Options

Hezbollah

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Factfile: Hezbollah
By James Brandon

Hezbollah is an Islamic resistance group and political party based in Lebanon. Founded by Shia Muslims to resist Israel's invasion of Lebanon in 1982, the group's political and military success has made it a model for other Islamic movements worldwide.

History

Hezbollah was founded in the early 1980s by Lebanese Shia who wanted to fight the Israeli army, which since 1982 had occupied a large area of southern Lebanon.

The movement grew quickly after receiving Syrian and Iranian logistical, financial and military support. Its members carried out numerous suicide attacks against Israeli targets inside Lebanon.

By the late 1990s Hezbollah had developed into a sophisticated political party while also funding free schools, hospitals and social programmes for Lebanon's often impoverished and rural Shia population.

But at the same time, its fighters continued to mount ever more lethal attacks on Israeli forces in Lebanon, leading to an increasing pressure on the Israeli government to pull out.

Israeli defeat

In May 2000 Israel withdrew from all of Lebanon. Hezbollah was widely seen as the cause of the Israeli defeat. Many observers hailed the group as the first Arab military force to defeat an Israeli army.

But while the group's popularity soared within Lebanon – even among many Lebanese Christians and Sunnis - world powers called for Hezbollah to lay down its arms and enter mainstream politics.

Hezbollah supporters in Beirut

By late 2000 the group was under increasing international pressure to disarm now that the Israelis had left.

A new role

A few months after the Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon, the second Palestinian intifada broke out in October 2000.

The violence offered Hezbollah's armed wing a new role and purpose. Within months the Shia group had rebranded itself as a defender of all Arabs and Muslims

In October 2000 Hezbollah kidnapped three Israeli soldiers on the Lebanese border and demanded the release of Arab prisoners held by Israel.

In January 2004 Israel released nearly 500 Palestinian and Lebanese prisoners in return for a kidnapped Israeli businessman and the bodies of the four soldiers.

Since the Israeli withdrawal, Hezbollah has also attacked the Shebaa Farms, an Israeli-occupied area of land bordering Southern Lebanon. Hezbollah claims that this 25 square km area is historically Lebanese but the UN and Israel say it was captured from Syria during the 1973 Arab-Israeli war.

The future

Hezbollah's leader, Hassan Nasrallah, has tried to build the group into the dominant political party among the Lebanese Shia, who are the largest of Lebanon's 19 religious minorities.

Hassan Nasrallah

The movement's success at driving Israel out of Lebanon has inspired many other Islamic groups around the Middle East from Hamas in Palestine to Muqtada al-Sadr's Madhi Army in Iraq.

However, Hezbollah remains dependent on Syria and Iran for funds and arms. The US has frequently called on both countries to stop supporting the group which is today estimated to have several thousand fighters.

Syria has previously offered to disarm Hezbollah if Israel returns the Golan Heights, which it has held since 1967.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/27EDF072-1581-48CE-812D-A34D7C89A333.htm

Ok, I was wrong about a few facts, I said they were founded in 2000 on the basis of the Shebaa farms, but in reality they were founded in 1980 for similar interests. They hold those interests today.
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ""Hizbullah is doing more for the Palestinian cause than any Arab government has ever done. When he says he will resist "Israel", he does," said Muhammad Hassan, who runs a small barber shop. "We did not know he had such technology - and especially the ability to hit an Israeli warship. It was a nice surprise."

His enthusiasm for Hizbullah leader is not blind or unquestioning. A customer nodded in support as Mr Hassan conceded: "It is diverting attention from Gaza to Lebanon, and everyone is focusing on Lebanon now." After a pause, he added: "I am not sure whether Hizbullah should have waited but it has lessened "Israel" pressure on Gaza. He may have wanted to give Gaza a breathing space." The customer chipped in: "Now there are two fronts.""

http://www.ghaliboun.net/enewsdetails.php?id=178
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Many Palestinians say they do not wish Shalit to be harmed, but they back the demand to free some of the 9,000 underage Palestinian prisoners, including infants, held by “Israel”.

"I think they should release the women and children and (for militants to) release the soldier. But without anything in return, they`ll kill him," said Saked Abu Kosh, a 30-year-old pharmacist in the southern town of Rafah.

The militants implied Monday that they would kill tank-gunner Cpl. Gilad Shalit, captured in combat if their demands weren`t met. “Israel”, however, rejected the ultimatum and insisted it would not negotiate with the militants.

After a 6 a.m. (11 p.m. EDT) deadline passed, a spokesman for the shadowy Army of Islam said the groups holding Shalit "have decided to freeze all contacts and close the files of this soldier."

"We will not give any information that will give the occupation good news or reassurance," said the spokesman, Abu Muthana. But, he added, "We will not kill the soldier, if he is still alive."

The previously unknown Army of Islam was among three groups that took part in the June 25 cross-border raid that killed two “Israeli” soldiers and abducted Shalit, 19. Two other groups, the military wing of the ruling Hamas party and the Hamas-linked Popular Resistance Committees, also claimed responsibility.

Since the abduction, the militants have called on “Israel” to release hundreds of under age prisoners in exchange for information about Shalit. The abductors have given no concrete information about the soldier`s condition, though “Israeli” officials believe he is alive.

“Israeli” Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has rejected any negotiations with the militants, and last week launched a ground invasion in the Gaza Strip aimed at pressuring the Hamas-led Palestinian government to secure the soldier`s release.

http://www.alghaliboun.net/english/_hostages.php?filename=2006070517214667