Options

B.C. man building school killed in Afghanistan

AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
A Vancouver carpenter has been killed in northern Afghanistan, where he had been completing construction of a school he had been working on for the past four years.

Mike Frastacky, 56, was shot to death on Sunday in a home he was staying at in the town of Nahrin.

Mike Frastacky had been building a school in Nahrin in northern Afghanistan.
(CBC)
His sister, Luba Frastacky of Toronto, told CBC Radio on Tuesday that Canadian Foreign Affairs officials said her brother was shot three times in the head.

She said he knew it was particularly dangerous in northern Afghanistan this summer, and that there was talk of a $10,000 bounty being offered for the death of a Westerner.

She said her brother, who had been there since mid-June, had planned to cut this year's visit short because of the danger.

Frastacky also said the Vancouver carpenter was doing what he wanted to do by building and equipping the school.

"It was his sort of mission, I think. He found a need and he filled it by giving education to all the young people in the area."

Frastacky said her brother had discovered the community while trekking in the mountains where he met a guide whose family owned property in Nahrin.

He paid for the project with his own money and by collecting small donations from friends and family.

Nearly 600 students now attend the school.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2006/07/25/bc-carpenter.html

That's sick, and someone will probably bomb the f-ing school too.
I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    That's a real shame and I bet you are right that someone will bomb the school.
    The less you know, the more you believe.