Options

Harper: Doesn't want to send troops for peacekeeping in Lebanon

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
"Harper said it would not be Canada's "first choice to have Canadian or foreign troops" sent to enforce peace between Israel and Hezbollah. On Tuesday, Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz said Israel would be willing to hand over control of a security zone in southern Lebanon to an international force.

Harper said any future ceasefire would be better enforced by the governments of the Middle Eastern countries.

The problem is that countries in the region, through either their incapacity or willing support, have allowed groups like Hamas and Hezbollah to arm and attack Israel, the prime minister said.

Harper has sided with Israel since military air strikes began in southern Lebanon, blaming the current crisis on the Hezbollah militant organization."
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/07/25/harper-lebanon.html

What an idiot, I mean that says it all right there.

He says, the Middle-East governments should take care of it, but they support terrorist organizations and he backs Israel. Does this make any sense?
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Yes, it makes sense. Canada does not have either the military personnel or equipment, nor does the country have the will or desire to to be part of a century long peace-keeping mission. Especially on the terms Isreal is trying to make it, taking over Lebanesen land.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Yes, it makes sense. Canada does not have either the military personnel or equipment, nor does the country have the will or desire to to be part of a century long peace-keeping mission. Especially on the terms Isreal is trying to make it, taking over Lebanesen land.

Well, we have troops to go into Afghanistan for that nonsense, and we just spent a few billion on new military equipment.

The main point I was trying to make is that he contradicts himself within the same speech. Saying that the Middle-East governments should do something about it, but then says that they support the militants, and he is a proud supporter of Israel. So, should we or should they control the area? His statements are indecisive.
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    I'm happy with this statement....I do not like the guy...but I have to respect this decision....people can continue to blame him for his early foolish comments...but at least now he isn't willing to put the lives of Canadian soldiers at risk...which is what I have been asking for.....
  • Options
    Well, I think you guys are missing the point.

And I've never had a desire to join a military until recently. Now I just want to go over there and try to help resolve the conflict as best I can. But our military isn't going, so fuck that. I'm not joining a military that only piggy-backs the USA in every war.
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Well, I think you guys are missing the point.

And I've never had a desire to join a military until recently. Now I just want to go over there and try to help resolve the conflict as best I can. But our military isn't going, so fuck that. I'm not joining a military that only piggy-backs the USA in every war.

Well the point I see is that he said it is a no-go for Canadian troops...I still find his unilateral support the wrong decison and a very bad one...however I see this as a positive decision for everyone...b/c I really think the consensus in the country is stay out of the whole ordeal....
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    The whole thing it about sending one message but delivering another.

No troop support, but he is supporting Israel. The wolf in sheeps clothing.
  • Options
    The whole thing it about sending one message while supporting another.

No troop support, but he is supporting Israel. The wolf in sheeps clothing.

Glass is half full.....

Would you rather have him say that he would send troops???

As much as a lot of us cannot stand Harper lets be happy that he actually made a good decision instead of beating him just cause...his lack of neutraility bugs me...but this decision I like....I can sleep better that not one of my countrymen will get involved in this stupidity....