Options

My Part to Fight Global Warning

13»

Comments

• Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    surferdude wrote:
    You have no idea if goods that require greenhouse gas emissions in production have gone up? You have no idea if Germany is really greener, or do they only look greener by relying on other countries to do their dirty work while they still consume. Does Germany even grow enough food to feed themselves? If not, then all greenhouse gas emissions in other countries made in the gowing of food going to Germany should be charged to Germany. But Kyoto doesn't even care about that. Thumbs up to Germany for the illusion of progress so far, but until you know how it's done I'm not lauding and applauding. For all you know they could be like the person who thinks they've saved $100 by not paying the electricity bill.

do you know the answers to your first two questions or are you assuming...?

I really don't understand why people get so riled up about global warming...it's like going green is killing somebody...

let me ask you this...do you live near a factory that is filling the air and water table with chemicals...? if not, would you...?
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    inmytree wrote:
    do you know the answers to your first two questions or are you assuming...?

I really don't understand why people get so riled up about global warming...it's like going green is killing somebody...
    Going green is great. I try to do it as much as possible. But I don't kid myself that going green means moving the production of goods out of where I live while I still consume those same products. That's not going green, that's adopting a "not in my backyard" attitude about the environment. I'm not the one touting what Germany has done. I'm not the one that should have the facts. I'm just asking questions. Something all of us should be doing.

I definitely get riled up about Kyoto. It does not care about who uses a product, only where it is manufactured. When all responsibility for the environment is placed with the producer and zero on the consumer I have a problem.

"let me ask you this...do you live near a factory that is filling the air and water table with chemicals...? if not, would you...?" I live about a half mile from an ocean inlet that I'd never swim nor eat fish from. I live 10 minutes from the ocean that I won't swim in.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    "Science Magazine analyzed 928 peer-reviewed scientific papers on global warming published between 1993 and 2003. Not a single one challenged the scientific consensus the earth’s temperature is rising due to human activity."
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten.../306/5702/1686
    This is funny.
    I bet if we peer reviewed the sermons of 928 sermons on God published between 1993 and 2003 that not a one would challenge the consensus that God is real. Can we now end the deabte about God?
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    I dont use my car for short journeys
    I recycle all my glass, paper and plastic
    I dont use an air conditioner just open a window
    I dont collect carrierbags

Last weekend I parked next to some brand new Range Rover... had to refrain myself from keying it. Spat on it instead
  • Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    surferdude wrote:
    This is funny.
    I bet if we peer reviewed the sermons of 928 sermons on God published between 1993 and 2003 that not a one would challenge the consensus that God is real. Can we now end the deabte about God?
    Sorry but your comment has no legs whatsoever. The common belief among those giving the sermons would obviously be the belief in God. Scientists as a whole don't have a common belief in anything. They use scientific methods to prove or disprove theories etc. Plus peer review journals are by far the most valid form of criticism, IMO. Either way, your comment is as radical as the belief that global warming is a myth.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    surferdude wrote:
    I definitely get riled up about Kyoto. It does not care about who uses a product, only where it is manufactured. When all responsibility for the environment is placed with the producer and zero on the consumer I have a problem.

GREAT POINT! That is really a different take on it that I hadn't considered.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Purple HawkPurple Hawk Posts: 1,300
    inmytree wrote:

let me ask you this...do you live near a factory that is filling the air and water table with chemicals...? if not, would you...?

I don't get riled up about it AT ALL. Trust me. I think the efforts you guys have mentioned are really cute.

As for factories, what are those? Those things in China?
    And you ask me what I want this year
    And I try to make this kind and clear
    Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
    Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
    And desire and love and empty things
  • Options
    I think the efforts you guys have mentioned are really cute.
    Your mom's really cute. Folks, downplaying this crisis has turned it into and will continue to turn it into an exponentially greater crisis.
  • Options
    Your mom's really cute. Folks, downplaying this crisis has turned it into and will continue to turn it into an exponentially greater crisis.

Comon...how can you wage a "war on global warming?" Seriously, WE are to blame for this problem anyway...it's too late and there's no way to win it. While it's a good thought, it's an abstraction and just an excuse for a bunch of people who utilize fear to gain power.
  • Options
    Comon...how can you wage a "war on global warming?" Seriously, WE are to blame for this problem anyway...it's too late and there's no way to win it. While it's a good thought, it's an abstraction and just an excuse for a bunch of people who utilize fear to gain power.
    I strongly disagree. It's easy, the first step to fight global warming (instead of "terrorists") is for U.S. to ratify the Kyoto protocol. It's absolutely shameful that we're the largest offender in CO2 emissions yet cannot act responsibly on the issue. Dubya could make a decision tonight that all new federal vehicles purchased must be hybrids. He can do that without the house or the senate or even satan himself (cheney). There are definitely things we can do to save this planet. To say that it's too late is thinking and acting irresponsibly and will create a horrific fate for our children and grandchildren.
  • Options
    Sorry but your comment has no legs whatsoever. The common belief among those giving the sermons would obviously be the belief in God. Scientists as a whole don't have a common belief in anything. They use scientific methods to prove or disprove theories etc. Plus peer review journals are by far the most valid form of criticism, IMO. Either way, your comment is as radical as the belief that global warming is a myth.
    I could point you towards scientific consensus just thirty years ago that our worry was global cooling. We are fucking up our planet that's for sure but scientists don't really understand the impact we have or all that much about global climate. There has yet to be an accuate global climate model.

In many ways Kyoto is a piece of crap. It punishes manufacturing nations but not consuming nations. It doesn't treat nations equally. It allows rich countries to buy pollution credits fom poor countries, helping to keep economic development out of the very countries that need it the most.
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    LazLaz Posts: 118
    IF we are just a product of evolution, then why worry about global warming? Once we're gone then 'nature' can start anew, so why worry about it? Eat, drink for tomorrow we die, doesn't that sound great?

Like the song says, "It's evolution, baby"
  • Options
    Laz wrote:
    IF we are just a product of evolution, then why worry about global warming? Once we're gone then 'nature' can start anew, so why worry about it? Eat, drink for tomorrow we die, doesn't that sound great?

Like the song says, "It's evolution, baby"
    If only the PJ catalog were scripture.....
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    know1 wrote:
    GREAT POINT! That is really a different take on it that I hadn't considered.
    And yet another reason to ignore kyoto :rolleyes:

Oh why do the rest of us bother?? Honestly? When the most arrogant fucking nation in the world repeatedly ignores any attempts to make the earth a little bit fucking cleaner??? I wish we could just cut you off the planet and throw you over to mars or something. It would certainly be a lot easier than trying to get anything into your ......... heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    And yet another reason to ignore kyoto :rolleyes:

Oh why do the rest of us bother?? Honestly? When the most arrogant fucking nation in the world repeatedly ignores any attempts to make the earth a little bit fucking cleaner??? I wish we could just cut you off the planet and throw you over to mars or something. It would certainly be a lot easier than trying to get anything into your ......... heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Agreed...we are the biggest threat to international security that exists today. I only give the world another 10 years to exist (that's what AG tells me anyway). How long do you guys think it will be until the U.S. destroys the world? Either through supressing human rights or brainwashing citizens to buy SUV'S?

I think we may have more time than Al Gore suggests...but I'm still scared.
  • Options
    lillburlillbur Posts: 14
    Well said. AND I don't know the stats but since global warming seems to be irrefutable in Europe, I'd imagine the scientists who ARE denying it are American... perhaps receiving government funding? :confused:

i actually i saw an interview a couple of weeks ago with a canadian scientest that believed global warming is a myth. it's not just an american thing. and before any stupid comment is made, yes I do believe global warming exists, and no i'm not a conservative
    East Troy (The Ice Bowl) 2000
    Council Bluffs 2003
    St. Paul 2003
    East Troy 2003
    Boston Vote For Change Tour 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Denver Night 1 2006
    Denver Night 2 2006
  • Options
    lillbur wrote:
    i actually i saw an interview a couple of weeks ago with a canadian scientest that believed global warming is a myth. it's not just an american thing. and before any stupid comment is made, yes I do believe global warming exists, and no i'm not a conservative

I don't see anyone denying global warming...what I see are people (in the scientific community) denying that human's are destroying the planet. It's a well known secret that the left are a self-loathing bunch and automatically assume the worst in humanity. Obviously, WE are to blame. Obviously the United States are to blame. And true, we are greedy, hateful, we like to kill mexicans and empower dictators. Seriously, this is a good dialogue and I agree with you all.

But seriously...how can you fight a "war" on global warming?
  • Options
    lillburlillbur Posts: 14
    I don't see anyone denying global warming...what I see are people (in the scientific community) denying that human's are destroying the planet. It's a well known secret that the left are a self-loathing bunch and automatically assume the worst in humanity. Obviously, WE are to blame. Obviously the United States are to blame. And true, we are greedy, hateful, we like to kill mexicans and empower dictators. Seriously, this is a good dialogue and I agree with you all.

I don't disagree w/ what you are saying about a few people in the scientific community denying that huma's are destroying the planet. However, I would argue that people from both sides of the aisle are "a self-loathing bunch and automatically assume the worst in humanity." Neither "side" seems to assume the best in what people have to offer.
    East Troy (The Ice Bowl) 2000
    Council Bluffs 2003
    St. Paul 2003
    East Troy 2003
    Boston Vote For Change Tour 2004
    Montreal 2005
    Denver Night 1 2006
    Denver Night 2 2006
  • Options
    Global warming is not really debatable.

Simply speaking, it works like this, CO2 molecules in the atmosphere block some of the heat energy that reflects off the Earth's surface. This keeps the planet from freezing at night by holding in some heat. So obviously, if you add millions of tons of CO2 a year, more heat is retained in the atmosphere, and the planet warms. Simple as that.
    "Science has proof without certainty... Religion has certainty without proof"
    -Ashley Montagu
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    I don't see anyone denying global warming...what I see are people (in the scientific community) denying that human's are destroying the planet.
    I'll share thos piece of info with u again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming

The prevailing scientific opinion on climate change is that "most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities" . The increased amounts of carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gases (GHGs) are the primary causes of the human-induced component of warming. They are released by the burning of fossil fuels, land clearing and agriculture, etc.

And yes there are scientists that disagree, its also pretty well known these are ussually on the payroll of companies resposible for polution.
    It's a well known secret that the left are a self-loathing bunch and automatically assume the worst in humanity. Obviously, WE are to blame. Obviously the United States are to blame. And true, we are greedy, hateful, we like to kill mexicans and empower dictators. Seriously, this is a good dialogue and I agree with you all.
    "Boo hoo everybody hates the US" a card i've read over n over on this forum.. while in fact some nations are pre-emptively trying to stop global warming the largest poluter sticks its head in the sand and points at some scientists in the margin.

And yes Kyoto might not be the answer to the whole problem, but it's an effort to make things better. The international comunity has to start somewhere..
    How can u fight a war on drugs?
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globalwarming/globalwarming.html?clik=netmain_feat1

global warming: what you need to know

discovery channel Sunday July 16 9pm EST Saturday July 22 8pm EST
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    It's not debatable. Peer Review journals support the science behind global climate change (Thank you "An Inconvenient Truth"). The MEDIA has turned this into a debatable subject of propaganda. I think what stirs most of those opposed to the science of climate change and global warming is the idea that we as humans are dispensable. Think about it. If you believe you are a child of God, the divine, then you can't conceive that the Earth is not made for YOU. The reality is that the Earth will survive with or without human beings. We may starve, burn, and die, but the Earth will continue on. We are but passers-by, insignificant (forgive the PJ reference) in the great big scheme of things. Just because you are human does not make you special. In fact, we may be the scourges of life on this planet since we seem so hell-bent on destroying it.
    Protecting the democracy that we ask our sons and daughters to die for is our responsibility and our trust. Demanding accountability from our leaders is our job as citizens. It's the American way. -Bruce Springsteen