Options

I'm Lovin' the New Ben Harper

eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Both Sides of the Gun

Two words, folks- BUY IT. It's exxxxxcellent. BOTH sides. :)

I made a prediction on the Porch that Ben will be a surprise additional guest on SNL this week and will perform his song, "Gather 'Round the Stone" with Ed and maybe two guitars. :D It's a really good anti-war tune that's very catchy, kinda gospel/folk, and I further predict that PJ will cover it during the tour.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST! Remember me when you're singing and clapping along to it at your show. ;)

Here are the lyrics:

hey hey hey hey gather 'round the stone

you're too young to know
that you're too young to go
there's no freedom to be found
lying face up in the ground

ashes from an unfinished life
are all that's left
in a teardrop-shaped locket
hanging from his mother's chest

you whip the back of freedom
'til it bleeds an oil stream
then you sail down upon it
in your killing machine

old men who send children
off to die in vain
they will hear death's constant whisper
call, "remember my name"

Life is the riddle
Of which we're caught in the middle.
A couple of lucky ones
Tangled up in too much love
~cowboy junkies
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I really dig this album, too. I haven't even listened to the acoustic disc yet because I'm still too into the electric side to move on from it. I especially love the last track, serve your soul. I bet it will turn into a major jam live.
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    I just heard Better Way on Letterman. Ben's awesome!
  • Options
    i love it.

if you got the bonus disc.. the live version of get it like you like it is awesome :)
  • Options
    I love Both Sides of The Gun!!

I like the soft side better than the rockin' one....but I really do love both!!

I was so amazed with this release...Ben still has it in him :):)

I was lucky enough to meet him Monday night :):)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    I'm definately turning around on this album, the first couple of listens I was not impressed. I still don't think its a great album from start to finish but has some great songs. The bonus disc is a must though. My favs are

gather around the stone(much better live)
    morning yearning
    waiting for you
    get it like you like it
    SERVE YOUR SOUL(my pick for best song)

P.S. Does anybody know why Dressed in Black is not on the album, glad to see he's playing it live still.
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    I'm lovin' it as well. Particularly the more mellow CD. They are both good, however.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    My fav. Get it like you like it...

"It costs a lot to look this cheap"

Love that...
    No need to be void,.. or save up on life,...
    Got to spend it all,.....

"Those who dance are called insane by those who don't hear the music." EV

1-14-95, 9-04-00, 7-01-03, 5-30-06, 10-21-06, 10-22-06, 6-17-08, 6-22-08, 8-16-08 E.V., 6-15-09 E.V., 10-28-09, 5-13-10.
  • Options
    pjdude24pjdude24 Posts: 19
    great album, especially the more rockin' one. the acoustic one is great too, but it is very sad and right now, it it just hard to listen to. both great though!
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    I love the album and did from the first time I listened to it. Both sides are great, but right now I'm likin the harder side a little more.
    Her?
  • Options
    mobbermobber Posts: 14
    love ben. liked the album.

wish he'd rock a little more. since "the innocent criminals" started writing with him, he's swayed away from the 'ground on down's and 'glory & consequence's...

he used to have the best cover songs as well. from jimi to led zep to superstition, always was the show stopper.

not one rockin track on either disc, but good album though.
    "I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turn up..."
  • Options
    USCJeffUSCJeff Posts: 92
    I must be in the minority, but I dont love this album.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Wow. I've never really listened to Ben before, but I went out on a limb and bought this disc at lunch today. It's fantastic.... I gotta say, I'm impressed.