Sleater Kinney

obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
edited December 2006 in Other Music
One of the gifts I received this xmas was the Sleater Kinney cd, "The Woods". Prior to receiving this gift, the only knowledge I had of the band was they opened for PJ on many occasions and Ed always snippets, "modern girl" at the end of "NFY". All I can say is, WoW. The cd has not left my car and I've been a desperate search on the internet trying to find out as much as I can about this band. Sad to say, I read the news they were on permanent hold. But I did find a excellent clip of them performing "Jumpers" on the Late Show. The cd is amazing and one can only hope they continue to tour with PJ in the near future, so I can be honored by watching both bands on the same nite.
San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lets call it love is a great tune.

you should get their older cd's. i think "one beat" and probably "dig me out" are better than the woods.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • I'm a big fan of "All Hands On The Bad One" and "The Hot Rock," but THR maybe a bit difficult for newer fans. Pick up those two the poster above me said. Also, S-K are on indefinite hiatus so...yeah...they won't be touring again anytime soon.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    lets call it love is a great tune.

you should get their older cd's. i think "one beat" and probably "dig me out" are better than the woods.
    Agreed.........."Dig Me Out" seriously rocks and "One Beat" also has some really, really great tunes on it.......some of the great modern day protest songs (post-9/11) can be found on "One Beat".

This was a killer band in concert........saw them open for PJ twice and saw them headline a gig........great, great rock band live.

Hopefully the live dvd will hit the streets soon. Check out the itunes store for hard to find stuff from the band.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • taratara Posts: 293
    finally a love for s.k thread (there'v probably been others, i just havn't seen them), i 'discovered' them about a month ago, and love love love them. here are a few s-k/pj vids on youtube that i like and thought i'd share

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SECZX8z7rh0 (isn't eddie the cutest here?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KfnYp-FiuIQ
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    The woods is a good album but i think dig me out is far superior, love every song on that album, especially the title song.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • The Woods fucking slays! What's Mine Is Yours is easily the best song on there.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    One Beat just absolutely rules. After I saw Sleater-Kinney in Quebec City in '05 open for Pearl Jam. I just loved them!
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    I loved S-K and am sad that they're now no more. I was lucky enough to see them in concert twice, at the last show I went to (last year when they toured for The Woods) I got to meet Carrie and Corin, they were just sitting at the merch table, saying hi to anyone who came up to see them. I just said hi and shook their hands, told them the new record was great.

And yeah, iTunes does have a lot of S-K stuff. There's a bonus track from The Woods available called "Everything", plus live tracks from their Lollapalooza performance this year.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    They are good rock n' roll fun...
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • SK Rock!!! i love em, the woods is fucking great, but dont expect any touring soon from the ladies, they are on hiatus
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    zircona1 wrote:
    And yeah, iTunes does have a lot of S-K stuff. There's a bonus track from The Woods available called "Everything", plus live tracks from their Lollapalooza performance this year.
    Their version of "Angry Inch" (inspired by "Hedwig and the Angry Inch) with the dude from the B-52's rocks, and I got it from iTunes as wells as the "Get Up" ep.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    After reading how everyone loved them when they opened for PJ, I regret doing what I did. I'm one of those who show up to their seats 15 mins prior to PJ taking the stage, always skipping the opening act, but I should of watched SK's set and now I'm kicking myself. Dammit!!!!!
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uAH0vNn2s

10-09 Spokane, WA - Fox Theater
    10-11 Boise, ID - Knitting Factory Boise
    10-12 Salt Lake City, UT - The Depot
    10-13 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
    10-15 Minneapolis, MN - Palace Theatre
    10-16 Milwaukee, WI - The Riverside Theater
    10-18 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre
    10-20 Louisville, KY - Old Forester’s Paristown Hall
    10-21 Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
    10-23 Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
    10-25 Washington, DC - The Anthem
    10-26 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE
    10-27 Philadelphia, PA - The Fillmore
    10-29 Boston, MA - House of Blues
    10-30 Brooklyn, NY - Kings Theatre
    10-31 New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
    11-01 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
    11-03 Toronto, Ontario - Rebel Complex
    11-04 Detroit, MI - Majestic Theatre
    11-05 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
    11-07 Houston, TX - House of Blues
    11-08 Dallas, TX - House of Blues
    11-09 Austin, TX - ACL Live at The Moody Theater
    11-11 Phoenix, AZ - The Van Buren
    11-12 San Diego, CA - The Observatory North Park
    11-13 Santa Ana, CA - The Observatory OC
    11-14 Los Angeles, CA - Hollywood Palladium
    11-16 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater
    11-19 Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
    11-21 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
    11-23 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
    New record produced by St. Vincent out this fall. 

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Awesome news!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,879
    I'll never understand the love for this band.  But, that's what makes music great as there's something for everyone.  I'll run my nails on a chalkboard if I hear them come on for a more pleasant sound. :grin:
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
    Carrie takes the vox on this one, not Corin.  
    To be clear though, I think Corin has one of the best voices in rock music today.

• Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    mfc2006 said:

Awesome news!
    So excited!
    Janet is leaving. Awful news
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Janet is leaving. Awful news
    Terrible. I can’t imagine anyone else sitting behind the kit.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    After seeing this I went and watched their Tonight Show performance. That is....definitely a different vibe.
    I love the new songs.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    WTF why?
    Why do I love the new songs or why did she leave?

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    This totally sucks about Janet leaving.  I had just bought tickets to see them this fall and she is one of the main reasons I wanted to see them.  Awesome drummer!
    edited August 2019
    How we feeling the new LP.

I'm all fucking in. Love the direction. Love these women. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited August 2019
    Also have PJ fans come around on them or is there still a close minded/sexist spin that they suck? 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I fucking love Sleater-Kinney!! Ran to my local record store as soon as I got off work and picked up the deluxe version on vinyl. Going to spin it after work tomorrow. Can’t wait. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    As a whole the album is average.  There's too much of the St. Vincent sound and I'm not a fan of her stuff.  There's a couple of Sleater-Kinney-like tracks.  The album is a short listen and maybe some of the others will grow on me.  I got tickets to see them before Janet left the band so I'm a bit disappointed as I really wanted to see her drum.