Options

Damien Rice

JumpingtheGreenJumpingtheGreen Posts: 32
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Is this the wrong guy to be jumping on with? I think his album 'O' is soo fantastic. You know, the one that features "The Blower's Daughter" the song that was in the movie Closer.

Some people would say that he's a Jeff Buckley rip off. But damn, he reeallly, reaally touches me.

How about you guys?
The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I agree, he has really beautiful songs.

Volcano
    Cannonball
    Blowers daughter
    Older Chests

Powerful songs!
  • Options
    I love Damien Rice.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I really like him.... And Lisa Hannigan (sp?) who is on a lot of his songs has probably the most amazing voice in the world.

He is about due for a new album...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    yeah, "O" is a pretty good album, my friend had it a week after it came out... but things didn't start to catch until a year later or so... my friends used Blowers Daughter for their wedding song....
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I really like him.... And Lisa Hannigan (sp?) who is on a lot of his songs has probably the most amazing voice in the world.

He is about due for a new album...

about due?

I thought he was about due last year. O was an outstanding debut, but I wanted to hear more from this guy relatively sooner.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Blue11 wrote:
    my friends used Blowers Daughter for their wedding song....

Wow, that's a helluva wedding song. I bet a lot of people were standing there with their mouths open for that one. Just a beautiful song. And definitely NOT the typical wedding song.
  • Options
    I still don't get what Cannonball is about. Is it a true story?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    I liked when the show Lost used Delicate for the end of an episode. Hurley was listening to him on his headphones, and then his batteries died. It was at first poignant, then amusing.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    I liked when the show Lost used Delicate for the end of an episode. Hurley was listening to him on his headphones, and then his batteries died. It was at first poignant, then amusing.

That was Damien Rice? I never knew:O
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
    gabers wrote:
    Wow, that's a helluva wedding song. I bet a lot of people were standing there with their mouths open for that one. Just a beautiful song. And definitely NOT the typical wedding song.

Yeah, not the typical wedding song. My friends were captivated by "Can't take my eyes off of you". Especially with the lyrics the way they are at the end, just before Cannonball starts, goes something like "Till I find somebody else...."...I had to make sure the DJ doesn't play that part...that would have been bad.
    " All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
    Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,208
    Yup. Lost has a few episodes where the music they pick is perfect for the particular scene it's used in. My favorite is when they use 'Beyond the Sea'. First Shannon is singing it in French and then they use another version for the end montage or whatever. Beautiful TV right there.

On another note, Gilmour played 'Coming Back to Life' at one of the Chicago shows I went to last week. You would have liked it. I, on the other hand, went and got a beer. ;)
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    O is a fabulous album. I Love Eskimo, Cannonball, and Amie. Too bad it's now almost 4 years old without a follow-up.
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    I really love that record, it kind of makes me want to shoot myself in the face because it is so damned depressing, but its a great record nonetheless.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Yup. Lost has a few episodes where the music they pick is perfect for the particular scene it's used in. My favorite is when they use 'Beyond the Sea'. First Shannon is singing it in French and then they use another version for the end montage or whatever. Beautiful TV right there.

On another note, Gilmour played 'Coming Back to Life' at one of the Chicago shows I went to last week. You would have liked it. I, on the other hand, went and got a beer. ;)

I've seen a couple of PF tribute bands. Not ashamed to say when they play shine on, coming back to life and welcome...it makes me cry.
  • Options
    armyreservearmyreserve Posts: 209
    I'm looking forward to seeing Damien Rice open for Fiona Apple
    10/06/91 Hollywood, CA; 05/13/92 Hollywood, CA; 09/02/93 Hollywood, CA; 11/05/93 Indio, CA; 11/07/95 San Diego, CA; 03/29/98 (Dead Man Walking - The Concert) Los Angeles, CA; 07/13/98 Inglewood, CA; 10/24/00 Los Angeles, CA; 10/28/00 Devore, CA;07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/30/09 Universal City, CA; 10/01/09 Universal City, CA
  • Options
    Banana-RamaBanana-Rama Posts: 108
    Talented person. I love his music.
    "If you should die before me, ask if you could bring a friend" - STP

"Frugality without creativity is deprivation." - Amy Dacyczyn

Proud Supporter of the CAROLINA HURRICANES. GO CANES GO!!!
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    awesome. we played a couple of rice's songs at our wedding

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Is this the wrong guy to be jumping on with? I think his album 'O' is soo fantastic. You know, the one that features "The Blower's Daughter" the song that was in the movie Closer.

Some people would say that he's a Jeff Buckley rip off. But damn, he reeallly, reaally touches me.

How about you guys?

I'm not a big Buckley fan so I wouldn't know. I do love Damien though. I love Amy the best.

Amy come sit on my wall,
    and tell me the stories of old,
    and tell them like you still believe.
    Till the end of the century,
    There's a place for you and me.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    QballQball Posts: 283
    GO TO http://www.fabchannel.com Damiens concert is on 15-08-2003 also check out Ray Lamontagne he is amazing as well!
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Qball wrote:
    GO TO http://www.fabchannel.com Damiens concert is on 15-08-2003 also check out Ray Lamontagne he is amazing as well!

Thanks for the great link.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    His summer tour dates for anyone who's interested:

23 June USA San Diego, CA SDSU Open Air Theatre
    24 June USA Los Angeles, CA Greek Theater
    25 June USA Santa Barbara, CA County Bowl
    27 June USA Saratoga, CA Mountain Winery
    29 June USA Concord, CA Chronicle Pavilion
    30 June USA Saratoga, CA Mountain Winery
    1 July USA Bend, OR Les Schwab Amphitheater
    3 July USA Seattle, WA Chateau Ste Michelle