US Navy missile destroyer arrives in Japan

PJfanFORlifePJfanFORlife Posts: 138
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060708/ts_nm/korea_north_usa_dc_2

TOKYO (Reuters) - A U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer with the navy's most advanced combat weapon system arrived in Japan on Saturday as tensions surrounding North Korea's missile tests remained high.

The USS Mustin, equipped with missile tracking and engaging systems and with a crew of 300, will be permanently deployed at the navy's Yokosuka base in Tokyo Bay, U.S. Navy spokeswoman Hanako Tomizuka said.

The U.S. Navy now has eight vessels equipped with its Aegis weapon system at Yokosuka, home of its Seventh Fleet. They are scheduled to be joined next month by the Aegis cruiser Shiloh, which last month took part in an exercise off Hawaii that involved successfully intercepting a missile in flight.

Separately, Japan's Maritime Self-Defence Force conducted a missile firing drill off the Hawaiian island of Kauai on Friday as part of a multinational exercise, Kyodo news agency said on Saturday. Three destroyers each successfully fired a missile at an unmanned target aircraft, it said.

A salvo of missile tests by North Korea on Wednesday, including the launch of a long-range Taepodong-2 missile, unsettled the region and led to calls for the United Nations Security Council to impose international sanctions on Pyongyang.

North Korea has insisted it has the right to test the missiles, and has said it would consider sanctions against it a declaration of war. Much of its anger has been aimed at Japan for pushing for sanctions.

Japan also banned a North Korean ferry, the only regular direct link between the two countries, from entering its ports for six months as part of a package of initial sanctions.

A poll published on Saturday found that four-fifths of Japanese think their country should step up economic sanctions against North Korea in response to the missile launches.

A total of 80.7 percent favored stronger sanctions such as blocking money remittances to North Korea or curbing trade with Pyongyang, according to a survey of 1,011 people conducted on Friday and Saturday by Kyodo.

On North Korea's missile firings, 87 percent expressed anxiety, with 45.2 percent saying they "feel very anxious" and 41.8 percent saying they "feel somewhat anxious," it said.
Guess I'll trn on music instead...

ccfa.org

http://organicconsumers.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    Yes, because North Korea would have so much to gain from naunching a nuclear missile at Japan... OR AT FUCKING ANYONE!

Ok let's run down this again...of all the "nuclear powers" which one has invaded another state?

ok... of all the nuclear powers, which one has threatened to invade another country because they were approaching technologies the USA had 40 years ago?

Once again, for the hundredth time, the only way North Korea, or Iran, or any other country on the planet can avoid the unbelievable bullshit of a "pre-emptive" war is to develop MAD.

Mutually Destroyed Destruction...If you invade we take out New York and DC... that's pretty much all they can do. The problem is not the development of nuclear weapons, the problem is that governments can convince their citizens that nuclear weapons are the only way to keep the USA from invading and destroying their way of life...however fucked up we may percieve it to be
    Why am I constantly the thread ender?
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Why am I constantly the thread ender?

Because your rant seemed to imply that the U.S. is the only problem here?
    :)
    Its hard to take seriously.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the spectre of mutually assured destruction seemed to work during the cuban missile crisis. brinkmanship is a great game all the big boys can play. and during the interim it's fun to freak your citizens out and get them to back whatever crazy stunt you are planning. then you can push the blame back onto the 'protagonist'.
    and who cares what japan really thinks or does. the US owns them anyway.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    so things are great between the u.s. and japan, seeing as how they are the great trading powers? not so sure.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    and who cares what japan really thinks or does. the US owns them anyway.

Judging by property ownership and business interests, Id think it was more the other way around at this point.

If that was the prerequisite for killing a thread, there'd be nothing but dead threads in here. ;)
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141

care to answer his first 2 questions? :D

i don't think he's placing all blame on the us, either. but just b/c they are a very big (probably biggest) issue doesn't dismiss it. i mean it's not like we haven't overthrown a pretty good number of governments in our past, most for selfish reasons
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Come home missle destroyer.
  • DCGARDENDCGARDEN Posts: 515
    Perhaps someone should give Little Kim a full acess tour of the Destroyer and it's capabilities.
    I'll keep taking punches
    Untill their will grows tired
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    El_Kabong wrote:
    care to answer his first 2 questions? :D

No problem ... Which nuclear powers have invaded another state?
    The U.S., Russia, Israel, China, North Korea (although maybe they didn't have nukes in the 50s) ... Pakistan, India ... Britain ... Am I missing any?

Question #2:
    Which nuclear powers have threatened to invade another country for acquiring nukes?
    Hmm ... None? The U.S. DID invade Iraq for allegedly having WMD (not nukes per se) ... But have their been any clear threats that either Iran or North Korea is in danger of invasion? I don't really consider comments like "all options are on the table" to constitute a clear threat of invasion.
  • CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    No problem ... Which nuclear powers have invaded another state?
    The U.S., Russia, Israel, China, North Korea (although maybe they didn't have nukes in the 50s) ... Pakistan, India ... Britain ... Am I missing any?

Question #2:
    Which nuclear powers have threatened to invade another country for acquiring nukes?
    Hmm ... None? The U.S. DID invade Iraq for allegedly having WMD (not nukes per se) ... But have their been any clear threats that either Iran or North Korea is in danger of invasion? I don't really consider comments like "all options are on the table" to constitute a clear threat of invasion.

All options are on the table as they move in the navy....

The answer to the second question is exactly why North Korea has pursued nuclear technology. US foreign policy is making the world a more dangerous place...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Judging by property ownership and business interests, Id think it was more the other way around at this point.

i wasn't talking corporate propriety. there are other ways to own a country.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

fair enough