Options

Natalie Merchant- seriously still good

edited May 2006 in Other Music
I'm a rocker at heart, but I always have/always will have a soft spot for Natalie. Great singer, writer, performer, humanitarian. Since leaving 10,000 Maniacs, and friendships with R.E.M., Billy Bragg, Wilco, etc., she has had a nice quiet but quality solo career. I think she has dropped off a bit in popularity since "Ophelia" and "Tigerlily", but everyone should know about "Motherland" and "House Carpenters Daughter". They are very political, and she has a new found deeper register on some of this. She has taken time lately to raise her first daughter, but I hope she will return. Her website is wonderful, a bit more quiet than this one, but some great dedicated fans post there, and have been known to be quite sharing people. Check it out, http://www.nataliemerchant.com
"The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Gotta agree with you on that one! Natalie still has what it takes to be a powerful singer/songwriter. I think we may be hearing a little more from her in the not so distant future.... ;)
  • Options
    Welcome, Sister Rose! Glad that you agree. You have good taste!
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    lol....thank you..and so do you!
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    yep, i love her!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    She has the voice of an angel. I love her singing.
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I sure didn't care much for Motherland, didn't know she had one after that. regardless, she is just a beautiful soul. oh that voice. It is a treat to see her perform live.
  • Options
    Natalie has actually released 2 albums since Motherland (which is one of my favorites)...The House Carpenter's Daughter in 2003...a collection of contemporary and traditional folk songs..and Retrospective in 2005...is a greatest hits type album and Retrospective Deluxe (at the same time) which is a Limited Edition (only 10,000 copies) that has 2 cd's - one is the regular greatest hits and the other is a collection of raraties that Natalie has done over the years...several from benefit shows....as well as a few never before released songs. Definitely a collector's item.

I agree, transplant, Natalie's live performance is certainly a treat!
  • Options
    Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    And seriously still hot too!
  • Options
    I think that's something I will also agree with!
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I was listening to an modern rock/acoustic only morning show awhile back, and heard her song "House is on Fire". I went out and got that record immediately. She's definitely got some awesome talent. Any good live dvd's out there worth checking out?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachio,

Live in Concert is an excellent video from 1999..here's a link to info for it:

http://stores.musictoday.com/store/dept.asp?band_id=526&dept_id=1867&sfid=2

Also, Natalie did an Austin City Limits episode during the Motherland Tour..(includes This House Is On Fire)...if you are really interested in it...or other live shows...(DVD or CD) let me know. I have a lot, I don't sell anything, but, we may be able to work out a trade or B & P...
  • Options
    Yes. Live IN NYC is awesome! You've got to see the live versions of "San Andreas Fault", and Katell Keineg's "Gulf of Araby".

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    Those two and Carnival are the best! :D
  • Options
    i love natalie merchant, great singer!!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    Yes....great singer and songwriter. A very multi-talented performer.
  • Options
    I've got a new music bug now, with the new Pearl Jam out, when is Natalie going to give us something new, and hopefully provocative.

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    Just dug out her first solo album tigerlily the other day, I had not heard it in so long but I caught because the night from the 10,000 maniacs unplugged show and it reminded me of it. I post over on the bt (brian transeau) board and would love to hear a collabo with them.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • Options
    sister_rosesister_rose Posts: 33
    I've got a new music bug now, with the new Pearl Jam out, when is Natalie going to give us something new, and hopefully provocative.

lol...you know the answer to that! ;)