Options

Helped me Through

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I've been reading threads about how Pearl Jam music helped people through a certain bad time in their lives. I can't say music has help me through a bad time, but it distracted me in moments, and was always a part of time either good or bad.

Has music actually helped you, i.e., not just bridged the time between bad to good, but was the bridge you walked across from bad time to good time?

Now, some times I've been filled with so much passionate angry energy, and the way I've been able to release it was through writing poetry. That worked magic, and actually deflated the angst. So, maybe it's the same principle?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    without music, i would not be happy. a song can change my day from bad to good ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    tell ya what, Eddie and the boys got me through some tough shit. w/out them... i don't know.
  • Options
    prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    People may call me a traitor, but Green Day always cheers me up. Their music is just so fun (for me) and I have to control myself from dancing sometimes ;) Honestly, I really love that band, they get me through bad days a lot. Pearl Jam helps too, and are better musicians, but I can't lie. Green Day is my good mood band.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Albert Ayler.
  • Options
    Present Tense saved me.....
  • Options
    I think that music can definately help you through bad times. Especially with a lot of the stuff that PJ does, because Eddie is a poet and his words are so meaningful. Like in In Hiding I love the line, "I swallow my words to keep from lying." Everytime I hear that line, it just makes so much sense to me. It's weird.
    Eddie: "Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music."

Eddie: "There is a girl in the front and her shirt says 'F*CK ME EDDY'... well you'd have to spell my name right first."

Summerfest '95, Summerfest '06, BSB (1 & 2) '06, Wembley '07, Lollapalooza '07
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    According to a teacher of mine, music is a huge impact on mood. It affects it greatly regardless of if your happy, sad, confused, scared ect. The Pearl jam song Present Tense has a huge impact on my life. As the lyrics say, "You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can forgive yourself." Unfortunatley, I feel I am very guilty of this sentence. I hung out with some people that I thought were my friends, and it just seems that in the end I became the outcast, and drifted off alone. I often thought about the past and how things could have been different and alot better. I wish I could change the past, but I can only look forward into my future. I will enjoy my future to the very best and all it entails. I have forgiving myself for listening to people who are ignorant and think the know what's best for everybody. My former friends and I went down different paths, and while there wher alot of hurt feelings as we grew apart, I have forgiven myself for things I thought were my fault, I cannot count how many times, I have screwed up relationships, friendships, achievements, but I am determined to enjoy my life by achieving dreams that the others believe I won't. I believe in always trying things and always wonder what is. Present Tense helped me become enlightened with this new sense of thought and power. Music is very essential to life. There is a song for every situation.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    According to a teacher of mine, music is a huge impact on mood. It affects it greatly regardless of if your happy, sad, confused, scared ect. The Pearl jam song Present Tense has a huge impact on my life. As the lyrics say, "You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can forgive yourself." Unfortunatley, I feel I am very guilty of this sentence. I hung out with some people that I thought were my friends, and it just seems that in the end I became the outcasts, and drifted off alone. I often thought abput the past and how things could have been different and alot better. I wish I could change the past, but I can only look forward into my future. I will enjoy my future to the very best and all it entails. I have forgiving myself for listening to people who are ignorant and think the know what's best for everybody. My former friends and I went down different paths, and while there wher alot of hurt feelings as we grew apart, I have forgiven myself for things I thought were my fault, I cannot count how many times, I have screwed up relationships, friendships, achievements, but I am determined to enjoy my life by achieving dreams that the others believe I won't. I believe in always trying things and always wonder what is. Present Tense helped me become enlightened with this new sense of thought and power. Music is very essential to life. There is a song for every situation.

Awesome example!
    Eddie: "Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music."

Eddie: "There is a girl in the front and her shirt says 'F*CK ME EDDY'... well you'd have to spell my name right first."

Summerfest '95, Summerfest '06, BSB (1 & 2) '06, Wembley '07, Lollapalooza '07
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I'll make this short...

But I've met a lot of girls, who have had bad relationships with their fathers. Some have been abusive while most of them were just terrible and didn't care for them. Whenever I hear "Daughter" I think of all the girls I've met and it angers me that a male could be so disheartening to one of his children, especially his own daughter.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I say this all the time, but... "Music is excellent therapy!" (I think I might need to make me a bumper sticker!) I cannot remember a time in my life when music did not play a part- from Olivia Newton John to Barry Manilow to the Bee Gees to Michael Jackson to Madonna to Poison to Pearl Jam and on... there is a song for EVERY emotion. Whether I need to laugh, cry, vent... whatever, there is a CD in my collection that can help me do it. When you can relate to the song, whether it be the music or the lyrics, it can truly help you. Today was a Skid Row, "Slave To The Grind" kind of day... etc. :)
    "Music is excellent therapy."
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    danny72688 wrote:
    People may call me a traitor, but Green Day always cheers me up. Their music is just so fun (for me) and I have to control myself from dancing sometimes ;) Honestly, I really love that band, they get me through bad days a lot. Pearl Jam helps too, and are better musicians, but I can't lie. Green Day is my good mood band.

I totaly know where you are coming from, I very nearly wept with joy when American Idiot came out, the lyrics (even if you take the political content out) moved me in a way I was not expecting at all, and like you say the music is fun and upbeat which definitely helps lift a bad mood.

I've always used music to express the mood I'm in, and would be totally lost without it. Pearl Jam will always be the most important band to me, I grew up with them and can't imagine life without them. Chris Cornell's various bands and projects have always been really important to me too. He has a real gift for expressing emotion on a grand scale, and when I don't feel I can talk to people about my feelings, it's really helpful to me to be able to put a record on and hear someone else wrestle with those same kind of feelings. The key line I'm thinking of now is from the song Seasons "and I'm lost behind the words I'll never find", kind of makes me feel less alone if a huge rock star can identify with those feelings too.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    According to a teacher of mine, music is a huge impact on mood. It affects it greatly regardless of if your happy, sad, confused, scared ect. The Pearl jam song Present Tense has a huge impact on my life. As the lyrics say, "You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, or you can come to terms and realize your the only one who can forgive yourself." Unfortunatley, I feel I am very guilty of this sentence. I hung out with some people that I thought were my friends, and it just seems that in the end I became the outcast, and drifted off alone. I often thought about the past and how things could have been different and alot better. I wish I could change the past, but I can only look forward into my future. I will enjoy my future to the very best and all it entails. I have forgiving myself for listening to people who are ignorant and think the know what's best for everybody. My former friends and I went down different paths, and while there wher alot of hurt feelings as we grew apart, I have forgiven myself for things I thought were my fault, I cannot count how many times, I have screwed up relationships, friendships, achievements, but I am determined to enjoy my life by achieving dreams that the others believe I won't. I believe in always trying things and always wonder what is. Present Tense helped me become enlightened with this new sense of thought and power. Music is very essential to life. There is a song for every situation.

Good for you! It's funny how sometimes the answers are so simple, yet we can't seem to find them without a song.... I love the power of music! Especially in this song!

"Makes much more sense to live in the present tense..."
    Thank you Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    selfself Posts: 64
    kdpjam wrote:
    without music, i would not be happy. a song can change my day from bad to good ;)

Exactly.