Options

VP Debates

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
edited September 2008 in A Moving Train
So there is NO question in my mind that the VP debates will be a massacre of sorts. Palin will get absolutely destroyed by Biden.

What I worry about is Biden debating Palin like a man. I'm sorry, I'm by no means sexist but you, I, and the republican strategists all know Biden can NOT come out throwing punches or he will be in trouble.

In many ways, I feel Obama had to bite his lip and censor himself against Clinton for this very reason and I think it will be a bigger issue having a white man criticizing a younger woman.

Biden is a good debater and can be a bit harsh and "to the point" at times but if he does this with Palin, I think he might have some problems.

Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mca47 wrote:
    So there is NO question in my mind that the VP debates will be a massacre of sorts. Palin will get absolutely destroyed by Biden.

What I worry about is Biden debating Palin like a man. I'm sorry, I'm by no means sexist but you, I, and the republican strategists all know Biden can NOT come out throwing punches or he will be in trouble.

In many ways, I feel Obama had to bite his lip and censor himself against Clinton for this very reason and I think it will be a bigger issue having a white man criticizing a younger woman.

Biden is a good debater and can be a bit harsh and "to the point" at times but if he does this with Palin, I think he might have some problems.

Any thoughts?

Then again, she certainly is setting a tone for herself as "look at me, I'm a tough girl!"

So maybe that gives him a little more wiggle room. I think it'll depend on how her personality shows itself for the rest of the month.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    mca47 wrote:

She might, but she'll go down swinging. I know in the DNC vetting report that was leaked on the internet yesterday there were several notes in it saying that she has excelled in debates. Now that may be in Alaskan politics, but she did out debate a sitting US senator to get to be the nominee for Gov in 2006.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    SiDSiD Posts: 76
    I think Biden should not pull any punches because I think this girl will be able to hold her own, and attack just as well. Biden will be best served to be himself, and completely disregard that he's debating a woman. She could kill him otherwise. The Dem's should not underestimate Palin.
  • Options
    SiD wrote:
    I think Biden should not pull any punches because I think this girl will be able to hold her own, and attack just as well. Biden will be best served to be himself, and completely disregard that he's debating a woman. She could kill him otherwise. The Dem's should not underestimate Palin.

You see, I agree and disagree.

I agree that Biden SHOULD not hold back any punches, but I disagree in that if the average American (especially women) see Biden getting all fired and riled up (like he's known to do) and "saying it how it is"...they may feel offended of feel for Palin as a woman.

I don't know. I just have a feeling that it could be bad if Biden is the Biden of the past against Palin.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I agree that Biden SHOULD not hold back any punches, but I disagree in that if the average American (especially women) see Biden getting all fired and riled up (like he's known to do) and "saying it how it is"...they may feel offended of feel for Palin as a woman.

I don't know. I just have a feeling that it could be bad if Biden is the Biden of the past against Palin.
    just got done watching her speech at the RNC.the dems got real problems.
  • Options
    gvn2fly74 wrote:

I hope you're joking?
    (I'll assume you're not)

Because she can read from a card, makes her by no means a good debater.
  • Options
    gvn2fly74 wrote:

Why is that? What exactly did she say?

And were you already a supporter of the republican party and/or mccain before her speech?
  • Options
    Joe Biden is blunt. That's the way he is. Doesn't matter if you're Sarah Palin or God himself. He won't "hold back" because she's a woman, much less a younger woman. He's going to come out swinging and he's going to trash her.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    mca47 wrote:
    I hope you're joking?
    (I'll assume you're not)

Because she can read from a card, makes her by no means a good debater.

Indeed, same with Obama. Infact I think Obama is one of the worst debaters in american politics. perhaps not that bad, but he's not as good as he is while reading from the prompter.
  • Options
    saveuplifesaveuplife Posts: 1,173
    mca47 wrote:

Any thoughts?

Biden is a hot-head. He is going to lose the debates with Palin. She has the ability to put people in their place while smiling. He seems like a giant douche when he attacks people and their records.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

Any thoughts?

i think joe should be joe, and kick her ass. if women want to be viewed as the equals they are, they need to take it like a man would, or get out of the fight. she's running for vice president of the united states, not of the p.t.a.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    I didn't think it was possible for a man to win a debate with a woman. ;-)
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    know1 wrote:
    touche. :D
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    know1 wrote:

That was great. :)
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Biden just needs to drill into his head, again and again and again, not be be snarky or condescending in his debate. I heard nothing about policy discussion in Palin's speech last night; maybe she has that kind of expertise and debating skills, to debate policy, but we didn't see it last night. If Biden can step back, tastefully display his expertise and let Gov. Palin get bogged down in incompetence (I'm hypothesizing here; she may be the best debater since sliced bread with a brain five times the size of Biden); but if Biden can do that, the debate will probably be his to lose.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

as a woman, i hope the debates go as they would at any other time...regardless of gender. i do not think he should 'go easy'...he should be himself, just as she should be herself...and let the best candidate win. period.

i think it's utterly ridiculous, male or female...for one to feel 'offended' for a candidate, feel sorry for them, being bullied, whatever. this is OUR future government...fuck hurt feelings and focus on the ISSUES. i could not care less if palin went back home to alaska bawling. i just HOPE she does get sent packing back to alaska b/c i do NOT want to see her as VP, nor mccain as president.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I think a lot depends on the moderator(s) too, whoever that is. If Palin gets a free pass on questions where it's obvious that she cannot fully answer, then she has a chance.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln