Options

Obama's cabinet?

blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
edited November 2008 in A Moving Train
With the election over, this will give us something else to guess about.

Rumor is that Rahm Emanuel will be asked/named Chief of Staff, but here are my thoughts on some key positions:

Secretary of State: Bill Richardson would make a good choice I think
Secretary of the Treasury: No idea... Larry Summers is being rumored about
Secretary of Defense: I'm thinking that Gates may be asked to stay on at least for a while. If not, someone like Chuck Hagel maybe or Colin Powell could keep the fear down on the crazy right about Obama destroying the military.
Attorney General: No idea... I would say John Edwards, but I'm not sure how far his popularity has fallen.
Secretary of Energy: Arnold? Richardson? Brian Schweitzer?
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: John McCain maybe... or Max Cleland
Secretary of Homeland Security: Lee Hamilton?
My whole life
was like a picture
of a sunny day
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
― Abraham Lincoln
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    Couple rumors I've heard:

Interior: Kathleen Sebelius (democratic governor of Kansas). I'd actually love to see RFK Jr. for Interior. Just to have someone to undo the damage Bush has done.

Agriculture: Tom Harkin (democrat from Iowa). I'd like to see Obama take a bipartisan spin with ag and appoint a Republican. Maybe Pat Roberts of Kansas.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    Attorney General: No idea... I would say John Edwards, but I'm not sure how far his popularity has fallen.

Absolutely no way in hell this is happening. Not for AG, anyway. I've heard Janet Napolitano from Arizona mentioned.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    John Edwards is untouchable right now, no way that is happening.
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    We're beginning to hear rumors, this is a combination of what I've heard and what I'd want...

Chief of Staff: Rahm Emmanuel. Pretty sure this is a lock.
    Secretary of State: Richardson would be a good choice, but I think Chuck Hagel would be even better,
    Secretary of Defense: I'm hoping for Hagel or Dick Lugar in this position.
    National Security Adviser: Samantha Power. I really want her involved in this cabinet.
    Attorney General: I've also heard Janet Napolitano, and also Tim Kaine.
    Secretary of Veterans' Affairs: Jim Webb, maybe? Not too sure. Would be a trip if he offered it to McCain.
    Secretary of Homeland Security: I've heard William Bratton's name thrown around.
    Secretary of Energy: Ah-nuld.
    Secretary of Treasury: I've heard Larry Summers' name thrown around who was treasury secretary under Clinton.
    Climate Change "czar": Al Gore
    Israel/Palestine "czar": Colin Powell

I think Obama has a great opportunity to put some meat on his bi-partisan message when he announces his cabinet. I'd like to see something more than the typical plate full of Democrats with one token Republican (or vice versa). I'd love to see a cabinet substantially stacked with both Democrats and (albeit moderate) Republicans.
  • Options
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15320.html

Interesting story, including talk of Robert Kennedy, Jr. for head of the EPA, and possibly Gen. Colin Powell for secretary of defense or education (huh?). Also, they're considering approaching Caroline Kennedy for the role of U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations.
  • Options
    godpt3 wrote:
    Absolutely no way in hell this is happening. Not for AG, anyway. I've heard Janet Napolitano from Arizona mentioned.

I was unimpressed when I lived in Az., but time will tell. I think some picks will suprise us. I hope to see him go to the center.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_el_pr/obama

wow, i dont know what your def of change is but this isnt it
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:

Well, we'll be hearing THAT one for the next four years.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    digster wrote:
    Well, we'll be hearing THAT one for the next four years.

why wouldnt you? he built his whole presidency off that one stupid word

its the same recycled poltiticans, thats not change, not a bitter slogan, just a fact

how do you think some Bush supporters felt for the last 8 with all the criticism that was given? get used to people calling out your guy because he will crumble under all his speeches and words and show what he really is
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    pjalive21 wrote:

its the same recycled poltiticans, thats not change, not a bitter slogan, just a fact

how do you think some Bush supporters felt for the last 8 with all the criticism that was given? get used to people calling out your guy because he will crumble under all his speeches and words and show what he really is

Don't worry. All he has to do is make another mesmerizing speech and all will be forgotten.
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:

There's no doubt you're going to think that, and are going to keep thinking that. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the American people are intelligent enough to make a differentiation between "change" being a new approach to the hyper-partisanship of D.C. politics and staffing his entire White House with Danny from McDonalds who've never heard of politics before. Apparently, you don't make that assumption. Ah well, your loss. It'll earn you much more frustration in the years to come, I'm sure.
  • Options
    to many senator's mentioned for cabinet positions, I would leave Dem senators alone unless they have a dem governor.

some nice choices though. I agree no republican for ag.
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    I agree no republican for ag.

One way or another, ag can't be a political favor appointee. W's first ag secretary was actually his finance chairman from california and ended up being a complete disaster. I'd like to see Pat Roberts (R-KS), because he knows ag policy like the back of his hand and because it then opens up interesting possibilities for his senate seat. Due to his age, I can almost guarantee he won't run again in 6 years. If he were to accept ag sec now, our current DEMOCRAT governor would appoint someone (I think that's how it works.).

A left-field (or, in this case right field) choice is someone most of you guys have never heard of. Dr. Barry Flinchbaugh, professor of agricultural economics at Kansas State University.
    http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/news/sty/2004/flinchbaugh_retires.htm.

Above all else, we need someone who's qualified and who'll do what's best for America's farmers.
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    digster wrote:
    Robert Kennedy, Jr. for head of the EPA

Oh, man! I know a lot of people who would have KITTENS over this one. I like it. :)
    —Dorothy Parker

• Options
    Not a cabinet position, but it looks like Robert Gibbs is getting the press secretary job.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15364.html

I like Gibbs, and one good thing for press/public is that Gibbs has a long background with Obama and has absolute access, so he can't pretend to not recall or know things that we all are sure that he does.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Some other rumors...

The two strongest rumors I've heard are regarding Secretary of Defense; apparently, Obama is considering Colin Powell for the position, and may also consider keeping Robert Gates, the current Secretary, on with the new administration. Other rumors include Kerry for Sec. of State, Ed Rendell or Arnold for Energy, and Joe Klein, head of the Board of Ed in NYC, for Secretary of Education.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    digster wrote:
    Some other rumors...

The two strongest rumors I've heard are regarding Secretary of Defense; apparently, Obama is considering Colin Powell for the position, and may also consider keeping Robert Gates, the current Secretary, on with the new administration. Other rumors include Kerry for Sec. of State, Ed Rendell or Arnold for Energy, and Joe Klein, head of the Board of Ed in NYC, for Secretary of Education.

Joe Klein would be a great choice for Sec of Education. I would keep Gates as Sec of Defense and ask Powell to be National Security Advisor.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Some other rumors...

Keeping Gates makes sense for sec of defense. He seems very level headed and not ideological, and stability would be a good thing.

Ed Rendell for energy? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I would like to see Bill Richardson someone in the cabinet, either state or energy.

Joel Klein makes sense... NYC is the countries largest school district, and he has seemed to improve that under Bloomberg pretty well.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Joe Klein would be a great choice for Sec of Education. I would keep Gates as Sec of Defense and ask Powell to be National Security Advisor.

Personally, I want Samantha Power as National Security Advisor. If I had my druthers, I'd make her Sec. of Defense, but I think that would be a hard sell to the American people (her background is in journalism and analysis, not military). I'm ambivalent about Klein; living in NYC, I've had firsthand knowledge of both the good and the bad that he's done, which I suppose makes it hard to have an objective viewpoint of him.

I think keeping Gates might be a good idea, although I don't always agree with him and it's not hard to be wary of someone associated with the Bush administration (Powell included). But I'll get over that, as I've said before, I hope and expect Obama to put more than the one token Republican on his cabinet. Maybe Powell as Secretary of State, Gates at Defense and my pick Power as National Security Advisor.
  • Options
    digster wrote:
    Personally, I want Samantha Power as National Security Advisor. If I had my druthers, I'd make her Sec. of Defense, but I think that would be a hard sell to the American people (her background is in journalism and analysis, not military). I'm ambivalent about Klein; living in NYC, I've had firsthand knowledge of both the good and the bad that he's done, which I suppose makes it hard to have an objective viewpoint of him.

I think keeping Gates might be a good idea, although I don't always agree with him and it's not hard to be wary of someone associated with the Bush administration (Powell included). But I'll get over that, as I've said before, I hope and expect Obama to put more than the one token Republican on his cabinet. Maybe Powell as Secretary of State, Gates at Defense and my pick Power as National Security Advisor.

Chuck Hagel and Dick Lugar's names have been floated as well as possible candidates for a position in his administration.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I just hope Corzine from NJ is not named secretary of the treasury.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    I just hope Corzine from NJ is not named secretary of the treasury.

I heard that rumor too but I highly doubt it.
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    pjalive21 wrote:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_el_pr/obama

tell us, who should he have picked...?

who would have made you happy...?
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Not a cabinet position, but it looks like Robert Gibbs is getting the press secretary job.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15364.html

I like Gibbs, and one good thing for press/public is that Gibbs has a long background with Obama and has absolute access, so he can't pretend to not recall or know things that we all are sure that he does.

All I know is Gibbs gave Hannity a heart attack recently, asking Hannity if he were were an Anti Semite...

hilarious...!
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    Gibbs is the guy who said the accusations of Obama being a muslim were "malicious".
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    inmytree wrote:
    All I know is Gibbs gave Hannity a heart attack recently, asking Hannity if he were were an Anti Semite...

hilarious...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgn6rjGbp0c
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    Chuck Hagel and Dick Lugar's names have been floated as well as possible candidates for a position in his administration.

Yeah, I'd like either of the two. Chuck Hagel I'm pretty sure wants out of Congress, and might jump ship to work for Obama.
  • Options
    Another non-cabinet position, but we're learning more about his staff. We already knew Emmanuel was Chief of Staff, Gibbs is Press Secretary, and it now looks like David Axelrod will be making the trip to the White House with Obama as a Senior Adviser.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2008/11/axelrod-emanuel.html?xid=rss-page
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    digster wrote:
    Yeah, I'd like either of the two. Chuck Hagel I'm pretty sure wants out of Congress, and might jump ship to work for Obama.

I'm 100% positive Chuck Hagel doesn't want to be in Congress anymore.
  • Options
    floyd1975 wrote:
    I'm 100% positive Chuck Hagel doesn't want to be in Congress anymore.

Because he's retiring from the Senate, isn't he.

Yeah, it's one of those days.

Well, at least that means he's free, then.