Options

Will Bush be trialed for War Crimes when leaving office?

macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
edited November 2006 in A Moving Train
as the leader of an administration of a soverign nation, he tried to assasinate another administrations leader of a soverign nation.

= War Crime...

will this be a shock if he is put on trial?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    macgyver06 wrote:
    as the leader of an administration of a soverign nation, he tried to assasinate another administrations leader of a soverign nation.

= War Crime...

It wouldn't be a shock, but I doubt it would happen, sadly.
  • Options
    truroutetruroute Posts: 251
    macgyver06 wrote:

= War Crime...

yes, He'll goto trial and be convicted, and spend life in prison. (no death penalty 'cause its been outlawed)

soon afterwards, nations w/ nuclear weapons will pile thier nukes on rocket ships and send them to them towards the sun, because nukes are bad.

then people will stop driving becaues it pollutes. Huffy's stock will skyrocket, but no one will make a dime because no one cares about money anymore. Greed is bad.

Marijuana will be legal.

Auto insurance premiums will not be raised when you have an accident.

Speeding tickets will not cause insurance to rise.

Abortion protestors will come to the realization that if they dont want an abortion, they dont have to have one. And quit pestering people that want to fix a mistake/problem.

China will then procede to leave Taiwan alone and they will be soveriegn (sp), along w/ Tibet. The Dali Lama returns home.

The Enron exec that "died" will be found alive, stripped of his billions, and forced to live on gov't cheese and drive a Ford. Said billions will be distributed to the people that he fucked over.
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    truroute wrote:
    yes, He'll goto trial and be convicted, and spend life in prison. (no death penalty 'cause its been outlawed)

soon afterwards, nations w/ nuclear weapons will pile thier nukes on rocket ships and send them to them towards the sun, because nukes are bad.

then people will stop driving becaues it pollutes. Huffy's stock will skyrocket, but no one will make a dime because no one cares about money anymore. Greed is bad.

Marijuana will be legal.

Auto insurance premiums will not be raised when you have an accident.

Speeding tickets will not cause insurance to rise.

Abortion protestors will come to the realization that if they dont want an abortion, they dont have to have one. And quit pestering people that want to fix a mistake/problem.

China will then procede to leave Taiwan alone and they will be soveriegn (sp), along w/ Tibet. The Dali Lama returns home.

The Enron exec that "died" will be found alive, stripped of his billions, and forced to live on gov't cheese and drive a Ford. Said billions will be distributed to the people that he fucked over.

YOU HAD THE SAME DREAM!
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    that was funny tru.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    truroute wrote:

Marijuana will be legal.

sweet
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Why does everyone keep referring to Iraq as a "sovereign nation"???
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    not a chance in hell.
  • Options
    qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
    Why does everyone keep referring to Iraq as a "sovereign nation"???
    What was it then?

It was a nation, not a colony... that's what sovereign means. Or do you have a problem with the "nation" part?
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Collin wrote:
    sweet
    That's funny because that was all I saw also. :o
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    What was it then?

A prison.
    It was a nation, not a colony... that's what sovereign means. Or do you have a problem with the "nation" part?

I have a problem with the "sovereign" part, particularly in the context of the actions of the United States. The "sovereignty" of the Iraqi regime was based only on the weight of the fear they could induce and the physical harm they could inflict upon the Iraqi population. So I don't see how anyone could then pretend that the United States was somehow guilty of something the Iraqi regime was not.
  • Options
    RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,831
    A prison.

I have a problem with the "sovereign" part, particularly in the context of the actions of the United States. The "sovereignty" of the Iraqi regime was based only on the weight of the fear they could induce and the physical harm they could inflict upon the Iraqi population. So I don't see how anyone could then pretend that the United States was somehow guilty of something the Iraqi regime was not.
    One side being guilty doesn't prove the other side innocent, far; and sovereignty doesn't rely solely on the will of the governed. Otherwise, you've pretty much destroyed the entire notion of sovereignty - i.e. seperate nations. It sounds great and all, and I'd really love to live in that world, but that's really the type of thing best left to the utopians.

But, in keeping with the thread, I'll say that no, W will not be charged with war crimes. The argument is too weak to be leveled against a First World leader.
  • Options
    macgyver06 wrote:

= War Crime...

well, some people here believe that international law means nothing. by their observation, it will not matter.

i feel that he will be put on trial...i do not believe that he will be convicted.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    One side being guilty doesn't prove the other side innocent, far; and sovereignty doesn't rely solely on the will of the governed. Otherwise, you've pretty much destroyed the entire notion of sovereignty - i.e. seperate nations. It sounds great and all, and I'd really love to live in that world, but that's really the type of thing best left to the utopians.

See, here's the thing. Your idea of sovereignty (i.e. without will) destroys the entire notion of seperate people.

The Iraq War is a crime because it attacks sovereign individuals who are guilty of nothing, not because it attacks a "sovereign nation" that is guilty of nearly everything. Does this make George Bush a criminal? Perhaps. But if he is, so are you and so am I.
    But, in keeping with the thread, I'll say that no, W will not be charged with war crimes. The argument is too weak to be leveled against a First World leader.

Agreed. Particularly when those to level it had no interest in leveling such charges against Saddam Hussein.
  • Options
    See, here's the thing. Your idea of sovereignty (i.e. without will) destroys the entire notion of seperate people.

The Iraq War is a crime because it attacks sovereign individuals who are guilty of nothing, not because it attacks a "sovereign nation" that is guilty of nearly everything. Does this make George Bush a criminal? Perhaps. But if he is, so are you and so am I.

Agreed. Particularly when those to level it had no interest in leveling such charges against Saddam Hussein.

the notion that bush would be guilty of this is that he is the "hand" the put this into action. you cannot chase after the populus that elected him. it goes against equity. how was the electorate to know that this is what he would do?

how are you defining "nation"? are you defining it as the governmental face of the people?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    well, some people here believe that international law means nothing. by their observation, it will not matter.

i feel that he will be put on trial...i do not believe that he will be convicted.

who will put him on trial?
  • Options
    Now, you went and reversed some words.

Ah, well. I never said my idea of sovereignty is rule without will.
    I never made any of these decisions.
    Because they didn't want to attack a sovereign nation. Now that he's out, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone outside of Iraq that doesn't think he should be punished.
  • Options
    the notion that bush would be guilty of this is that he is the "hand" the put this into action.

Any you and I wouldn't be guilty of giving him the power to do so? And sanctioning it? And paying for it? Sorry, that's kind of silly.
    you cannot chase after the populus that elected him.

Of course you can.
    it goes against equity.

:rolleyes:
    how was the electorate to know that this is what he would do?

Hehe.....isn't that the whole idea of your "democracy"?
    how are you defining "nation"?

A collection of people holding a common will and geography. The geography part is negotiable.
    are you defining it as the governmental face of the people?

No. That would be the definition of "government".
  • Options
    The way I see it, the only way Bush would be "tried" for anything is if there are impeachment hearings. In which case, they'll probably bring upt things like the fake intelligence that led the US to war... and maybe other things. But he'll never be tried for war crimes in the US of in international court.

**I don't think there is a single person or group of persons brave enough to bring criminal charges against him in the US. By the same token, I don't thing there is a single nation out there brave enough to that the US empire on either**

If he makes it the next two years without any serious inquiry into his actions, he'll get away with everything scott free.
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    If he makes it the next two years without any serious inquiry into his actions, he'll get away with everything scott free.

what is "everything"?
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    Now, you went and reversed some words.

The original was misquoting you.
    Ah, well. I never said my idea of sovereignty is rule without will.

You said that sovereignty relies on something other or in addition to the will of the governed. What else is there?
    I never made any of these decisions.

You made the decision to pay for it. And chances are the people you designated as your representatives made the decision for you.
    Because they didn't want to attack a sovereign nation.

That wouldn't have been necessary to hold Saddam Hussein to account.
    Now that he's out, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone outside of Iraq that doesn't think he should be punished.

Sure. That's fair. However, I doubt many of these people would have been as interested in punishing Saddam Hussein as they would be George Bush.
  • Options
    what is "everything"?

Starting a war of aggression, illegal wiretapping, torturing people (before it became "legal"), extraordinary rendition, holding prisoners indefinetely, not executing laws passed by congress by means of signing statements.

That's just a few, I'm sure there are more.
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    **I don't think there is a single person or group of persons brave enough to bring criminal charges against him in the US.

Convicting one man of the crimes of millions is not bravery. It is one of the lowest forms of cowardice.
  • Options
    Convicting one man of the crimes of millions is not bravery. It is one of the lowest forms of cowardice.
    I don't understand what you're saying. Who are the millions who commited what crimes?

We're talking specifically about Bush and his crimes.
  • Options

You said that sovereignty relies on something other or in addition to the will of the governed. What else is there?
    I said that sovereignty doesn't rely solely on the will of the governed - just as a car isn't kept running solely by gasoline.
    You made the decision to pay for it. And chances are the people you designated as your representatives made the decision for you.
    I don't feel I can be held totally responsible for the actions of people I didn't even vote for.

That wouldn't have been necessary to hold Saddam Hussein to account.
    Of course not. But, in order to bring him before a court - or somesuch - it would have been necessary. Otherwise, you have words and sanctions. There were plenty of leaders in the world who liked the idea of words and sanctions. There's also a viable argument to be made that said words and sanctions would have worked in the long term without war.
    Sure. That's fair. However, I doubt many of these people would have been as interested in punishing Saddam Hussein as they would be George Bush.
    A "What-If." There's no real way of determining that one way or the other.
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    I don't understand what you're saying. Who are the millions who commited what crimes?

We paid for "his" war. The representatives we cede our power to sanctioned it. Everyday, the vast majority of you defend the systems that make it possible.
    We're talking specifically about Bush and his crimes.

I know you are. That's why you'll never solve the problems that extend from them.

George Bush is a criminal only by a standard of participation. He participated in these events, and he participated in them in a big way. But if the events themselves were a crime, every single participant is guilty.
  • Options
    So, except when it comes to your own money, you're a collectivist?
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    I said that sovereignty doesn't rely solely on the will of the governed - just as a car isn't kept running solely by gasoline.

Ok. As I said, what else is there in the context of sovereignty?
    I don't feel I can be held totally responsible for the actions of people I didn't even vote for.

I completely agree with you, but do you agree with you? It seems like everyday I hear you telling me or others why I'm responsible for people I didn't vote for, didn't make poor, didn't make homeless.
    Of course not. But, in order to bring him before a court - or somesuch - it would have been necessary. Otherwise, you have words and sanctions. There were plenty of leaders in the world who liked the idea of words and sanctions. There's also a viable argument to be made that said words and sanctions would have worked in the long term without war.

There's a much more viable argument that neither sanctions nor war would have worked, depending on the standards you're discussing. But I think the fact remains that Saddam Hussein could have been captured without a massive invasion and occupation of Iraq.
    A "What-If." There's no real way of determining that one way or the other.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    RainDog wrote:
    So, except when it comes to your own money, you're a collectivist?

Not at all. A collectivist may hold one man guilty for the crimes of the masses. An individualist judges all men for what they are as singular entities.
  • Options
    George Bush is a criminal only by a standard of participation. He participated in these events, and he participated in them in a big way. But if the events themselves were a crime, every single participant is guilty.

I can agree with you on that. But at the same time... wasn't the electorate deceived by him? I think it's more like Bush and his cabinet being guilty of the murder and the people being guilty of negligent homicide. I mean negligent because the information about the deceptions of the adminstration was out there, people just didn't bother to look.

And, of course, the media being guilty of accessory to murder.
  • Options
    qtegirl wrote:
    I can agree with you on that. But at the same time... wasn't the electorate deceived by him?

Not really, no. The electorate largely supported this war before the so-called deception. Furthermore, it's much more likely that George Bush was deceived, rather than the one deceiving.
    I think it's more like Bush and his cabinet being guilty of the murder and the people being guilty of negligent homicide.

There's a little problem with that -- George Bush, to my knowledge, hasn't killed anyone. Not a single Iraqi has died by his hands.
    I mean negligent because the information about the deceptions of the adminstration was out there, people just didn't bother to look.

Very true.
    And, of course, the media being guilty of accessory to murder.

Ok.