Options

Audioslave - Revelations

AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
edited March 2006 in Other Music
According to RollingStone.com, AUDIOSLAVE have set "Revelations" as the title of their third album, due in June. For the follow-up to last year's "Out of Exile", singer Chris Cornell wanted to explore a vocal style he feels closest to but has never touched on before: R&B. "I love rock music, but my favorite singers are not in rock bands," Cornell confessed. "They're Stevie Wonder, Mavis Staples, the CHAMBER BROTHERS."

Cornell's new role as a family man has had just as great an influence on his songwriting and his life. "As I'm getting older and I have children and my life is definitely settling down more, I'm really about family," he said. "When I'm not in the studio making records with AUDIOSLAVE, I'm at home with my wife and my kids," he continued. "So there are a lot of songs where I mention them — where maybe the subject is about something else, but they're in there. My family is my chief concern."
LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
YNWA
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    According to RollingStone.com, AUDIOSLAVE have set "Revelations" as the title of their third album, due in June. For the follow-up to last year's "Out of Exile", singer Chris Cornell wanted to explore a vocal style he feels closest to but has never touched on before: R&B. "I love rock music, but my favorite singers are not in rock bands," Cornell confessed. "They're Stevie Wonder, Mavis Staples, the CHAMBER BROTHERS."

Cornell's new role as a family man has had just as great an influence on his songwriting and his life. "As I'm getting older and I have children and my life is definitely settling down more, I'm really about family," he said. "When I'm not in the studio making records with AUDIOSLAVE, I'm at home with my wife and my kids," he continued. "So there are a lot of songs where I mention them — where maybe the subject is about something else, but they're in there. My family is my chief concern."

I thought this might have meant that they had come to teh revelation that the last album fucking blew ass and they were going to record a good album instead of one that hinted at possible genuis and one that is about as dissapointing as the last Weezer record
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    So is the entire album R&B or just a few songs or just one? Talk about vague-ness.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I thought this might have meant that they had come to teh revelation that the last album fucking blew ass and they were going to record a good album instead of one that hinted at possible genuis and one that is about as dissapointing as the last Weezer record

that's funny.

at least they're trying something different. perhaps it will work perhaps it won't. but you never know.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    din like Out of Exile..only liked 1 track being "Yesterday To Tomorrow"
    hope this album will be a huge improvement.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    mrwalkerb wrote:

Out of Exile had some great stuff on it, but I guess people's expectations are pretty high for this band. Oh, and I thought the last Weezer record was really good, so there!
  • Options
    Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    Audioslave, I'll give you another chance. There were a couple of good songs on the last album. But they need to put out a 'No Code' type of album. Every band does. Experiment a little. Well, in Audioslaves case, use a different riff.

Fuck it, Chris, just make another solo album.

Rage, get back together.

Weezer, live off the royalties from the Blue Album and Pinkerton. If you don't want to do that, try something new. Experiment a little.

I'm sick of bands that stick with what they think works, it gets old.

Wow, I'm cranky, I need a gatorade.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    mrwalkerb wrote:

I thought "Out Of Exile" was one of the best records of 2005. But I do agree the new Weezer was pretty disappointing. Definitely not as much as "St. Anger" though. I will never get over that one.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I thought "Out Of Exile" was one of the best records of 2005. But I do agree the new Weezer was pretty disappointing. Definitely not as much as "St. Anger" though. I will never get over that one.

Me either. Were there even drums on that album? Or was he beating on tin cans?
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Out of Exile was a standard run through of radio-ready rock songs by a vetern group of musicians who were too comfortable in their situation to make anything great. It is the definition of a 7 out of 10 album for me, there isn't really a weak track, but there isn't any standouts either. All of them are good, none of them are great.

This is their last chance with me, any album with Cornell on vocals should be much better than Audioslave's first two have been. We'll see how it goes, but I am with Dick Jones, Cornell needs another solo album, Euphoria Morning = pure excellence.
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    " Out of Exile " - ahh about 6 songs I liked....so hopefully this new album will be much better.

And I am probably the only person in the world who LOVED the last Weezer album...except for Beverly Hills I thought that album was excellent.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Yea, Audioslave definitely need to step it up with the new album, I thought the last one absolutely sucked. I didn't even want to see them on their last tour. Their first album made it seem like they had potential, but the last album was just regurgitated songs from the first one, but a step down. Anyway, I really hope the next one is good.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    "Out of Exile" was great!! I don't know why everyone was so disappointed with it...but yeah, Revelations should be something to look forward too!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    surely an email will go out to say its official from the band?
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Dick Jones wrote:
    Audioslave, I'll give you another chance. There were a couple of good songs on the last album. But they need to put out a 'No Code' type of album. Every band does. Experiment a little. Well, in Audioslaves case, use a different riff.

Fuck it, Chris, just make another solo album.

Rage, get back together.

Weezer, live off the royalties from the Blue Album and Pinkerton. If you don't want to do that, try something new. Experiment a little.

I'm sick of bands that stick with what they think works, it gets old.

Wow, I'm cranky, I need a gatorade.

I really liked Out Of Exile, but it really doesn't compare to RATM or Chris' solo work, so great idea's there! ;)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I think this band's best days are well behind them as far as artistic potential goes. Having said that, I have no problem with them making shit music for lots and lots of money. If I could, I would. I won't even try to lie about it.

Given the choice, I'd like to do something of artistic value AND financial value, but if I had to choose one, playing shitty music that no one will remember in 10 years sure beats working a desk job. I can do the stuff of artistic value forever after I get paid. The same cannot be said of the inverse.

The best bands today are the ones you never hear about, because they're too good to hit the critical mass, and they can't make enough money to survive. People like easy, forgettable shit. Figuring that out is an art in and of itself. Take RHCP for example. They've been making the same album for the last 10 years or so...but people keep buying it over and over again. That's genius...and that is the genius of Audioslave as well.

:)
  • Options
    JerzdevilJerzdevil Posts: 59
    enharmonic wrote:
    I think this band's best days are well behind them as far as artistic potential goes. Having said that, I have no problem with them making shit music for lots and lots of money. If I could, I would. I won't even try to lie about it.

Given the choice, I'd like to do something of artistic value AND financial value, but if I had to choose one, playing shitty music that no one will remember in 10 years sure beats working a desk job. I can do the stuff of artistic value forever after I get paid. The same cannot be said of the inverse.

The best bands today are the ones you never hear about, because they're too good to hit the critical mass, and they can't make enough money to survive. People like easy, forgettable shit. Figuring that out is an art in and of itself. Take RHCP for example. They've been making the same album for the last 10 years or so...but people keep buying it over and over again. That's genius...and that is the genius of Audioslave as well.

Enharmonic, I could not agree with you more.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
  • Options
    yeh i agree as well...if they dont do something different with this new one, people are gonna get bored of them.
    im already bored of them but i will give this cd a chance before bashing.

YNWA
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:

I could not disagree with you less!

I think the last Chili Peppers album was a great 'pop' album, and a testament to what great songwriters they are. Sure it wasn't like their older stuff, but so what? I think Out Of Exile was a solid album, not the best music we have heard from these people, but still a well crafted record. I think a lot of people, whether they will admit it or not, are put off by the mass appeal of bands like RHCP, Audioslave, Green Day etc, their popularity can be annoying, but it doesn't mean the music was bad. It's a bit like when Pearl Jam or STP came out, and they were seen as the commercial side of the alternative scene, and while to some extent that may be true, it didn't mean the music was bad. People need to lighten up, I'd take Audioslave over Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs etc any day.
  • Options
    KBaxter74KBaxter74 Posts: 30
    I really liked Out of Exile. I think the song #1 Zero was the best song released last year. But, again that's just my opinion. Guess I have to add Audioslave to my list of new albums to buy. PJ, Tool, RHCP, Live and now Audioslave.
    Cannot stop the thought, running in the dark, coming up a which way sign, all good truants must decide.
    -Immortality
  • Options
    I can't not love Cornell, he's a brilliant man. I'm looking forward to their next release. It couldn't come sooner!
  • Options
    EPhi1430EPhi1430 Posts: 33
    I can't not love Cornell, he's a brilliant man. I'm looking forward to their next release. It couldn't come sooner!

I just hope that he does not hurt the great legency he has created. To me he and eddie are rock gods like Plant for the generation before me and it hurts to see him so far from soundgarden and his solo stuff. He has one of the best voices in music, maybe his writing will come back
    Thats okay man, cause I love Frogs

Shows:
    7/2/98 8/18/00 8/20/00 8/21/00 4/21/03(Home town) 4/25/00 - cancelled:( 6/19/03 6/22/03 10/2/04 10/6/04
  • Options
    Wasn't Euphoria Morning an R&B album?

I'm confused?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Euphoria Morning is like, Alternative right?
  • Options
    I just saw their new video on MTV.

Audioslave feat. Nelly: Do It 2 U Like Dat
  • Options
    but seriously folks, I LOVE Rage, but I totally resent them for recruiting Chris and throwing his brilliant solo career off track. And now he's wasted the twilight years of his vocal chords. He can't sing anymore, his voice sounds like shit.
  • Options
    but seriously folks, I LOVE Rage, but I totally resent them for recruiting Chris and throwing his brilliant solo career off track. And now he's wasted the twilight years of his vocal chords. He can't sing anymore, his voice sounds like shit.

Saw them live three nights in a row last summer, and for the most part he sounded great. He gave up smoking at the end of last year and has apparently been taking singing lessons again, so I wouldn't write him off yet.
  • Options
    I hope Cornell doesn't change his style too much. Audioslave rocks. I don't want them to change at all. The only style I would want them to change to is Soundgarden.
    http://www.myspace.com/dgulley
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
    A human being that was given to fly...

Check out my band, Artificial Red:
    http://www.myspace.com/artificialr
  • Options
    icarus wrote:
    i was really excited about audioslave at first, then their first album really underwhelmed me. the first 6 or so songs are good and the rest of the album blows except maybe getaway car. their last album didnt really impress me at all and this one doesnt sound like it will either.

same for velvet revolver.

speaking of vr, i wonder when they're coming out with a new album
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I could not disagree with you less!

I think the last Chili Peppers album was a great 'pop' album, and a testament to what great songwriters they are. Sure it wasn't like their older stuff, but so what? I think Out Of Exile was a solid album, not the best music we have heard from these people, but still a well crafted record. I think a lot of people, whether they will admit it or not, are put off by the mass appeal of bands like RHCP, Audioslave, Green Day etc, their popularity can be annoying, but it doesn't mean the music was bad. It's a bit like when Pearl Jam or STP came out, and they were seen as the commercial side of the alternative scene, and while to some extent that may be true, it didn't mean the music was bad. People need to lighten up, I'd take Audioslave over Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs etc any day.

John Frusciante is brilliant. I also like Flea when he gets to do his thing.

I am not put off by mass appeal. I am put off by shit bands. There is little to nothin on the radio that is worth listening to for me. Nothing moves me like it used to. I will give Audioslave the exception of that Little Dandilion song. That's a good song.

Their record sales do not bear out my opinion of their music, and quite frankly, they have a huge fan base. So does the Big Mac. It's the same product in my eyes. Quick...easy...fills a hole...moves units. The accountants are happy, and so are the people who appreciate quick...easy...hole-fillers.It's a win-win for the suits and the people who are desparate for anything that reminds them of what good music used to kind of sound like.