Options

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Girl

civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
edited June 2006 in The Art Wall
While cleaning the house last weekend, I came across my old portfolio from when I took art classes as a kid...
(between the ages of 12 - 15...)

So, I picked out the ones that didn't suck, and scanned them in... :)
(due to the size limitations of the scanner, I could only get sections of some pieces...)

Anyways, just thought I'd share....
I had a good time reminicing...

Love Civ.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/Art/Art%20Classes%201987%20-%201990/
~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    While cleaning the house last weekend, I came across my old portfolio from when I took art classes as a kid...

(due to the size limitations of the scanner, I could only get sections of some pieces...)

Love Civ.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/Art/Art%20Classes%201987%20-%201990/

wow, that is impressive.....for any age
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    civ, you are quite talented!
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    wow girl, those are VERY well done. you truly have a beautiful sensitivity with watercolor, quite apparent. i find it interesting that you are an engineer, looking at your art.....your attention to architectural detail, sense of scale, and good 3D representation....not at all surprising. thanks for sharing! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    thanks everyone! :D:D:D

d2d - drawings and sketches of buildings has always been one of the things i like to do best... i guess it is the geometry geek in me showing through! :)
  • Options
    thanks everyone! :D:D:D

d2d - drawings and sketches of buildings has always been one of the things i like to do best... i guess it is the geometry geek in me showing through! :)

i always liked drawing furniture and architectural details...but no geometry for me, thanks. :p

however, to me, one's artwork can absolutely show some predispositions. perhaps it's the art teacher in me showing through. :o ha. i think your true talents and interestes always show themselves, whether one is aware of them or not. at the age of 12 to 15.....much more accurate for showing possible lifelong interests.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    i always liked drawing furniture and architectural details...but no geometry for me, thanks. :p

however, to me, one's artwork can absolutely show some predispositions. perhaps it's the art teacher in me showing through. :o ha. i think your true talents and interestes always show themselves, whether one is aware of them or not. at the age of 12 to 15.....much more accurate for showing possible lifelong interests.

lol! my mom always says she's known i was going to be an engineer since Senior Kindergarten, because apparently I wouldn't play House with the girls - I always kicked the boys out of the Blocks area, and started building! :D
  • Options
    lol! my mom always says she's known i was going to be an engineer since Senior Kindergarten, because apparently I wouldn't play House with the girls - I always kicked the boys out of the Blocks area, and started building! :D

well you could've been an architect too. :p
    hmmmm...interesting, i have known quite a few kindergarten students, girls, exactly like that, would be interesting to see where they end up. then again, any of my former students, would be kinda cool/freaky to run into them down the road. not something i think about too much.....freaks me out a bit. haha.

anyhoo....cool work, was happy to see it!
    i don't have a scanner, besides the fact that my really ancient work - what's left of it - is in the attic.......so no sharing here.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    they are great and
    so lovely n sweet , they have that look ;)
    i too have a fair few fruit n stone jar drawings lol

thanks for sharing them
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!
  • Options
    V V wrote:
    they are great and
    so lovely n sweet , they have that look ;)
    i too have a fair few fruit n stone jar drawings lol

thanks for sharing them

thanks V V!

lol! fruit n' stone jar :) pretty typical art class still life, huh?

that's acutally the bottom half of the "tigerlillies", just couldn't fit it all on the scanner... ;)
  • Options
    V V - I re-titled it in Photobucket, just for you.... :D
  • Options
    winter farm is AWESOME.
    Give way to nature ...
  • Options
    winter farm is AWESOME.

Thank you TF2000!

There's acutally a lot more to that one... that was one of the ones that I couldn't fit on the scanner, since it's on masonite board, i couldn't bend it to capture the most interesting part... so all you get is the top corner! :)

When I get home, I'll try to scan the bottom corner so you can see more!
  • Options
    ok - "a lot more" is probably an exaggeration....

there is "some" more of Winter Farm to be seen... ;)
  • Options
    Here's the rest of Winter Farm

sorry - the flash made all the colours kinda crazy bright...

i like it better muted... like... well... winter... ;)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/Art/Art%20Classes%201987%20-%201990/?action=view&current=DSC00206.jpg
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    holy crap, thats fucking amazing

i struggle to draw a stickman
  • Options
    Thanks Brisk!

and again, to everyone...

:D
  • Options

Love Civ.

you were 12-15, ceg?!?! wow that is some astounding work for a person of any age...nicely done. thanks for sharing. i wish i still had some of my old sketches i did when i was younger so i could show you how much they suck compared to yours! :D

my favourite is winter farm, and of course i like the black and whites, especially the leaf study.

anxious to see some more sometime :)
  • Options
    you were 12-15, ceg?!?! wow that is some astounding work for a person of any age...nicely done. thanks for sharing. i wish i still had some of my old sketches i did when i was younger so i could show you how much they suck compared to yours! :D

my favourite is winter farm, and of course i like the black and whites, especially the leaf study.

anxious to see some more sometime :)

Thanks again Mookie - What is it with us and black and white pieces?? ;)

I wish I could see some of your old stuff too! and i'm sure it's impossible that they sucked.... you're wicked talented and you know it! :D

It's so funny that you guys like Winter Farm the best.... becuase frankly, when I saw it the other day, I didn't even remember doing it!

When I was little, I thought that oil paintings were all about sunsets and refelections in water (as you can see of a couple of the others...) if there were no colours to blend, i wasn't interested. A bit "Bob Ross" of me, really... LOL! ;)

But now, I like Winter Farm the best too! Funny how tastes change when you grow up... :)

xo
    Civ.
  • Options
    pinonpinon Posts: 427
    That is some exellent works, Civ_Eng.....wow, to be able to draw and paint like that !!!
    I like the housescetches and watercolour paintings best.... and the clown...and the trumpet.....lol... :)
    Life is too serious to be taken seriously
  • Options
    pinon wrote:
    That is some exellent works, Civ_Eng.....wow, to be able to draw and paint like that !!!
    I like the housescetches and watercolour paintings best.... and the clown...and the trumpet.....lol... :)

Thanks Pinon! :D

ooh! you just remined me to go check out your new photos... :)
  • Options
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v333/civ_eng_girl/Art/Art%20Classes%201987%20-%201990/?action=view&current=scan0013.jpg

WOW! 12-15 and you were able to create such beauty!!!! What are you doing these days, girl??? :) I loved this painting in particular, I'd hang it on my wall for sure! Please tell me you're still creating???!!! :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    i'm sorry civ, i missed dark reflection the fist go round somehow...of course i love this one! it's gorgeous! :)
  • Options
    thank you, Being Enlightened and Mookiebaby.... :D xoxo

and it was Mother Nature that created that beauty, not me! ;)

if i remember correctly, that one was done from a photo taken at my grampa's hunt camp...
  • Options
    thank you, Being Enlightened and Mookiebaby.... :D xoxo

and it was Mother Nature that created that beauty, not me! ;)

if i remember correctly, that one was done from a photo taken at my grampa's hunt camp...

:) You're welcome, {{{civ_eng_girl}}}!

Mother Nature may have created it, but you captured the essence. :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • Options
    :) You're welcome, {{{civ_eng_girl}}}!

Mother Nature may have created it, but you captured the essence. :)

thanks chica!

hey.... did i know you back in march?? ;););)

:D
  • Options
    wow, I loved sunset reflections and dark reflections. Is that watercolor? Those are great.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I escaped it...a life wasted...and I'm never going back again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    wow, I loved sunset reflections and dark reflections. Is that watercolor? Those are great.

Thanks boxerorabag! :D

the first 'sunset reflection' (the smaller image) is in watercolour...
    the second 'sunset reflection' is the same image done in oil on masonite...

dark reflection is also oil on masonite.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    and you're building condos downtown now?? ... tragic ... time to form this century's group of seven ... :)
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    and you're building condos downtown now?? ... tragic ... time to form this century's group of seven ... :)

LMAO!! yes - but i can build during the day, and paint in my spare time... we engineers are pretty good a multi-tasking.... ;):)

and the group of seven!! that's an incredible compliment - thanks polaris! :D