Options

Help me, I'm confused!

CazpjCazpj Posts: 58
edited September 2006 in A Moving Train
I've been trying to get a better understanding of the whole Lebanon war situation. I know it's something that everyone should know about, but I don't know enough. Everytime I ask someone or try to read online about it I find it really confusing and complicated. And people who know all about it get very in depth about the problem, which loses me because I don't understand in the first place.

I just want to get to grips enough with the history of the situation to understand what is happening, so I can follow the news and feel like I grasp what is said, if you know what I mean..

So basically if someone could break down for a very lost person the history and what is actually happening here I would be very grateful!

Cheers,

A mind boggled Caz
4/20/06 Astoria
8/29/06 Arnhem
9/11/06 Paris
6/18/07 London
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    You are going to get several versions of history this way. Your best bet is to find a source you trust, like a history book.

Lebanon used to be bart of British Rule and then I believe Syrian Rule. At some point they got their sovereignty. In 1967 Israel's 6 day war had Israel capture the Shebaa Farms in Lebanon and the Golani Heights in Syria. Hizbullah was formed and drove Israel out of Lebanon by 2000. At this point Hizbullah called themselves "freedom fighters of the Arab world" and started acting on behalf of Palestine and Syria. Funded and supported by Iran and Syria of course. Israel still occupies the Golani Heights.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    better yet, find some1 in person with whom you know is refugee...
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    melodious wrote:
    better yet, find some1 in person with whom you know is refugee...

some1, not to be confused with know1, of course. ;)
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    There's a briefing on Lebanon on the bbc. Might help. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/country_profiles/791071.stm
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    There was a Time magazine some time ago with the title " Why they fight and why it's different this time", haven't read it ... but I think, I'm not sure, it might help you out...

can anyone confirm this?
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    There was a Time magazine some time ago with the title " Why they fight and why it's different this time", haven't read it ... but I think, I'm not sure, it might help you out...

can anyone confirm this?

Yep, a pretty good summary of the history is in there.
  • Options
    melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719
    Collin wrote:

can anyone confirm this?
    this is how my friend from the region put it too me...she says that while the western cultures were fighting for manifest destiny that her ancestors were once christians, but during 1800's that christians sumitted to the sword and went back to being muslims. her land was a creation of taxation and if you couldn't pay the taxes you would be eliminated...her family she feels gave into the sword becasue they valued their greed. for this she has had shame..when she is now married to an american man and she goes to see the "brothers" at her muslim church; they scorn her becasue she gave herself to the enemy. nope they don't want her; but they feel she should stick with her own bloodline..

/* i have waited to aske her these questions since beginning of my confusion. i ran into her this last week.
    she feels that religion is what is stifling growth; but her love for god has opened doors. she knows i am agnostic at best. we are good friends and sisters. this woman sold her kidney to make passage to u.s. to leave area 10 years ago. even so, she had hate for americans encoded in her mentality.
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
  • Options
    CazpjCazpj Posts: 58
    Thanks for the replies, I'll check out all the suggestions :0)
    4/20/06 Astoria
    8/29/06 Arnhem
    9/11/06 Paris
    6/18/07 London