Options

Castro hands power to brother

MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban President Fidel Castro was undergoing intestinal surgery and provisionally handed over power in the Communist island nation to his brother Raul, according to a statement read on Cuban television Monday night
----
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Even though this transition may not bring any change in my birthplace of Cuba, I am anxious to celebrate Castro's death which is certainly arriving soon. This monster destroyed my father's life among countless others and he deserves to suffer.
  • Options
    denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    CUBA LIBRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey maybe I can get my cigars easier!!! I have to go through canada to get my smokes...worth it!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Options
    BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    Even though this transition may not bring any change in my birthplace of Cuba, I am anxious to celebrate Castro's death which is certainly arriving soon. This monster destroyed my father's life among countless others and he deserves to suffer.

As a Cuban-American. I too am just amazed at the news today. I want to say Castro die before I do. Why??? Because to many of my family members ended up in his 'prisons' was absolutely nothing at all.

But Raul??? Oh Lord...may time have made him a gentler soul. He is normally more evil than Fidel.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • Options
    TowermanTowerman Posts: 228
    apparently Castro could be already dead....
    speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656

While I agree with you that Castro has broght much unneeded heartache to our people what about people like Batista, Gomez, Morales, and Cespedes who have done the same but go unnamd as dictators who oppressed their own people all in the name of profit to line their pockets. These men are just as bad as Fidel because they sold out their people and their country just to fatten their bank accounts, yet history gives them a pass simply because they where backed by the US government. Remember this, Cuba hasn't been a free country since 1492 when it was claimed for Spain by Columbus.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    I do agree with you in regards to previous dictatorships, but I will try to give my view on this without compromising myself. There is always the lesser of two evils and if you are going to compare Batista to Castro, the one that takes the cake is Castro as the one who has converted a country which was full of culture and potential to a run-down prison. Batista was first elected by the people of Cuba, granted years after he took over power by force. However, Batista still managed to provide by building hospitals (real hospitals), creating roads, etc. People still had control over their own land, their own lives. Castro has managed to create a bubble in which the only ones who benefit are those within his circle only. He has destroyed culture, arts, faith, and family in the almost 50 years he has been in power. People risk their lives to jump into shark-infested, turbulent waters in order to flee what so many ignorant people call a great place where there is free health care, free education, and a so-called free press. The Cuba of my parents' childhood will never be again, but my parents as well as thousands of others have every right to fulfill their desire and wish of seeing a Cuba without Castro and celebrating his failing health.

Raul is said to be worse than Fidel, however, he is 75 and will, I am confident of this, soon follow his brother to the grave. I am just afraid for the Cuban people on the island who will have to face uncertainty in these times.

I hope Castro is dead as I write this!
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Man I'd love to see Cuba free. Tourist money stay in Cuba, Sugar plantations be Cuban owned, and for myself to have the ability to drink a mojito on the beach while I smoke my favorite Romeo y Julieta torpedo.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    I do agree with you in regards to previous dictatorships, but I will try to give my view on this without compromising myself. There is always the lesser of two evils and if you are going to compare Batista to Castro, the one that takes the cake is Castro as the one who has converted a country which was full of culture and potential to a run-down prison. Batista was first elected by the people of Cuba, granted years after he took over power by force. However, Batista still managed to provide by building hospitals (real hospitals), creating roads, etc. People still had control over their own land, their own lives. Castro has managed to create a bubble in which the only ones who benefit are those within his circle only. He has destroyed culture, arts, faith, and family in the almost 50 years he has been in power. People risk their lives to jump into shark-infested, turbulent waters in order to flee what so many ignorant people call a great place where there is free health care, free education, and a so-called free press. The Cuba of my parents' childhood will never be again, but my parents as well as thousands of others have every right to fulfill their desire and wish of seeing a Cuba without Castro and celebrating his failing health.

Raul is said to be worse than Fidel, however, he is 75 and will, I am confident of this, soon follow his brother to the grave. I am just afraid for the Cuban people on the island who will have to face uncertainty in these times.

I hope Castro is dead as I write this!

Castro might be a pretty extream man but he did what was needed at the time to preserve and protect Cuba from American exploitation. When your country is full of corrupt individuals like the people that backed Batista you have to kick them out in order to protect your people. The Cubans that landed in Puerto Rico are not the same as the ones that were sent to the US. I have witnessed how they have brought corruption and intimidation to my island. Dont get me wrong I have many Cuban freinds who are good hard working people but there is a group that I wouldnt mind if they were kicked out of here also.

Note: I love Cubans and I love their culture, I trully see them as my brothers as I do Dominicans and Haitians. I am Antillano, just like Hostos, Martí, Betances and many others who beleived that Cuba, Hiati, DR, and Puerto Rico should all be united as one.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Man I'd love to see Cuba free. Tourist money stay in Cuba, Sugar plantations be Cuban owned, and for myself to have the ability to drink a mojito on the beach while I smoke my favorite Romeo y Julieta torpedo.

The problem here is that once Cuba is free the turist money will go to the US and Europe. The sugar plantations will be owned by multinational corporations and the people of Cuba will be left with jack shit. but hey you will be able to smoke your stokies in beach. If Cuba is to be opened up it has to be done on Cuba's terms not on the terms of the US congress.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The problem here is that once Cuba is free the turist money will go to the US and Europe. The sugar plantations will be owned by multinational corporations and the people of Cuba will be left with jack shit. but hey you will be able to smoke your stokies in beach. If Cuba is to be opened up it has to be done on Cuba's terms not on the terms of the US congress.

yeah, and that's what I was talking about. It would be nice if they could have a good democracy and a free press and do better for themselves, spread the money out, but keep it on the island.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah, and that's what I was talking about. It would be nice if they could have a good democracy and a free press and do better for themselves, spread the money out, but keep it on the island.

It will be really hard to do, and sadly it takes a guy like Castro to prevent it. The Dominican Republic is free and they get raped by multinationals. Here in PR were are a territory of the US with all the goverment programs and all those goodies but we dont own shit. this place is basically owend by Phizer and Wallmart and that is the truth. it fucking makes my mad
  • Options
    Cuba are kind of due for an election... hehe... stop the dictatorship, just don't invade them with Big mac the next day Fidel will step down, give Cuba a chance...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Cuba are kind of due for an election... hehe... stop the dictatorship, just don't invade them with Big mac the next day Fidel will step down, give Cuba a chance...

I think that all hell will break loose in Cuba once it opens up. Oh and they will invade with BigMacs in hand. have you heard of freadom. because that is what you get...democracy comes in a Happy Meal.
  • Options
    I think that all hell will break loose in Cuba once it opens up. Oh and they will invade with BigMacs in hand. have you heard of freadom. because that is what you get...democracy comes in a Happy Meal.

hehe, i've heard that you can now buy your Democracy in a Wal Mart, it's just after the Freedom section...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Does Fidel have an heir? I remember something about a kinda wacky daughter. If any man needed a male heir, that would be little Fidel.
  • Options
    Does Fidel have an heir? I remember something about a kinda wacky daughter. If any man needed a male heir, that would be little Fidel.

He has a son thats in his 40's. He was the team doctor for the Cuban national team in the past World Baseball Classic. maybe his going to take over....who knows.