of something or other to try and make you not smoke.

Edit: It may be that these are Cdn smokes???????? And our regulations???????
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Players, Craven A, du Maurier, etc. They all have the tar and nic on them. Along with a super pic of something or other to try and make you not smoke.

Edit: It may be that these are Cdn smokes???????? And our regulations???????

Yeah, must be. Not a bad regulation to have though. Nothing wrong with giving the consumer a little more info.
  • Options
    WMA wrote:
    Yeah, must be. Not a bad regulation to have though. Nothing wrong with giving the consumer a little more info.

I thought they did that in the US as well. Maybe it is just on cigarette advertising though. I think if you see an add in a magazine, it will show the tar, nicotine, etc.
  • Options
    US cigarette companies are really, really, REALLY, unspeakably evil.

I'll never put one of those things in my mouth. Never.

I smoke Djarums from Indonesia. They aren't made by an evil comany, and if they were, they'd be to poor to put billions into being so evil.

Also they're clove ^_^

Seriously, how can a company that still uses ARSENIC as a preservative not be one of the most evil on the planet?

(edit)

BTW there is an ENORMOUS amount of chemicals in Us cigarettes.. it's probably filed under "tobacco" on those ingredients.

They have one that swells the tobacco to twice it's size and is listed by groups/people like the surgeon general (i believe that's who made a certain chart i looked at awhile ago) as a health hazard. The chemical started with "H" i believe.

Evil, evil evil evil evil...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"