Options

- R.I.P Layne Staley >> August 22, 1967 – April 5, 2002<< -

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
edited April 2006 in Other Music
its just turned 01:39am, april 5th.

August 22, 1967 – April 5, 2002
Its been 4 years since Layne died. For those who dont know, lead singer of Alice in chains.

Thanks for the music man, R.I.P

Think i'll watch MTV unplugged later on :)

are you wearing yours?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ALICE-IN-CHAINS-TRIBUTE-TO-LAYNE-SIZE-LARGE_W0QQitemZ8403742396QQcategoryZ28022QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
I know iam wearing mine

A little video to remember him by:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QshtQhp51t4&search=staley

Thanks Layne

Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i lit a candle for layne, and for kurt. it will burn until midnight. then i remembered that i was still here.
    thanks for the music guys.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    reachdown12reachdown12 Posts: 693
    I have so much respect and love for both Kurt and Layne. To represent them both I made a shirt dedicated to the both of them, showing the equal love..as, no offense, most tend to only remember Kurt and lay Layne aside on this day. I want to show the beauty of both to the best extent..equally.

As this is a thread for Layne, I would like to touch upon his many artistic talents even with the self-conflicting battles which came forthwith in him. He truly impacted me, lyrically, vocally, even captivated through a beautiful, childlike soul so troubled..he fought for so long with his drug addiction, and so unfortunately, we lost a gracious talent, even more so, human being. But when remembering him, not for his downfalls, but his talent and his undying passion within his music, it is a force so brilliant and magnificent, one can't help but fall trap to him and his creations. I could truly say a million more things about him, but for now..Rest In Peace Layne..forever in our hearts you shall remain...
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Layne Staley in my book, was the greatest musician to ever live next to Eddie Vedder. His music will always be there for me.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    Such a tragic death. It's really eerie listening to songs like Grind. It's almost as if he had forseen his own death.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • Options
    DeadermanDeaderman Posts: 49
    Actually, Jerry wrote Grind...but whatever....

I'll remember Layne....not that he left us so early....but that he left us with so much...
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    Deaderman wrote:
    Actually, Jerry wrote Grind...but whatever....

I'll remember Layne....not that he left us so early....but that he left us with so much...

I stand corrected. But its still kind of chilling to listen to now.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    can't believe it's been 4 years...will never forget the 20th April 2002 when most of us found out he was gone...

RIP
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    Layne was a bad-ass motherfucker, hard to believe it's been four years... 4/20/02 I was at my buddies pad gettin hammered for his 30th b-day and someone mis-heard on the radio that it was "the lead singer of STP" that they had found dead. So we were all kinda bumming (but not completely surprised) that Scott Weiland had kicked the bucket. Finally found out a few hours later in a completely drunken haze that it was indeed Layne Staley. Blew me the fuck away, even though they hadn't released anything in a few years, AIC was still one of my fav bands (and still is today)... Actually started listening to them right before I got into PJ back in '91. "Man in the Box" was takin over radio, and to this day "Facelift" is still my fave album by them.

And 12 years ago this week they found Kurt too... Two of the greatest artists of our time gone.. Fuckin sucks..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    R.I.P Layne..
    he is by far my favorite lead singer to ever live. thanks for the great voice that you shared layne!!
    much love
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Thanks for starting this thread. Layne's music touched me as much as anyone's outside of Pearl Jam. I am going to go put Don't Follow on now (yes I know Jerry wrote it).
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    can't believe it's been 4 years...will never forget the 20th April 2002 when most of us found out he was gone...

RIP
    same here. thank you for posting this I BrisK I.
    Thank you for all your music Layne...RIP. So many AIC songs, and all the Mad Season stuff is capable of bringing me to tears--it's so hauntingly beautiful. Definitely one of my favorite voices in music...
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Well now it's "technically"APRIL 5th here...but honestly, every day feels like today. This is a loss too huge to ignore. I miss Layne every second. :( Why Layne????:( It just breaks my heart. It's very seldom that we have a voice, a talent, a spirit come along like this. So completely unique, so completely untouchable with it's power, impact and greatness. There aren't even words worthy enough of expressing my complete love & respect for the guy! I can't believe it's been this long!!!!:(

This is one of my FAV tributes ever...
    http://layne.meyer-3d.com/tribute.html

I miss this face so much.
    What a beautiful soul.

{{{RIP LAYNE}}}

THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU GAVE!!! THE AIC will be in heavy rotation today and I will FOR SURE BUMP my thread later on today. This band and this man really have touched my life in an amazing way. LONG LIVE AIC!!!!!!!! LAYNE~~~>your voice, your POWER....forever lives on!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    I will celebrate the life and music of Layne tonight. He will always live in our hearts! God Bless his family and friends on this tough day. A musical talent taken too early. Layne will always live through his touching music!

RIP~ Layne Staley~ you will always be remembered.
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    Bump

• Options
    jemmsjemms Posts: 664
    Much <3 for staley, fckn fantastic voice! and great music <3 mad season and alice in chains!!! R.I.P. i'm sure

and it is weird how cobain & staley both passed away on mccready's birthday. :( totally sucks. Respect for both staley and cobain.
    OFFICIAL AUSTRALIAN TOUR MEMBER #77

Ten Club (289xxx)

http://www.myspace.com/k_r_y_s_t_i_e

www.rarerecords.com.au =)
  • Options
    jemms wrote:
    Much <3 for staley, fckn fantastic voice! and great music <3 mad season and alice in chains!!! R.I.P. i'm sure

and it is weird how cobain & staley both passed away on mccready's birthday. :( totally sucks. Respect for both staley and cobain.

hmmmm

what are the chances!?
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I miss Layne. I miss Alice In Chains. But I don't want them to re-unite w/ out him. He was an amazing front man, lyricist, and musician. I too will watch Unplugged tonight in the candlelight, do a J.

R.I.P. Layne, we miss you dearly.

[Frogs playing now.]
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    God bless you Layne. The greatest rock vocalist ever, in my book
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Well now it's "technically"APRIL 5th here...but honestly, every day feels like today. This is a loss too huge to ignore. I miss Layne every second. :( Why Layne????:( It just breaks my heart. It's very seldom that we have a voice, a talent, a spirit come along like this. So completely unique, so completely untouchable with it's power, impact and greatness. There aren't even words worthy enough of expressing my complete love & respect for the guy! I can't believe it's been this long!!!!:(

This is one of my FAV tributes ever...
    http://layne.meyer-3d.com/tribute.html

I miss this face so much.
    What a beautiful soul.

{{{RIP LAYNE}}}

THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU GAVE!!! THE AIC will be in heavy rotation today and I will FOR SURE BUMP my thread later on today. This band and this man really have touched my life in an amazing way. LONG LIVE AIC!!!!!!!! LAYNE~~~>your voice, your POWER....forever lives on!
    Oh my god vedhead, when I saw that tribute about a year ago it nearly made me cry. At the very end after all those static pictures of layne, when it finally shows that short moving video clip it just hit me. I don't know why but something about the way he turns around, I can't explain it but it's very sad.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    He will be sadly missed.

One of the greats.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    defstevedefsteve Posts: 77
    4 years. Suck a fucking waste of a life. Had the pleasure of seing AIC numerous times in the UK in the early 90s. Also had the pleasure of hanging with them for drinks, etc. Very nice guys.

:(

Alice In Chains Friday 8th March London Marquee Club
    Alice In Chains Saturday 23rd March Birmingham NEC
    Alice In Chains Monday 25th March London Hammersmith Odeon
    Alice In Chains Tuesday 26th March London Hammersmith Odeon
    Alice In Chains Wednesday 27th March Cambridge Corn Exchange
    Alice In Chains Thursday 28th March Manchester Apollo

Alice In Chains Wednesday 27th January London Camden Underworld
    1992 - 3/2 Southend Esplanade, 4/2 London Borderline, 21/2 Manchester International II, 25/2 Nottingham Rock City, 26/2 Birmingham Edwards No.8, 27/2 Bradford Queens Hall, 28/2 London ULU, 6/6 London Finsbury Park
    2000 - 4/6 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2006 - 20/4 London Astoria, 25/8 Leeds Festival
    2009 - 17/8 Manchester Evening News Arena
    2010 - 25/6 Hard Rock Calling
    2012 - 20/6 Manchester Arena, 21/6 Manchester Arena, EV 28/7 Manchester Apollo
    2014 - 8/7 Leeds Arena, 11/7 Milton Keynes
    2018 - 18/6 London O2 Arena, 19/6 London O2 Arena, 14/7 NOS Alive
    2022 - 8/7 Hyde Park, 9/7 Hyde Park
  • Options
    defsteve wrote:
    4 years. Suck a fucking waste of a life. Had the pleasure of seing AIC numerous times in the UK in the early 90s. Also had the pleasure of hanging with them for drinks, etc. Very nice guys.

:(

Alice In Chains Friday 8th March London Marquee Club
    Alice In Chains Saturday 23rd March Birmingham NEC
    Alice In Chains Monday 25th March London Hammersmith Odeon
    Alice In Chains Tuesday 26th March London Hammersmith Odeon
    Alice In Chains Wednesday 27th March Cambridge Corn Exchange
    Alice In Chains Thursday 28th March Manchester Apollo

Alice In Chains Wednesday 27th January London Camden Underworld
    wow, you are soo dam fucking lucky, i was only 1 year old when you saw AIC!
  • Options
    Yeah, not much good music to hear live anymore...thank God Pearl Jam still plays for us, and hopefully the Smashing Pumpkins will get back together.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    We chase misprinted lies
    We face the path of time
    And yet I fight
    And yet I fight
    This battle all alone
    No one to cry to
    No place to call home

My gift of self is raped
    My privacy is raked
    And yet I find
    And yet I find
    Repeating in my head
    If I can't be my own
    I'd feel better dead
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Yeah, not much good music to hear live anymore...thank God Pearl Jam still plays for us, and hopefully the Smashing Pumpkins will get back together.

thats exactly what iam thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Oh my god vedhead, when I saw that tribute about a year ago it nearly made me cry. At the very end after all those static pictures of layne, when it finally shows that short moving video clip it just hit me. I don't know why but something about the way he turns around, I can't explain it but it's very sad.

Everytime I see this tribute, it gives me chill bumps. Very nice, thanks for posted Vedhead! WE LOVE AND MISS YOU LAYNE!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    4 years wow it still seems like yesterday.
  • Options
    cookie5798 wrote:
    Everytime I see this tribute, it gives me chill bumps. Very nice, thanks for posted Vedhead! WE LOVE AND MISS YOU LAYNE!

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago...it'd be nice to maybe see MTV2 or VH1 Classic have artists do a tribute show for him.

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio