Rumour has it ...

rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
edited November 2008 in A Moving Train
This Obama fella is black?!!!
;)

On a more serious note, does any media outlet have anything more interesting to comment on than the man's race?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if that is all you got out of all the coverage out there, i would say that is your loss and not a lack of more important information being discussed. either way, it IS historic...but sure, certainly not the focus.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• This Obama fella is black?!!!
    ;)

On a more serious note, does any media outlet have anything more interesting to comment on than the man's race?

Well he just made history by being the First Black President elected in the United States, so I expected then to make it a HUGE deal because it is in fact a HUGE deal.
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    if that is all you got out of all the coverage out there, i would say that is your loss and not a lack of more important information being discussed. either way, it IS historic...but sure, certainly not the focus.

I am not a stupid person, so let's not pretend this is all about my perceptions. Admittedly, I am Canadian, and maybe race is all people up here can focus on ...
  • McJuicyMcJuicy Posts: 747
    umm...wait, there's a black guy running for president?
    buf dtw buf sce yyz tol grr yhm yyz pit yyz yyz pit bna cae aus lax lax san phl phl cle buf mke mke atl pit buf clt san lax lax gsp cae bna sea sea
    Well he just made history by being the First Black President elected in the United States, so I expected then to make it a HUGE deal because it is in fact a HUGE deal.

Its a huge deal, but its not the biggest issue at stake here, IMO.
  • I am not a stupid person, so let's not pretend this is all about my perceptions. Admittedly, I am Canadian, and maybe race is all people up here can focus on ...

never suggested you were. point is, while his race is historic, there Is so much more being covered, discussed....and even without the 'race issue'....it still would be an amazing, swift win! seriously. given the past 2 presidential elections, there was NO contest, no debate....he won, clearly....and he won BIG. his platform of change and desires for this country FAr more important than the color of his skin, and that is being discussed JUST as much as him being the first african american president of the US. i watched at least 4 hours of coverage last night and the discussion was far more about what each candidate stood for, what they wanted to do, how they ran their campaigns, who was voting for them and why...than merely about obama's race. that's all....
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• actually he is mulatto.
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    ;)

Half-breed is really what he is. But the American public seems to think that by putting a race to him that it is a much better story to tell. Just another observation from this side of the border.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    It is getting a little more attention than it probably needs to. And he's just as "white" as he is "black".

Maybe the race thing isn't as big of an issue to me as it is to the next guy. I think the media makes a bigger issue out of it than anything. Don't get me wrong, this election is "historic" and a great thing for this country. I didn't vote for Obama but it sure as hell was NOT based on the color of his skin or where he comes from.

But god damn....can we just move on now. Not just with this election but with the race issues in general. It's almost 2009.......there have been different races on this planet from the get go.....there has been some nasty nasty embarrassing stupid fucked up shit in the world's history regarding race......BUT CAN'T WE ALL JUST FINALLY GET ALONG NOW AND STOP JUDGING A MAN [or woman] BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN?!?!?

It's so fucking stupid and ignorant.

That being said, I am being optimistic about the next four years. I hope he can deliever on some big prominses. It's not going to be easy.
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • even flow? wrote:
    Half-breed is really what he is. But the American public seems to think that by putting a race to him that it is a much better story to tell. Just another observation from this side of the border.

actually, untrue.
    sure, he is referred to as an african american, but we are ALL well-aware that he is technically mulatto, and quite honestly...if discussing race and race only...i actually think it's even 'better' for lack of a better term, that he is mixed race, b/c i think that in and of itself is a symbol of america's changing face...we ARE mixing, and race should become a non-issue. whatever. if many want to think that we as a country are only focused on his race, believe wht you will...but it is far, far from the truth.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Its a huge deal, but its not the biggest issue at stake here, IMO.

I dont know how things are being reported in Canada but here they are reporting on everything, what's going to happen with the market, when should we expect for him to start picking his officials, and of course the fact that he is the First Black President has made headlines,I dont think its being taken as an issue but as a Historic Day, and to be honest with you I am enjoying this day in History.
  • It is getting a little more attention than it probably needs to. And he's just as "white" as he is "black".

Maybe the race thing isn't as big of an issue to me as it is to the next guy. I think the media makes a bigger issue out of it than anything. Don't get me wrong, this election is "historic" and a great thing for this country. I didn't vote for Obama but it sure as hell was NOT based on the color of his skin or where he comes from.

But god damn....can we just move on now. Not just with this election but with the race issues in general. It's almost 2009.......there have been different races on this planet from the get go.....there has been some nasty nasty embarrassing stupid fucked up shit in the world's history regarding race......BUT CAN'T WE ALL JUST FINALLY GET ALONG NOW AND STOP JUDGING A MAN [or woman] BY THE COLOR OF THEIR SKIN?!?!?

It's so fucking stupid and ignorant.

That being said, I am being optimistic about the next four years. I hope he can deliever on some big prominses. It's not going to be easy.

No one is judging anything. I'm baffled by the lack of ability of some of you to recognize that this is a Hictoric Day...(without playing it down with "..") it wasn't just another elction, this means a great deal and it says a lot about how far the US has gone from the days of slavery and the days when black people were not able to vote.
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    ;)

maybe this will explain it:

Nov 5, 11:02 AM EST

Obama's victory met with tears and traffic jams

By SHARON COHEN
    AP National Writer

Crowds danced in the streets, wept, lifted their voices in prayer and brought traffic to a standstill. From the nation's capital to Atlanta to Los Angeles, Americans celebrated Barack Obama's victory and marveled that they lived to see the day that a black man was elected president.

Jubilation stretched into the early morning Wednesday in Washington, D.C., and a large crowd paraded on Pennsylvania Avenue with drums, balloons and a life-size cutout of Obama.

By 4 a.m., a few young revelers lingered among the reviewing stands being built for January's presidential inauguration.

"I heard that he won and I instinctively came here," said Hollis Gentry, 45, who lives about six blocks away. "I came down here to make a prayer... that we'll be able to change the nation and the world."

In New York City's Harlem neighborhood, Thomasina Wright started Wednesday with a smile. "I'm way happy," she said. "It means that I can tell my seven grandchildren that they have a chance to be president."

Earlier in Detroit, carloads of celebrants rolled past the bronze sculpture of prizefighter Joe Louis' fist, blaring their horns and chanting "Obama!" out of open windows.

"The history, the struggle, it's been a long time," said Cheryl Stephenson, 48. "People are hurting, not just black people. I think we're ready to take a chance.

"We went from `Yes, we can' to `Yes, we did.'"

In Philadelphia, thousands of blacks and whites converged at City Hall shortly after Obama was declared the winner. Under a light rain, they danced to the music blaring from car radios. Drivers stopped in the middle of the street, opened their car doors and broadcast Obama's acceptance speech.

"Barack is in the house!" shouted Pamela Williams, 46. "This is very important to me. Change is about to happen."

At Sadiki's restaurant in Philadelphia, the celebration poured out onto the sidewalk.

"Our parents left this planet thinking that we would never, ever see this day, when an African-American could be elected by all the people to the highest seat in the land," said Bernard Smalley Sr. His wife, Jacquelyn, wept.

The celebrations were both large big and small, but the sentiment was the same - pure joy over how far the country has come. People honked horns, high-fived each other and embraced.

"I was born in the civil rights time. To see this happening is unbelievable. We've got the first black president. A black president!" said Mike Louis, a 53-year-old black man who got teary-eyed as he watched the election results on a giant video board in Cincinnati's Fountain Square. "It's not cured now, but this is a step to curing this country of racism. This is a big, giant step toward getting this country together."

Elsewhere, some Americans were wary, but hopeful. In Iowa, Sam Gipple, 60, said he voted for John McCain because he worries Obama lacks the experience he needs to be an effective leader.

"I'd give him a chance, and hope he keeps some of the good promises he made," said Gipple, the transportation director for Iowa County.

Raymond Stroud, 63, of Little Rock, Ark., considers himself a conservative and supported McCain - barely. He called the Republican "probably the lesser of two evils."

But in Cleveland, Obama supporters were ready to celebrate. Some gathered at a house party and held champagne flutes above their heads for a toast. "To the first African-American president in the history of the United States!" they shouted.

In Chicago, Obama's hometown, an estimated 125,000 people gathered on an unusually warm November night to greet the senator at a delirious victory rally at Grant Park.

"It's fantastic," said Hulon Johnson, 71, a retired Chicago public school principal. "I've always told my kids this was possible; now they'll have to believe me."

LaKeisha Williams, a 27-year-old laid-off school nurse, who watched Obama's victory on a TV in a downtown Kansas City concert hall, said: "People actually have finally come together and realized that no matter what his race is, he was the right person for the job. I think it was destiny for him to win. But now we still have to come together to make sure things work."

In Miami's predominantly black Liberty City neighborhood, Otoria Pitts, 30, suggested the significance of Obama's victory goes beyond race.

"His election speaks volumes for a bunch of people," she said. "Children of single mothers, people who put themselves through college. It says, you can do it, you can do it."

Joined by her sister, Susan, and niece, Akira, the three women bought a few rockets from a fireworks stand and lit up the night sky with color.

On the other side of the country, others were thinking how Obama's election could change their lives.

"I'm ecstatic," said Jason Samm, a 33-year-old business owner who was celebrating in South Los Angeles. "I have three kids, which means a lot of doors opening up for them."

Obama's victory also brought back memories of hard-fought battles of generations past.

At Atlanta's Ebenezer Baptist Church, where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. preached, Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights hero, said he was hardly able to believe that 40 years after he was left beaten and bloody on an Alabama bridge as he marched for the right for blacks to vote, he had cast a ballot for Obama.

"This is a great night," he said. "It is an unbelievable night. It is a night of thanksgiving."

As the news of a projected Obama victory flashed across a TV screen, men in the nearly all-black crowd pumped their fists and bowed their heads. Women wept and embraced their children. Screams of "Thank you, Lord!" were heard throughout the sanctuary.

Surveying the scene, Mattie Bridgewater whispered from her seat, "I just can't believe it. Not in my lifetime."

Bridgewater said she went to the same elementary school as Emmett Till, the boy from Chicago whose murder in Mississippi was one of the catalysts of the civil rights movement. Both she and her 92-year-old mother voted for Obama.

"I'm sitting here in awe," she said. "This is a moment in history that I just thank my God I was allowed to live long enough to see. Now, when I tell my students they can be anything they want to be, that includes president of the United States."
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    He is just as black as he is white.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • and this...

"His election speaks volumes for a bunch of people," she said. "Children of single mothers, people who put themselves through college. It says, you can do it, you can do it."

exactly.
    a self-made man, a success story in his own right. it is NOT about race alone...it's about a man who made his own way, an inteligent, articulate man.....whose ideals obviously reflect and emulate what many americans believe and want as well.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

No one is judging anything. I'm baffled by the lack of ability of some of you to recognize that this is a Hictoric Day...(without playing it down with "..") it wasn't just another elction, this means a great deal and it says a lot about how far the US has gone from the days of slavery and the days when black people were not able to vote.
    It is historic but if you really think people aren't judging then maybe you need to stop cleaning your pot on your album covers. :)

I'm not down playing anything. We have come a long way. Not far enough but it's a slow process for some people appearently.

You can't tell me he didn't get a tremendous amount of votes souly based on his race and not his views. I'm just glad it's over and honestly wish him well. No election is just another election, if you believe some have been then you really haven't been paying attention, IMO. I'm not taking anything away from what happened yesterday....I'm just saying when the smoke settles......there is a huge job ahead.
  • It is historic but if you really think people aren't judging then maybe you need to stop cleaning your pot on your album covers. :)

I'm not down playing anything. We have come a long way. Not far enough but it's a slow process for some people appearently.

You can't tell me he didn't get a tremendous amount of votes souly based on his race and not his views. I'm just glad it's over and honestly wish him well. No election is just another election, if you believe some have been then you really haven't been paying attention, IMO. I'm not taking anything away from what happened yesterday....I'm just saying when the smoke settles......there is a huge job ahead.

There you go making assumptions .... :rolleyes:
    I haven't smoked in a very long time, I thought what Ed said was a funny quote... (because it was an EV quote at the MSG not mine just FYI)

People bothered by the fact that the news are making such a big deal about him being black or half black need to get over themselves....

You are derailing from what the OP was pointing out, he was talking about today's media coverage not about why people voted for him.
    To me this election had MUCH more meaning that the last 2. Every election is important though this one was important and historic.
    There you go making assumptions .... :rolleyes:
    I haven't smoked in a very long time, I thought what Ed said was a funny quote... (because it was an EV quote at the MSG not mine just FYI)

People bothered by the fact that the news are making such a big deal about him being black or half black need to get over themselves....

You are derailing from what the OP was pointing out, he was talking about today's media coverage not about why people voted for him.
    To me this election had MUCH more meaning that the last 2. Every election is important though this one was important and historic.
    You're right, I was probably getting off subject a little.

...and I was just making a smart ass comment about your sig. Not meant to be a personal "attack"...wasn't accusing....

Everyone....EVERYONE wants change....I just hope he delievers.
  • You're right, I was probably getting off subject a little.

...and I was just making a smart ass comment about your sig. Not meant to be a personal "attack"...wasn't accusing....

Everyone....EVERYONE wants change....I just hope he delievers.

Just like you I hope so to, I gave him my support because he gives me hope but I hope every American voted for him or not, holds him to what he has promised and if he doesnt work out at all then we will all have again a chance to look for something different in 4 years.
  • Is it really an issue that merits discussion? I'm glad African-Americans have a renewed faith in the system and a sense of accomplishment. I share with them their sense of pride and hope.

Let them talk about race and unity all they want. We desperately need to overcome the hatred and vitriol that has been stirred for weeks prior to this election.
    the Minions
  • Is it really an issue that merits discussion? I'm glad African-Americans have a renewed faith in the system and a sense of accomplishment. I share with them their sense of pride and hope.

Let them talk about race and unity all they want. We desperately need to overcome the hatred and vitriol that has been stirred for weeks prior to this election.

couldn't agree more! :)
    actually, untrue.
    sure, he is referred to as an african american, but we are ALL well-aware that he is technically mulatto, and quite honestly...if discussing race and race only...i actually think it's even 'better' for lack of a better term, that he is mixed race, b/c i think that in and of itself is a symbol of america's changing face...we ARE mixing, and race should become a non-issue. whatever. if many want to think that we as a country are only focused on his race, believe wht you will...but it is far, far from the truth.

Well, exactly... Why do people pretend that he isn't half-Caucasian? No one took the mixed race angle and ran with it, despite the obvious implications for "racial harmony", etc. Instead, he's just black.
  • pateljampateljam Posts: 340
    He is just as black as he is white.

Thank you for bringing this up. Since people tend to ignore his white half...
    I think that is even more of a big deal that he is multi-racial...
    2000-10-28 San Bernardino
    2003-06-02 Irvine
    2003-10-26 Mountain View-Bridge School
    2006-07-09 Los Angeles
    2006-07-10 Los Angeles
    2006-10-22 Mountain View- Bridge School
    2008-07-19 UCLA-Who Rock Honors
    2009-10-1 Los Angeles-2
    2009-10-9 San Diego
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    and this...

exactly.
    a self-made man, a success story in his own right. it is NOT about race alone...it's about a man who made his own way, an inteligent, articulate man.....whose ideals obviously reflect and emulate what many americans believe and want as well.

Is this about Clinton or Obama. Sounds like the exact same thing they said about Bill.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • even flow? wrote:
    Is this about Clinton or Obama. Sounds like the exact same thing they said about Bill.

exactly.

and both got elected president no?
    so much for it all being about color....and maybe we appreciate the MAN and his ideas, not the skin color. funny too really, the only 2 candidates i've ever voted for the presidency that won.

the skin color just *is*....it IS a first for a person of color to be elected, just as if hillary clinton won the nomination, and if she won the presidency, it would be historic that she would be the first woman as president. would that be IT? no...of course not. it's simply acknowledging the obvious, and sure....appreciating that it HAs occurred, finally.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...