Options

New Tool = AWESOME!

AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
edited April 2006 in Other Music
I know a lot of people weren't initially blown away by the new Tool (leak), myself included. It wasn't as initially grabbing as Aenema or deep-yet-digestible as Lateralus. BUT...the more I listen, the better it gets. The album is just as, if not deeper than Lateralus. The songs are complex, unique, hard rocking and catchy all at once. The number of real songs are minimal, but they pack a huge punch.

Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days, The Pot, Right in Two are all astounding. There are a couple more real 'songs', but I haven't digested them enough to appreciate them yet. 10,000 Days is such a long song, that you really need to take the time and effort to listen and concentrate on it to get it. It's not a driving song or a lovemaking song. It's what Tool does best. It makes you think and it brings out dormant emotions. The Pot is undeniably catchy, but not at first. It is classic Tool in every sense, and for those who say Maynard doesn't give enough emotion on this record, you are sorely mistaken. The lyrics are great without falling into the pretentiousness the were treading.

I love Aenema and Lateralus, and probably still place them above this record, but it is an undeniable PROgression in their music, style and lyrics.
24 years old, mid-life crisis
nowadays hits you when you're young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    i've only heard the single so far and its pretty cool! i cant wait to hear the rest...
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    The album isn't as cohesive as Lateralus or as rocking as Aenima but there are some good tunes here. The album is a bit all over the place though, there is stuff that could be on Aenima (The Pot) and Vicarious which could be a b-side off Lateralus. Wings for Marie/10,000 days is awesome though.....
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • Options
    illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    Yes, TOOL has changed me for the better...sorry to say, but this music is much more spiritual then anything else out there...

SHIT THE BED.......
  • Options
    thesheffthesheff Posts: 59
    i agree that Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days, The Pot, and Right in Two are awesome, but that's all I really like. I think the album is great up through the Pot, but then it just sorta dies. Right in 2 picks it up again, but its right at the end - and the closer is not worth listening to
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    I've only heard Vicarious...and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • Options
    MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    The more I listen to it, the more I'm blown away. The Wings suite is epic, and gorgeous in its scope, all 18+ minutes of it. I'm very very impressed, and I wasn't at first either....

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    it is average ....
    The good songs(Jambi,XMDays,The Pot,Right in Two) are great but the bad songs(Vicarious..yeah i said it,Lost Keys,Lipan,Intension,Vigini Tres,Wings of Marie) are bad.

Wings of marie is terrible , 10,000 days is good though ...horribly place on the album though.

Kind of a regression creativly for them though.
    This cd sounds like it should be placed between Aenima and Lateralus.

hoping for more than 4-5 songs after the wait.

6.5 out of 10
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    I just heard Vicarious today and it's AWESOME!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    I feel sorry for tool fans............its been a long time since lateralus and all they get is a handful of decent songs and a single that sounds like schism
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    DieasGrey wrote:
    Wings of marie is terrible , 10,000 days is good though ...horribly place on the album though.

they really couldn't place 10,000 days anywhere else other than after Wings for Marie...they make up one 17 minute song that ended up being split into two in production ;)
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    Abneriel wrote:
    they really couldn't place 10,000 days anywhere else other than after Wings for Marie...they make up one 17 minute song that ended up being split into two in production ;)

yeah i know . Hence the name 10,00 days (Wings pt.2)

i mean them both as a whole it kills all momentum the cd had going for it.
    Vicarious and Jambi get the cd rocking and then dead.....
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    This shit kicks ass.. Had a buddy send me the downloads and am listening to "Right in Two" at this very moment. Sure it's got some filler, but what Tool album doesn't ('cept maybe Undertow)? The Pot just came on (2nd time around) and am really digging it big time. Only thing that blows is my CD burner is fucked so I can't put this on a CDR and crank it in my truck. But sure as shit May 2nd I get this AND PJ right after work at the local Best Buy and rock my motherfuckin brains out all Tuesday night...
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    I feel sorry for tool fans............its been a long time since lateralus and all they get is a handful of decent songs and a single that sounds like schism

I have to disagree. I wasn't too impressed with Schism, and still think it's the weakest of Lateralus. Vicarious may sound like it in places, but it is far better than Schism. It's catchier, more epic, and the ending is intense! One of the best on the record.
  • Options
    I really don't understand the bitching about "filler" on the new album. Every Tool album has filler tracks... and they are usually at the end...except on Aenima where they were scattered throughout.

Undertow - Disgustipated
    Aenima - Message to Harry Manback, Intermission, Die er von Satan, (-) Ions
    Lateralus - Triad, Faaip De Oaid

The new record does sort of slow down around the whole indian chanting track... but the first five tracks are pretty much off the hook.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Listen to Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned at a high volume, while really high, and you will see the light. Maybe not, but its one of Tool's most intense tracks to date.

You know that feelin, when you are a little too high, and the music has alot goin on, maybe to much to process at once, and your head feels like its about to cave in. Thats what LK/RS is like every time.

Again, Wings for Marie is the most amazing piece of work Tool has ever done, aside from maybe The Grudge.
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    Brink wrote:
    I really don't understand the bitching about "filler" on the new album. Every Tool album has filler tracks... and they are usually at the end...except on Aenima where they were scattered throughout.

Undertow - Disgustipated
    Aenima - Message to Harry Manback, Intermission, Die er von Satan, (-) Ions
    Lateralus - Triad, Faaip De Oaid

triad isn't a filler, perhaps you mean mantra and also eon blue apocalypse
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    can anyone post a link to vicarious??? i cant find it anywhere, it would be deeply appreciated...
    8.29.00-4.29.03-4.30.03-5.2.03-7.2.03-7.3.03-7.8.03-7.9.03-7.11.03-9.28.04-9.29.04-10.1.04- 10.2.04-10.3.04-5.12.06-5.24.06-5.25.06
    ...i know all the rules but the rules do not know me, guaranteed...
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    pjamdude69 wrote:
    This shit kicks ass.. Had a buddy send me the downloads and am listening to "Right in Two" at this very moment. Sure it's got some filler, but what Tool album doesn't ('cept maybe Undertow)? The Pot just came on (2nd time around) and am really digging it big time. Only thing that blows is my CD burner is fucked so I can't put this on a CDR and crank it in my truck. But sure as shit May 2nd I get this AND PJ right after work at the local Best Buy and rock my motherfuckin brains out all Tuesday night...

That was my second move after I got the leak, get it to CD-R, and let me tell you what a difference the open road makes with a cd cranked on the stereo. I just took it out of the cd player this morning for a little Lateralus. I can't wait to get the official product next week.
  • Options
    vedhead10vedhead10 Posts: 40
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
    And beat their brother down.
    How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
    To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Amen to that MJK.

This new album IS an acid trip. It will open your third eye if they hadn't already pried it open.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    10/19,20/96 11/15/97 7/16/98 10/30,31/99
    10/30,31/00 10/20,21/01 6/1/03 10/25,26/03
    7/13,15,16,18/06 4/5,7,8/08, 8/28/09, *7/9,11,12/11*
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    vedhead10 wrote:
    Monkey killing monkey killing monkey over pieces of the ground.
    Silly monkeys give them thumbs they make a club,
    And beat their brother down.
    How they survive so misguided is a mystery.
    Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability,
    To live tonight in heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.

Amen to that MJK.

This new album IS an acid trip. It will open your third eye if they hadn't already pried it open.

Thanks for that! I caught some of the lyrics, but couldn't decipher it all behind the face melting music. :) Great lyrics. SO happy to be a fan of such intelligent bands as Tool and PJ.
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Listen to Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned at a high volume, while really high, and you will see the light. Maybe not, but its one of Tool's most intense tracks to date.

You know that feelin, when you are a little too high, and the music has alot goin on, maybe to much to process at once, and your head feels like its about to cave in. Thats what LK/RS is like every time.

Again, Wings for Marie is the most amazing piece of work Tool has ever done, aside from maybe The Grudge.

huh?! The Grudge?!!? I agreed with your post up until that point, Lateralus was a write off, The Grudge was boring as shit. Wings for Marie is the best thing since Hooker with a Penis, and basically anything off Undertow or Aenima.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    How Carzy Is That Everybody Who L.oves Pj Is Also A Toolarmy Member That Fucken Rules As Does The New Tool Album Im Listening To Right Now!!!!
  • Options
    Aren't you guys too old for this? Or maybe you are still in high school.

I liked Tool when I was 15 and my world was fake angst ridden. Sorta like Tool.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    huh?! The Grudge?!!? I agreed with your post up until that point, Lateralus was a write off, The Grudge was boring as shit. Wings for Marie is the best thing since Hooker with a Penis, and basically anything off Undertow or Aenima.

I can play 75% of Tool's actual songs on guitar, and while alot of them arent real hard, the timing of The Grudge makes it fairly tricky to play. One of the hardest Tool songs for me to master completely.

I dunno, maybe you need to turn it up to 11.
  • Options

You obviiously lost your head if you think XMDays is better than Lateralus.
    Wings part 1 is a waste of time....XMdays is great though. I can think of better songs though (Pushit, Reflection, Lateralus, 4 deg.)
  • Options
    LBC1076LBC1076 Posts: 224
    Aren't you guys too old for this? Or maybe you are still in high school.

I liked Tool when I was 15 and my world was fake angst ridden. Sorta like Tool.

What is your point?

You are over them, but some of us still enjoy the music. It certainly has nothing to do angst, fake or real.

Your opinion vs mine, no winner.
  • Options
    man, just saw this, if you havent seen it, check it...Maynard Old School...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXr40gl9_k&search=maynard

holy moly.
    "I had a false belief, I thought I came here to stay...We're all just visiting...All just breaking like waves."
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    www.fearedandloathed.com
  • Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,803
    vedhead10 wrote:
    man, just saw this, if you havent seen it, check it...Maynard Old School...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKXr40gl9_k&search=maynard

holy moly.

ahahahahahhahaahhaha. that is the greatest thing i've ever seen! Right up their with Dimebag in his hair days... maybe worse! Thanks for that.