Options

Our Lady Peace

Gallant88Gallant88 Posts: 58
edited March 2006 in Other Music
I've seen them with the Stones and they played a hell of an opener, well it was more of a festival.. but yeah. They were great! I'm seeing them again in May and I can't wait, what do you guys think of them? I think they're one of the best bands to come out of Canada in the past 10 year
September 22, 2005 - Halifax.. ahhh
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Gallant88 wrote:
    I've seen them with the Stones and they played a hell of an opener, well it was more of a festival.. but yeah. They were great! I'm seeing them again in May and I can't wait, what do you guys think of them? I think they're one of the best bands to come out of Canada in the past 10 year

I used to really like them but starting with Spiritual Machines it's been all downhill. Gravity was a pop disaster and the new one I just find a little boring but the first three and escpically Happiness is not a fish you can catch were pretty good
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Best band to come out of Canada EVER.

I've seen them live many times. I was in Univeristy when Naveed came out and they played our school about 5 times in my frshman yearI played pool with their drummer, just before their first album came out.

Awesome band.

I was living in the states when their most recent album came out and I had to buy it online. It wasn't in any stores.
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Arguably my 2nd favorite band... I've been debating posting in this forum on why I think Spiritual Machines should be counted amongst one of the great albums of all time.

No - I'm not kidding.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    NakedClown wrote:
    Arguably my 2nd favorite band... I've been debating posting in this forum on why I think Spiritual Machines should be counted amongst one of the great albums of all time.

No - I'm not kidding.

I would like to hear this explaination so please enlighten us, and I don;t mean that in a degrading "you're an idiot" wya I really want to see what you say and maybe give it another listen
    Best band to come out of Canada EVER

I'm sorry but no
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I used to really like them but starting with Spiritual Machines it's been all downhill. Gravity was a pop disaster and the new one I just find a little boring but the first three and escpically Happiness is not a fish you can catch were pretty good

I think Spiritual Machines was by far their best album, but ok...
  • Options
    WESWES Posts: 168
    OLP has put out some quality music... But they are not getting better with age and it's quite a stretch to call them the best band to come out of canada ever....
  • Options
    I enjoy them...I've only seen them once and it was quite a few years ago...they put on an amazing set, especially for an opening band.
  • Options

I've seen them live many times. I was in Univeristy when Naveed came out and they played our school about 5 times in my frshman yearI played pool with their drummer, just before their first album came out.

Awesome band.

I was living in the states when their most recent album came out and I had to buy it online. It wasn't in any stores.

I'd have to disagree with that but to each their opinions..
    Their 2 first albums were good but after that I found they sounded way too much like shit...to radioish..
    that's my 2 cents !
    Master of Zen
  • Options
    I like their music, and I used to like seeing them play when they were still playing in bars, but after seeing them play an arena show, I will never pay to see them again.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    I really like OLP. Only time I've ever gotten a drumstick at a show was theirs...
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I think Spiritual Machines was by far their best album, but ok...

I'll second that, amazing album. I don't think Gravity was as bad as some people say, it does have some good stuff on it. And if the new album was bought out by any other band it would be hailed as a masterpiece, it just doesn't sound that much like OLP.....
  • Options
    the hip, The guess who, Townsend, Triumph, Helix, GBS, Collin James, Mathew good band, Kim Mitchell, Neil young, Dave Wilcox, Jeff Healy, Sarah Mcl, Cowboy Junkies, Rush, blue rodeo, Trooper, joni mitchell.....

OLP is great, but the best?
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I like OLP, but i thought their last album sucked. Naveed and Clumsy are high up on my list of all time fav's though.
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780

NO WAY! Granted 'Naveed' and 'Clumsy' were great albums but that's where I lost interest. A short list... Matthew Good Band, The Guess Who and the Tragically Hip all blow OLP out of the water!
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Fuck Bob Rock
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    Yeah, fuck Bob Rock... Although Gravity did bring us "Not Enough"...which is GREAT OLP song...

I had posted yesterday, and someone had asked about, my opinion that Spiritual machines is one of the "great" albums, certainly of the last ten years.

I really have to put this down on paper before I post it... but I will...don't worry. I think though, front to back, it is one hell of an OLP album.
  • Options
    MoondemonMoondemon Posts: 93

Awesome band.

Just my opinion, but I think The Tea Party did better music than OLP..... and I think they did better gigs... IMO...
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"
  • Options
    1165 days to record paranoid ... what a big waste of time as the album is full of crap after the first 4 songs.

Bring back Mike Turner.

oh, and as for canada, Rush.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I love them on an album, but I went to see them live....and it was one of the worst concerts I've been to, I even left early. Maybe it was an "off-night" or something, but I was dissappointed. Still listen to the albums though.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    a good Our Lady peace show is just as good as a good Pearl Jam show.

and a great Our Lady Peace show tops any of the times ive seen Pearl Jam.

having said that, Gravity is a decent collection of songs, but a mediocre album, and Paranoid has some good songs, and some awful... but neither work as albums.
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Moondemon wrote:
    Just my opinion, but I think The Tea Party did better music than OLP..... and I think they did better gigs... IMO...

Agreed. That acoustic tour that the Tea Party did in '97 for Alhambra was amazing. I have always dug I Mother Earth more than Our Lady Peace as far as Canadian bands from that era go. IME put out some musically amazing albums and their live show is among the best that I have seen.

I also agree that Spiritual Machines is OLPs best album. It is very underrated.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    McCready00McCready00 Posts: 371
    Gallant88 wrote:

worked for that show (: Should work for the same company during this summer too... Got some collectible items from bands.. that was a great day. Roadie lifestyle rocks (:
    -"it's times like these you have to ask yourself, "what would mike mccready do"
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    a good Our Lady peace show is just as good as a good Pearl Jam show.

and a great Our Lady Peace show tops any of the times ive seen Pearl Jam.

having said that, Gravity is a decent collection of songs, but a mediocre album, and Paranoid has some good songs, and some awful... but neither work as albums.

I wouldn't go quite that far! While I love OLP, they are nowhere near as good as PJ live. Lately, Raine seems to be really off with his vocals. Watching him on Live 8 was almost unbearable. Same thing when they opened for the Stones in Moncton. They just don't seem as tight as they used to be. That being said, that isn't going to stop me from seeing them again in Moncton in May (Floor Row 2).
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've seen them twice live, once in a really small venue, the Bowery Ballroom in NYC and they were pretty damn good. I have all their albums, and I actually like Spiritual Machines, some damn good tunes on that one, like Life, Middle of Yesterday (my fav off that album), Are You Sad?. I liked Gravity, even though it was more pop than I'm used to and although it took a couple of listens I like Healthy in Paranoid Times. Some of those songs sound really good live and in person. And even though the new guitarist looks a bit like Howard Stern (nothing against Stern, I love him too!) he's really good.
  • Options
    funkymonk wrote:
    I wouldn't go quite that far! While I love OLP, they are nowhere near as good as PJ live. Lately, Raine seems to be really off with his vocals. Watching him on Live 8 was almost unbearable. Same thing when they opened for the Stones in Moncton. They just don't seem as tight as they used to be. That being said, that isn't going to stop me from seeing them again in Moncton in May (Floor Row 2).

I will go that far... when OLP is on.. they are ON.

I saw them in toledo and thought they were eh... i saw them 2 months later at the State Theatre in detroit... and that concert was a better show than any of the 9 times i have seen pearl jam.

and There is no question in my mind that Our Lady Peace typically blows their "big chance" sets.... they were awful on Live 8, and they were REALLY bad when they sang "somewhere out there" on Leno.
  • Options
    I've seen OLP three times, and the thing is, it's easy to see why Raine can have an off night. I mean christ, look at what that guy does with his voice. That can't be good on the vocal chords... They were "on" two out of the three times I saw them... the third time was just "eh..."

And when they are on, they are great. I won't say better than PEarl Jam, but they were really, really good.

One weird thing though - the last time I saw them, they put on a great show, just rocked a headlining gig at one of the Summerfest side stages (2002...2003...2001..somewhere in there)... and they didn't do a single encore. The audience hung around for like 15 minutes until we all finally looked at each other and sad "oh, they're really not coming out again...."

It was that show that got me hooked on the song Not Enough... dear god is that song amazing... a highlight off Gravity that should not get overlooked.
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:

And when they are on, they are great. I won't say better than PEarl Jam, but they were really, really good.

overlooked.

The thing about them is, they really really really seem to feed of the crowd like no other band i have seen.. and the state theatre show, if anyone was there in sept/02, was simply amazing...

Normally i am not a huge fan of the whole
    "You guys sing this part"
    "thats all you got? lets do it one more time" bullshit...

but supermans dead that night was "you guys sing that..."... followed by.. "that was fucking amazing, i want to hear it again"....

and they really seemed to be looking in awe out to the crowd by the end of the night.

They are very embraced in the detroit area, in no small part due to our proximity to canada....