Options

Sunny day real estate

biffy clyrobiffy clyro Posts: 148
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Hey,just discovered them...any fans on here?Great sounding band.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I have diary and i like it okay..............the vocals are always what makes this band just average to me though. reminds me too much of the emo screamers today.
  • Options
    Ltrain76Ltrain76 Posts: 26
    i like them. Other than diary the rest of the stuff is weak. the second album has a few good tracks. but diary is a classic!
  • Options
    franziskafranziska Posts: 11
    Hey,just discovered them...any fans on here?Great sounding band.

sounds great.. i like them... nice voice
    Crumbling images no longer comfort me.
  • Options
    hoonbeamhoonbeam Posts: 24
    Yes I do. Diary is great! How could you not love 7 or Circles? This album can be depressing 'though. I really like How it Feels to be Something on as well...Especially the track Every Shining Time You Arrive. LP2 has some great music but the vocals are kinda muddy for my tastes. The Rising Tide has some really cool tracks too. I would almost consider it a prog album. There are elements that are reminiscent of Yes.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    If you like them, check out Jeremy's other band, The Fire Theft.
  • Options
    Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    enharmonic wrote:
    If you like them, check out Jeremy's other band, The Fire Theft.

I was going to say the same thing. Are they working on anything new? Their S/T album came out 2+ years back.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Fortunately I was able to see them right when Diary was released. They are a great band and that is a great album.

This was the 1st band I'd ever heard the term "emo" for. Now when I hear shit like "My Chemical Romance" and the term "emo" I cringe and think this is no where near "emo" if that was what SDRE were.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    SDRE was pretty much textbook second wave emo, and pretty great stuff at that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    I was going to say the same thing. Are they working on anything new? Their S/T album came out 2+ years back.

Jeremy is finishing up his second solo album now, and he will be playing at Lolla and touring some this summer.

Expect at least a year wait for the second Fire Theft album unfortunately.

Diary is one of my top 5 records I own, I probably have listened to that album more than anything else ever.

Long live SDRE, and long live the one and only Jeremy.

PS. if you like SDRE or TFT, go out and find his first solo album, Return of The Frog Queen, it's fucking brilliant.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    One of my favorite bands of all time. Enigk is probably my favorite male singer around today...Hoon being dead. They got better with every record in my mind.

If you like them get The Fire Theft which is SDRE minus Dan Hoerner. Great record and I wish they'd make another one soon.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926

AFAIK, they have another album done, but Jeremy is doing a lot of solo work. I saw TFT here in Baltimore, and they were a very powerful live band...huge sound, and the music sounded even better live if you can believe it.
  • Options
    Back in the day(Mid-90's) they were my favorite band. I really only got into the first two albums. I agree that Jeremy's a good singer but i found it incredibly difficult to make out the lyrics. I wanted to sing along but I couldn't. It sounded garbled to me. I'd say Diary is their best work also.
    "This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" - The Young Ones
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I like a lot of their stuff, but my favorite song of theirs (and one of my all-time favorites) is off of Rising Tide. "Faces In Disguise" is just beautiful. It's got that Given To Fly ebb and flow feel to it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Diary is very cool.

I remember my ex played the album i had never heard the guys i was like wow who is that. I've loved the album since that day.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I LOVE SDRE! They are such a GREAT band! Got into them during my college radio stint...fell in love w/"Killed By An Angel" and "In Circles" GREAT stuff! I highly recommend their Pink album, (i forgot what it is called :p)

You know, the members of SDRE are still together, but now they are a different band: The Fire Theft. :) They are a great band to see live
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I LOVE SDRE! They are such a GREAT band! Got into them during my college radio stint...fell in love w/"Killed By An Angel" and "In Circles" GREAT stuff! I highly recommend their Pink album, (i forgot what it is called :p)

You know, the members of SDRE are still together, but now they are a different band: The Fire Theft. :) They are a great band to see live
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn