Options

Norwegian Cartoonist tribute to Steve Irwin

OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
http://www.start.no/tegneserier/m/?1157580000

Steve Irwin in the eternal indian hunting grounds. I thought it was beautiful.

Peace
Dan
"YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    A white buffalo would have been cool........nice work.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    I am not sure that I truly get the point, but my initial reaction to this cartoon is an indicitement of Steve Irwin's supposed' domination over animals.

The buffalo were almost extinct in the U.S at the turn of the century because the white man was hunting them. The Native People were at a loss for food, and were facing extermination. While the Native People were using the buffalo for survival, the white man was clearly exploiting the species, the land, and the people that depended on them.

It's sad that Mr. Irwin died, but a guy that capitalized on animals for entertainment and perpetuated the idea that we have 'mastered' wild animals for laughs is not my idea of a hero.
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    votegirl wrote:
    I am not sure that I truly get the point, but my initial reaction to this cartoon is an indicitement of Steve Irwin's supposed' domination over animals.

The buffalo were almost extinct in the U.S at the turn of the century because the white man was hunting them. The Native People were at a loss for food, and were facing extermination. While the Native People were using the buffalo for survival, the white man was clearly exploiting the species, the land, and the people that depended on them.

It's sad that Mr. Irwin died, but a guy that capitalized on animals for entertainment and perpetuated the idea that we have 'mastered' wild animals for laughs is not my idea of a hero.

He actually did a lot of good for animals bu saving them and keeping an eye on them, he never hurt them.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    votegirl.
    I read this as Steve Irwin having passed on to "the eternal hunting grounds" (for some reason that's slang in Norwegian picked up from westerns or something). Where he is depicted not hunting the animals (like the stunned indians around him), but just holding one down and exclaiming "crikey, whadda beauty".

From what I understand Irwin was a staunch defender of animals and intrusion upon their habitats. And he liked getting close and challenging them. On camera, true, but so what?

I read this as a respectful tribute, where Irwin is depicted doing what he loves in the afterlife as well.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • Options
    votegirl.
    I read this as Steve Irwin having passed on to "the eternal hunting grounds" (for some reason that's slang in Norwegian picked up from westerns or something). Where he is depicted not hunting the animals (like the stunned indians around him), but just holding one down and exclaiming "crikey, whadda beauty".

From what I understand Irwin was a staunch defender of animals and intrusion upon their habitats. And he liked getting close and challenging them. On camera, true, but so what?

I read this as a respectful tribute, where Irwin is depicted doing what he loves in the afterlife as well.

Peace
    Dan

I am learning more and more that perception is, indeed, reality.

Granted, he was considered a conservationist and I applaud him for purchasing land in order to protect animals from losing their habitat to development. There are millions of people and companies that do worse to animals everyday. But that it is an in'escapable' fact that he confined animals against their will and wrestled them into submission. He was the Crocodile "Hunter." Doing this to any animal as form of entertainment, in my opinion is not a way to convey a message of conservation and respect for nature.
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    votegirl wrote:
    I am learning more and more that perception is, indeed, reality.

Granted, he was considered a conservationist and I applaud him for purchasing land in order to protect animals from losing their habitat to development. There are millions of people and companies that do worse to animals everyday. But that it is an in'escapable' fact that he confined animals against their will and wrestled them into submission. He was the Crocodile "Hunter." Doing this to any animal as form of entertainment, in my opinion is not a way to convey a message of conservation and respect for nature.

He wrestled some animals, and made sure that large areas were conserved for them to live on. I call that a fair deal for the animals, even if some of them had to wrestle him for it. Perfect, probably not. More than lots of others? Definitely.

People with bad sides, aren't necessarily bad people.

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    People with bad sides, aren't necessarily bad people.

Peace
    Dan

Agreed. ;)
    We are all just human.
    I burst, out
    I'm transformed!
  • Options
    Uh oh ... Did you say Norwegian cartoonist?

Time to get all offended and start my own cartoon competition ...
    ;)
  • Options
    Uh oh ... Did you say Norwegian cartoonist?

Time to get all offended and start my own cartoon competition ...
    ;)

Uhm.. What? :)
    It's a norwegian cartoonist's drawing, yes.....

I dont think I got this.... :p

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    Uhm.. What? :)
    It's a norwegian cartoonist's drawing, yes.....

I dont think I got this.... :p

Peace
    Dan

Its wasn't a very good joke, admittedly ... Wasn't the guy who set off the Muslim world with those cartoons from Norway? Or was he Dutch?
  • Options
    votegirl wrote:

Oddly enough........the species was saved thanks to the efforts of a zoo....the Bronx Zoo.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    tybird wrote:
    Oddly enough........the species was saved thanks to the efforts of a zoo....the Bronx Zoo.

now's your moment to shine, tybird, you can be the next steve irwin :D
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • Options
    I call that a fair deal for the animals, even if some of them had to wrestle him for it.

Beautifully done.
  • Options
    Its wasn't a very good joke, admittedly ... Wasn't the guy who set off the Muslim world with those cartoons from Norway? Or was he Dutch?
    Ahhhhh. So that was the angle... :)
    No, it wasn't that good ;)
    And the drawings of controversy were danish, but republished in a norwegian christian newspaper.

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    Beautifully done.
    Thought you'd like that. :)

And as the compass shows elsewhere, we are very much on the same page on issues apart from economy. ;)

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    And as the compass shows elsewhere, we are very much on the same page on issues apart from economy. ;)

I'll wrestle you for it :)
  • Options
    I'll wrestle you for it :)
    You're on! But I warn you, I do a mean "Rock Bottom". Just ask my friend :)

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    You're on! But I warn you, I do a mean "Rock Bottom". Just ask my friend :)

Nevermind then....I'm all talk anyway ;)
  • Options
    Nevermind then....I'm all talk anyway ;)
    I win! :D
    See talk can win it of you just back it up enough ;)

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    I win! :D
    See talk can win it of you just back it up enough ;)

Hehe....but you had to resort to threats of force! I don't know what a "Rock Bottom" is, but it sounds damn painful.
  • Options
    Hehe....but you had to resort to threats of force! I don't know what a "Rock Bottom" is, but it sounds damn painful.

Hehe. Haven't you ever watched WWE? ;)
    The rock bottom is a signature move by "The Rock" (you know, stars in mostly crap action movies), where you grab a running man, grab him by the shoulders, hoist him in the air, and slam him flat on his back. But as every wrestling move, it looks much much worse than it actually is. The one being tossed, has to play along somewhat of course. So I dont know how much of a physical threat this really is... ;)

I did it on my friend once when we were pretty drunk on a hard basement floor, and apart from having some air knocked out of him, he was completely alright to his own amazement. The onllokers wondered if I was mad, and whether to call an ambulance :)

Can you smell what the rock is cooking? :D

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    Can you smell what the rock is cooking? :D

Yes...injustice ;)

I'll have to practice that move. My half-Nelson is a little rusty too. :)
  • Options
    Yes...injustice ;)

I'll have to practice that move. My half-Nelson is a little rusty too. :)

If justice is not served by having big guys dishing it out in the ring I dont know what does. Any argument can be resolved by a few friendly tosses through tables and the odd hit on the head with a chair. ;)

Better get practicing. I have some extra pounds for you to handle too.

Peace
    Dan

• Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    votegirl wrote:
    But that it is an in'escapable' fact that he confined animals against their will and wrestled them into submission. He was the Crocodile "Hunter." Doing this to any animal as form of entertainment, in my opinion is not a way to convey a message of conservation and respect for nature.

He confined animals against their will for their own good. Whether that be to move them into a better habitat, or educate the masses about them, it was always for the greater good of the animal. Sure, he entertained... but he educated as well. It's like saying giving vaccinations to people is bad because it hurts for a few seconds.

And no, he wasn't a crocodile "hunter." That name was given to him by higher-ups in television to attract viewers.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    El_Kabong wrote:
    now's your moment to shine, tybird, you can be the next steve irwin :D
    Ha Ha......I wish.........many miles to go my friend, many miles to go........and lots of schooling. I would rather chase animals in a climate more to my liking.......the artic or the taigia or the boreal forest.

I most admit that I have been physically part of an alligator capture......he was in the zoo........had a foot problem.......I sat on his back/tail area after the top-jaw rope and duct tape were applied.....and helped carry him to the truck..........600 lbs + was his weight.