Options

Curve Ball

prismprism Posts: 2,440
edited November 2007 in A Moving Train
did anyone else see 60 minutes last night? they did a story about the intelligence source code-named Cureball that the US used to justify the invasion of Iraq. this guy was/is a complete wack job and George Tenet bought his bullshit story and ran with it as fact. it is just disgusting that they took the unsubstantiated words of this guy to claim that Iraq was building up biological weapons and WMDs

watch the video http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/01/60minutes/main3440577.shtml
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
angels share laughter
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    somewhat old news ... really ... at this point - it's just a matter of not falling for it again ... the peaceniks all pointed out the intelligence was faulty right from the get-go but it didn't prevent the travesty that is bush from doing what he's doing ...

so, to go back now and try and blame it on this or that is not worth a can of expired beans ...
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    somewhat old news ... really ... at this point - it's just a matter of not falling for it again ... the peaceniks all pointed out the intelligence was faulty right from the get-go but it didn't prevent the travesty that is bush from doing what he's doing ...

so, to go back now and try and blame it on this or that is not worth a can of expired beans ...

right, but it's still interesting how they took something so obviously flawed and tried to sell it. look at how many people bought into it. myself and alot of people i know never believed any of the lies for a second

there were many bogus reasons that US tried to excuse this war, this is but one. and you're right it doesn't change anything about the clusterfuck the US has turned this war into to blame it on any one thing or another. but for the people that said "Oh lookie, the US had solid reasons for invading Iraq" they can maybe start to question that kind of illogical view that lead them to ever support this war
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    I talked about Curveball ad infinitum on the MT about 18 months ago. Very few people cared. What's really surprising is that German intellligence told Powell and the U.S. about Curveball many times, and before Powell's address to the UN, and the U.S./Powell still ignored those warnings. In fact, Powell was hunkered down the night before the speech, doing finishing touches, when he got a call telling him that much of his info was wrong and that he shouldn't use it in his speech - he ignored those warnings and proceeded anyways...

This is really old news.
  • Options
    I talked about Curveball ad infinitum on the MT about 18 months ago. Very few people cared. What's really surprising is that German intellligence told Powell and the U.S. about Curveball many times, and before Powell's address to the UN, and the U.S./Powell still ignored those warnings. In fact, Powell was hunkered down the night before the speech, doing finishing touches, when he got a call telling him that much of his info was wrong and that he shouldn't use it in his speech - he ignored those warnings and proceeded anyways...

This is really old news.

you didn't watch the video did you? yes, it's old news in that the US relied on his faulty intelligence but when you look at just how incredibly unreliable Curveball was as a source to run with his b.s. as facts to justify invading a country, it's sickening. my cat can give more reliable intelligence than this.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Curve is appropriately name in that a curve ball is mainly thrown to fool someone trying to hit.

I just hope this administration doesn't try to fall for any info that's comes in and pushes on the public to create another athmosphere of attack against IRAN.

Just hope the American citizenry is foolish enough to buy into again.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    prism wrote:
    you didn't watch the video did you? yes, it's old news in that the US relied on his faulty intelligence but when you look at just how incredibly unreliable Curveball was as a source to run with his b.s. as facts to justify invading a country, it's sickening. my cat can give more reliable intelligence than this.

You're right, I didn't.....I don't have audio capabilities on my computer. But I think you're missing the point here. What's more astounding to me is what the Americans did with that evidence, as misguided and incorrect as it was. See, Chalabi's cousin was a drunken piece of shit with ulterior motives - whats so remarkable about that ???? To me, the more noteworthy thing is what Powell and the U.S. did with the evidence. Again and again they were warned about him, and not just from the Germans. On top of this, Powell flat out lied when he stated at the UN that evidence from Curveball was corroborated by others. It wasn't. Powell knew this and just fucking lied his face off. So to me, Curveball was just some opportunistic lying fuck....its the U.S. and Powell who have much more explaining to do.

This is a great article. You should read this, especially the part about David Kay, Bush's man in Iraq who was there looking for WMD:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5958.htm

"But Kay, who sought to confirm Curveball's claims in Iraq after the end of major combat, said Powell's account was "disingenuous."

Kay added: "If Powell had said to the Security Council: 'It's one source, we never actually talked to him, and we don't know his name,' as he's describing this, I think people would have laughed us out of court."

Powell assured U.N. diplomats that two other Iraqi sources, who he said were "in a position to know," had corroborated the "eyewitness account." The CIA later said those reports arrived in December 2000 and mid-2002.

Kay said the debriefing files on the pair showed that they never had direct contact with the biowarfare trucks. "None of them claimed to have seen them," he said. "They said they were aware of the mobile program. They had heard there was a mobile program."
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    prism wrote:
    right, but it's still interesting how they took something so obviously flawed and tried to sell it. look at how many people bought into it. myself and alot of people i know never believed any of the lies for a second

there were many bogus reasons that US tried to excuse this war, this is but one. and you're right it doesn't change anything about the clusterfuck the US has turned this war into to blame it on any one thing or another. but for the people that said "Oh lookie, the US had solid reasons for invading Iraq" they can maybe start to question that kind of illogical view that lead them to ever support this war

yeah ... i just think these articles are meant to divert people as to what really happened ... trying to blame it on some dissident and believing his lies is an insult to all that have suffered ...

the reality is this was a manufactured war and nothing else.