Options

only in Canada

frank_blackfrank_black Posts: 156
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
CANADA PENSION

Do not apply for your old age pension. Apply to be a refugee.

It is interesting that the federal government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00 and each can get an additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total of $2,470.00.

This compares very well to a single pensioner who, after contributing to the growth and development of Canada for 40 or 50 years, can only receive a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement.

Maybe our pensioners should apply as refugees!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    CANADA PENSION

It is interesting that the federal government provides a single refugee with a monthly allowance of $1,890.00 and each can get an additional $580.00 in social assistance for a total of $2,470.00.

This compares very well to a single pensioner who, after contributing to the growth and development of Canada for 40 or 50 years, can only receive a monthly maximum of $1,012.00 in old age pension and Guaranteed Income Supplement.

Wow, that is pretty fucking sad, actually. Work all your life in this country, and get less compensation than someone who has not.
    And that is not an anti-immigration comment, either.
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    B.....r.....u....t.....a......l......
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    you can.. if you're running away from a war.
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    frank_blackfrank_black Posts: 156
    Wow, that is pretty fucking sad, actually. Work all your life in this country, and get less compensation than someone who has not.
    And that is not an anti-immigration comment, either.

i hear ya, i wasn't making this an anti-immigration statement either...it's just sad for the people who work all their lives here and get fucked by our governement.
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    That's what having Chretien in power for all those years did. The constant buying of the immigrant vote came at a big cost, our future.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    "federal government provides"

thats your problem right there, shouldn't rely on the feds to provide.
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    surferdude wrote:
    That's what having Chretien in power for all those years did. The constant buying of the immigrant vote came at a big cost, our future.

1995 ?

But i think it might goes up to Trudeau, immigration policies is Trudeau's baby...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    1995 ?

But i think it might goes up to Trudeau, immigration policies is Trudeau's baby...
    As usual you are probably right. Bu as much as I dislike most of what Trudeau brought Canada I truly despise all that Chretien represents.

I always thought that Trudeau would have made a much better high level member of foreign affairs or diplomat than government leader. I think when we look back at the Trudeau era we'll just shake our heads and wonder "How did we fall for that?". I love his just society ideaology but his policies in action have had a disasterous long term effect and because he over saw the Constitution they are almost impossible to correct.

Love him as a person and a diplomat, hate him as Prime Minister. Where as Chretien I just despise all round.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Love him as a person and a diplomat, hate him as Prime Minister. Where as Chretien I just despise all round.

Pretty much sums up my feelings, as well.
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    surferdude wrote:
    As usual you are probably right. Bu as much as I dislike most of what Trudeau brought Canada I truly despise all that Chretien represents.

I always thought that Trudeau would have made a much better high level member of foreign affairs or diplomat than government leader. I think when we look back at the Trudeau era we'll just shake our heads and wonder "How did we fall for that?". I love his just society ideaology but his policies in action have had a disasterous long term effect and because he over saw the Constitution they are almost impossible to correct.

Trudeau was a charismatic leader so that might explain his popularity, he was also standing strong against separatist, helping to make him even more popular (although he was full of shit doing it but that's just me), and his society ideology was somehow great but just a face shown in my opinion. Trudeau was great to manipulate the populations opinions. He did some good stuffs about humans rights and civil liberties, also for french speaking outside Quebec, again just an opinion.

"Just watch me", yeah hehe

What i like about Chrétien is the way he was talking, just so much to laugh at, priceless quote, and his stand against the Iraq war, i can't say anything else that i like about him.
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    CANADA PENSION

are you serious?
    holy shit. that's quite a decent net monthly salary...and they get it, for how long?! crap. can a US citizen apply for 'refugee status' in canada? :D haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Sad truth is, that amount is more than I make working full time at a software company. It's more money than most people I know make. Truth is, I only know one person that makes more than that. Pretty sad, considering we are the people working for that money. If I don't have a job or a place to live, they tell me to go to a shelter. But the refugees spend their nights at the Hilton, pretty sad.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    That's a pretty good wage for doing nothing. I too know people working full time (and more) who are making less than that. It sure takes the incentive away from working.

(and I do realize the conversion rate does come into play here, but the point still stands)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Well at least refugees kind of deserve it. But in Canada we have so many leeches sucking the blood of the social system and the good will of Canadian people. I lose about 45% of my earnings in taxes. Then those same bastards become my friend and laugh at me when I complain about taxes. They smile and say "It's good that you pay your taxes because it supports me." what a sick country. That's what I hate about Canada, we are too damn generous.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well at least refugees kind of deserve it. But in Canada we have so many leeches sucking the blood of the social system and the good will of Canadian people. I lose about 45% of my earnings in taxes. Then those same bastards become my friend and laugh at me when I complain about taxes. They smile and say "It's good that you pay your taxes because it supports me." what a sick country. That's what I hate about Canada, we are too damn generous.

Yeah, pretty much. There has to be a better way to deal with the unemployed.
  • Options
    Yeah, pretty much. There has to be a better way to deal with the unemployed.

I'm not sure how it works, when I was unemployed the provincial government lend me $500 and forced me to pay it back when I started working. Everyone just told me to go to a shelter and work through labour ready. I thought it should be like this for everyone, but for some reason. People manage to get long term disability and welfare for the stupidest reasons. I won't even apply for it. Same way I won't apply for native status. Too many people just grab on to whatever bonuses they can get. It's gonna ruin us.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Same way I won't apply for native status. Too many people just grab on to whatever bonuses they can get. It's gonna ruin us.

Interesting that you should raise this issue ... I feel the exact same way. I probably have just enough Native blood in there somewhere for me to qualify for certain benefits, but I choose not to pursue this. I don't believe in this sort of special treatment, I actually think it is harmful to both the recipients and the taxpayers.
  • Options
    Interesting that you should raise this issue ... I feel the exact same way. I probably have just enough Native blood in there somewhere for me to qualify for certain benefits, but I choose not to pursue this. I don't believe in this sort of special treatment, I actually think it is harmful to both the recipients and the taxpayers.

I may never own a car or a house. Be able to raise kids or afford a nice vacation. But I'll never feel like I cheated someone getting there.

Even when a business improperly charges me or miscounts the change, I am honest and correct the problem. Ironically, I returned $20 to a store that had messed up when I was a teenager, the very next day they accused me of shoplifting.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Even when a business improperly charges me or miscounts the change, I am honest and correct the problem. Ironically, I returned $20 to a store that had messed up when I was a teenager, the very next day they accused me of shoplifting.

Arg, really? Shit! Kudos to you for sticking to your ideals even after that kind of experience.
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    What the fuck is all this about? Whoa...no wonder the rest of the world loves Canada so much.