Options

Iranians among Hizbollah combat dead ...

rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Its from Reuters, so maybe take it with a grain of salt ... ;)

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Members of Iran's Revolutionary Guard have been found among Hizbollah guerrillas slain by Israeli forces in southern Lebanon, Israel's Channel 10 television reported on Wednesday citing diplomatic sources.

It said the Iranians were identified by documents found on their bodies, but gave no further details on how many were discovered or when. Neither the Israeli military nor Hizbollah representatives in Beirut had immediate comment on the report.

Iran, like fellow Hizbollah patron Syria, insists its support for the Shi'ite guerrilla group is purely moral.

Israel says many of the rockets being fired against its civilian and military targets are Iranian made, and that Hizbollah fighters taking on its forces trained in Iran. Washington also accuses Tehran of actively funding Hizbollah.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards are traditionally very close to fellow Shi'ite Muslims in Hizbollah and were deployed in south Lebanon in the 1980s.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I'm shocked!

....Well, not really.
    We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
  • Options
    Nooo Way!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I know, crazy stuff ...
    :)
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I think I filed this one under the proper heading... DUH.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    By the way, could you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if it was found that Americans were fighting with the Israelis?
  • Options
    By the way, could you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if it was found that Americans were fighting with the Israelis?
    Well... not soldiers... but, ever get a good look at their arsenal? Not too many 'Made In Israel' labels on them.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Well... not soldiers... but, ever get a good look at their arsenal? Not too many 'Made In Israel' labels on them.

Many of their small arms and the Merkava tanks are locally made ... The former from U.S. designs, granted.
    The air stuff is all American-made, to be sure.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    America is on thin ice in the blame game when it comes to arming or funding attacks on its enemies.
  • Options
    Many of their small arms and the Merkava tanks are locally made ... The former from U.S. designs, granted.
    The air stuff is all American-made, to be sure.
    That was one of the grievences the Arabs have with the U.S. From the rubble of an air strike, they find pieces of the guidence systems of the air to ground ordinances that have the 'Made In The U.S.A.' printed on it and we are seen as cohorts with Israel.
    True or not... it is their perception. And we have witnessed through many, many discussions on religion... that perception is truth to many people. We are linked to Israel in the U.N. and in the Arms Market. We are seen as Israel's personal gun runner.
    I'm not taking any sides here... just saying it how it is.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    That was one of the grievences the Arabs have with the U.S. From the rubble of an air strike, they find pieces of the guidence systems of the air to ground ordinances that have the 'Made In The U.S.A.' printed on it and we are seen as cohorts with Israel.
    True or not... it is their perception. And we have witnessed through many, many discussions on religion... that perception is truth to many people. We are linked to Israel in the U.N. and in the Arms Market. We are seen as Israel's personal gun runner.
    I'm not taking any sides here... just saying it how it is.

Yeah, I know you aren't taking sides, and you do speak the truth. To me, the whole arming Israel thing is a very thorny issue. On the one hand, it would be nice if people didn't immediately assume the Americans were to blame for every Israeli attack, and one way to do this might be to stop supplying weapons. On the other hand, should arms sales to Israel cease completely? Its a democractic country surrounded by enemies ... Would it be morally right to cease all aid? I don't know. This is a tough issue for me to think about, arms sales to Israel. My feelings are very mixed.